XPS tattletale NanoE range and fail safe - RC Groups
Sep 30, 2017, 08:51 PM
Discussion

XPS tattletale NanoE range and fail safe

i need a little bit of help in understanding how things work.
i am flying park flyers and use the multiplex royal evo 12 with the XPS 2.4 GHz module, on the receiver side it is the Nano E. a few times spread over several flights i had dropouts during flying.
i added the tattletale - plugged in channel 6 -to learn more and i also programmed the fail safe condition to turn off the motor (electric) after 1 sec signal loss.
so today exactly that happened. the motor suddenly turn off and came back on again after about 1 sec.
then i landed i was expecting to see the tattletale blinking or something but it was solid green also the nano solid red. so none of these indicated a failure correct?
so how does it work to tell me there was an issue?
oh i also did range test before - not before today's flight though - and it all looked good. also after range test when walking away too far i had no indication on the nano or tattletale that the signal was out.
sorry to say but i keep on loosing confidence in the XPS system because i keep on having these dropouts for quite a while.
the receiver is powered from an ESC controller. the plane i am flying is the multiplex 330sc (foam) with all original multiplex components.
last year i lost a plane due to lost connection -(similar XPS system) motor was on and it flew away
any thoughts on what to check?

thanks Erhard

PS: i do have the RFU and X10 combo but never used it because somewhere Drew said the Nano receiver has similar sensitivity
Last edited by schrecke; Sep 30, 2017 at 09:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2017, 01:26 AM
If there was a loss of power, the LED on the Nano would be flashing. The Tattletale would tell you if there was a drop in voltage by changing from green to some other color. So, it seems that there is not a problem with your power system.

If you set failsafes so that the throttle goes low, then it means you had a signal loss issue. There are several possible causes. Start by doing a range test. There is a thread here with step by step instructions. Keep in mind that the EVO requires that you open the back of the radio and HOLD the programming button while doing the range test (unless you have v3.x EVO firmware and activated the RANGE test function from the front panel).

Can you take a picture of your aircraft and how you have the receiver installed? Any moving wires around the receiver? What is the environment like where you are flying? Are you flying around or with any FPV systems?
Oct 01, 2017, 11:20 AM
thanks drew. yes i remove the cover and push teh button per instruction on range test. no FPV is used. environment is clean. what about complete power loss. if i unplug the battery and replug in shouldnt the tattletale show. it does not. always comes up green like after a battery change. how would a signal loss be shown. i thought the nano should blink or so. will send a pic later
Oct 01, 2017, 11:30 AM
The Tattletale will not show you a complete loss of power. The Nano does by blinking - you can test this by turning everything on so you can move servos, then unplug the receiver battery and plug it back in (transmitter left on). The system will come back and the Nano will flash.
Oct 01, 2017, 01:47 PM
Jim i really appreciate your dedication to help your customers - many thanks. i will check.
Oct 01, 2017, 06:15 PM
you are right the nano flashes when power is lost so i really have a reception issue otherwise the fail safe would not have kicked in.
i hope this link works
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...COmKILkv0bDQyR

or this one
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...03TFRUMjVlaFJn
Oct 01, 2017, 08:38 PM
Build more, websurf less
schrecke,

Until Jim makes his comments I see something that can be improved. The antenna leads on the Nano receiver must be positioned straight out from the sides like I've drawn into your photo with red lines. Having them folded up like they are reduces the range considerably.

Also, I would tie down the servo and other wires and Tattletale and move them as far away as possible (at least two inches) from the receiver antenna.

Good luck,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Oct 01, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Oct 01, 2017, 09:51 PM
thanks Paul.
i had them in previous flights straight out as you suggest and still had this little drop outs and also range test seemed to show a little bit improvement with the current orientation. also the dropouts did not happen when the plane was far. at least i know it is not my power system that fails.
Oct 01, 2017, 10:24 PM
Yikes! That's an excellent example of exactly how you should not install a receiver!

See those wires above the antenna wires? That's a no-no! You can't have any loose wires passing over the antenna. Yes, the antenna wires MUST be straight out from the receiver. The receiver is also directly inline with your ESC/motor. Where does your battery sit? On top of the receiver? The receiver definitely needs to be moved from where it is, servo wires tied up, etc. I am curious where your battery goes!
Oct 02, 2017, 12:23 AM
wait a sec. the wires are not above the antenna they are on the side and the battery starts about 4 inch to the left going toward the motor - front is to the left. not sure why the pic is cropped as it is.
where do you want me to move the receiver? as i said before in earlier attempts where the antenna wires were straight out i also had the dropouts. i could move it toward the bottom side wall - side wall is perpendicular to the image plain. you want the antenna wires horizontal or vertical to ground when flying?
Oct 02, 2017, 02:18 AM
Orientation of the antenna doesn't matter nearly as much as making sure wires are not moving, it seems the Tattletale is above the reciever. Can you put the battery in the plane and take an overhead picture and a side view picture? You really need to have the receiver located away from large objects like the battery, and any wire that can move due to vibration and g-forces. When you do a range test, make sure you are checking from all angles.
Oct 02, 2017, 08:25 PM
here more info
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WNtoLwymN6DuJkc43

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VzAjIprvSbtxK8Y23

hope that helps. again battery is in the front after the ESC
Oct 02, 2017, 10:15 PM
Build more, websurf less
schrecke,

I would move the receiver to this position, keeping the antennas straight and also perpendicular to the sides of the receiver board. Place it high up in the cabin for maximum distance from the other wires and electronics. If the top hatch has any metallic finish it should be removed or the receiver also positioned away from that.

Also angle the receiver so the straight line made by the antennas is slightly away from being parallel to the center line center of the plane. This may reduce the times when either of the antenna ends face the transmitter during a flight.

Good luck,

Paul
Oct 02, 2017, 10:35 PM
I would stand the reciever upright or better yet, put it in the turtle deck, leaned against the back wall. I would definitely not lay if flat like that with the wires unsecured.
Oct 02, 2017, 11:39 PM
thanks both for the advice. sorry what is the turtle deck?
btw the cabin cover had no metals - all foam
thanks again
Erhard