XPS tattletale NanoE range and fail safe - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 03, 2017, 01:04 PM
The turtle deck is the back upper half of where the canopy goes.

I would put the receiver behind the wall. You always want to mount the receiver off of the center line of the aircraft.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2017, 08:53 PM
why does not someone else send me a picture of how to mount it. now i feel kind of all is marginal and if one wire is 5 degrees off the thing fails it should not be that way. i never had issues with my spectrum system, sorry but i have to say that. i like the XPS because it allows me to use the multiplex EVO 12.
erhard
Oct 03, 2017, 10:13 PM
Build more, websurf less
Erhard,

This equipment requires the builder to follow some basic rules for mounting. Follow them, and you will never have to think about your control link again. That is, until you finally retire the airframe and put the receiver in a new plane.

Paul
Oct 03, 2017, 11:20 PM
ALL 2.4GHz systems have the same mounting rules. It's a frequency issue, not a product issue.

You want to make sure that nothing blocks or alters the signal, simple as that. Moving wires around the antenna are a serious issue. Mounting angle is not critical.
Oct 04, 2017, 01:04 AM
can anyone please post a picture of their receiver install. i feel when things are so sensitive it is really scary and i never had an issue with my Spectrum setup. also i am flying not more then 150 yards away. to me that is all very close,
also why does teh nano sometimes blink when i power it up and sometimes it is steady on, this happens no matter if TX is on or off?
Oct 04, 2017, 11:32 AM
If you mounted your Spektrum setup this way (and the problem is truly signal related), the problem would be the same.

The Nano blinks when there is a loss of power to it, and the transmitter is on. You can test this by powering on the system so you can move the servos, then unplug power to just the receiver (transmitter still on) and then plug power back into the receiver. The Nano LED will then blink until both the transmitter and receiver power are turned off and then back on again. If your Nano is randomly blinking it means you are randomly losing power. Your first post states that the Nano is solid red. I am confused now!

How far are you getting in a range test?
Oct 05, 2017, 12:32 AM
ok sorry, there should not be any confusion. when i observed the fail safe kick in and landed the tattletale was solid green and the nano was solid red. but i had cases where i turned on the nano then the TX and i could move all the controls surfaces but the nano was still blinking. not sure what that means. anyway usually it is solid red when the TX is turned on as it should be.

i did the range test and can walk away about 50 paces (i think close to 125 ft) and all works at 60 it is shaky and at 70 clearly dead. receiver was about 12 inch from the ground.
Oct 06, 2017, 12:35 PM
If you EVER see the Nano LED blinking, it means that it lost power - no exceptions. So, if that is occurring, you need to figure out why the receiver is losing power! Of course, if it loses power then you will lose control. The Nano receivers have the lowest operating voltage of any receiver made for RC, operating down to just 1.8 volts. This is well below the voltage of where servos stop operating. So, you are likely losing complete power and not having a brown out.

Your range test sounds good. I would start looking at loose connections, like from the ESC to the receiver. This could also be a ESC issue itself, where the BEC fails when the ESC gets warm. This is a pretty common problem.
Oct 10, 2017, 04:04 PM
Hi All, this is how my nano rx is mounted in my PA KMX. I think this is good.

Fly safe

Charlie