Wich cheap glider would you recommend me? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 30, 2017, 02:45 PM
Discussion

Wich cheap glider would you recommend me?

Hi guys. I need a recommendation:
Iīm a medium experience pilot, I used to fly a .46 glow high-wing trainer until 10 years ago. Now Iīm living in a city with great sand dunes where I would like to start flying again, so I was thinking about an electric powered high-wing glider/plane, ideally with ailerons. Powered and with ailerons so being able to fly it also as a regular plane.
What do you think about planes like Multiplex Easy Star II or HK Bixler 2?
Which other would you recommend me for about the price of those mentioned?
Greetings from Chile!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2017, 03:35 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
There are a dozen planes very similar to the two you mentioned. Some have ailerons and some have ailerons and flaps if that interests you. They're easy to fly, but sometimes hard to launch until you get things worked out. The pylon mounted motor tends to push the nose down upon launch. Some come without electronics and you can choose the quality level parts you prefer. Those that come with electronics usually have somewhat poor quality parts. The end result will not be determined by what model you buy so much as what you choose to do with it. But yeah, that style of plane should be a very good choice for you.

Where will you be buying? Do you have appropriate local hobby shops or will you be mail ordering? Do you have a favorite RC supplier? If you can buy something local and maybe get questions answered and help, I'd go that way.
Sep 30, 2017, 04:00 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
All the Multiplex planes I have flown were EXCELLENT flyers ! Multiplex has other gliders besides the Multiplex Easy Star II , like the new Multiplex FunGlider . I would recommend A Multiplex glider over a Bixler .
Sep 30, 2017, 04:25 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Hmm, he mentioned flying in sand dunes. FunGlider has a nose-mount motor which will hate landing in sand. The pylon pushers he's interested in will do much better in sand. And while the Mpx Easy Star is no doubt a fine plane, when I looked it was only available as an ARF kit. If he should want PNP or RTF, I don't know if the EZ is available that way.
Sep 30, 2017, 10:47 PM
Sokol
Suggestions, in no particular order: Easy glider , Easy glider pro, Radian .
I guess that there is a very limited second hand market in Chile.

You may also try a sloping wing or plank without motor at all.
think along the lines of : alula , wisel , weasel, zagi, etc... (all easy to scratchbuild, for the cost of two servos, receiver , battery , foam , glue and tape )
Oct 01, 2017, 02:44 AM
B for Bruce
I don't think it's a glider you really want. Anything with a nose mounted motor that belly lands in sand will soon become very gritty and the sand could easily be large enough to wedge between the core and the magnets in the out drive bell. A more or less normal power style model with over size landing wheels so it has good floatation on the sand would be wiser. Like a Tundra Cub or something of that sort with big fat oversize wheels.... and then just don't ever nose over and scoop a bunch of sand into the motor.

You also mentioned the Bixler. While it may sort of look like a glider it really does not have the proper wing loading to fly like a real glider and ride thermals with no power to the motor. Also I don't think that it has ailerons either.
Oct 01, 2017, 10:31 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
The Bix 2 has ailerons and is available with and without flaps. Is considered a glider but not much of one.
Oct 01, 2017, 03:05 PM
Back in the day, we used to mount a " POD " on just about any glider . Might be just the thing, that way you can get just about any one you want. ENJOY !!! Red
Oct 01, 2017, 04:39 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
If you can get it , the ST Models Arcus has a retractable motor pod .

ST Models Arcus M build & flight review (11 min 26 sec)
Oct 24, 2017, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone.
I've been thinking about and looking for new options considering your recommendations.
My local store is selling this plane:
https://www.centuryuk.com/RC-Planes/...One-Sky-Surfer
for about 220 USD (plus battery and receiver... so add another 40 USD).
Due to customs topics, I think thatīs going to be better to pay a little bit more but getting it easier. Another advantage to others similars (high wing, pylon-mounted engine) is that itīs bigger for almost the same price and it seems to come with better quality electronics... or Iīm wrong? Any comment?.
Thanks again.
Oct 24, 2017, 08:51 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSSH.SCL
Thanks everyone.
I've been thinking about and looking for new options considering your recommendations.
My local store is selling this plane:
https://www.centuryuk.com/RC-Planes/...One-Sky-Surfer
for about 220 USD (plus battery and receiver... so add another 40 USD).
Due to customs topics, I think thatīs going to be better to pay a little bit more but getting it easier. Another advantage to others similars (high wing, pylon-mounted engine) is that itīs bigger for almost the same price and it seems to come with better quality electronics... or Iīm wrong? Any comment?.
Thanks again.
The Sky Surfer is one of the MANY clones made ...... of the original MultiPlex Easy Star . The SS will be fine , but if you can get the original ... that would be better .
Oct 25, 2017, 10:17 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
You do have to keep in mind that the planes you talk about, all Easy Star clones, are not sailplanes or even gliders, unless you consider a P-51 a glider. They're good for 75 mph and are made to fly under power. They tipstall like warbirds, which makes them great warbird trainers, but for gliding, they're about like gliding a buffalo turd.

Since gliders and sailplanes spend a lot of time at slower speeds, tip stall characteristics have to be nil. It's very important for a true sailplane that if it stalls, it does so straight forward. Sailplanes have the ability to actually gain altitude in thermals. You might be able to thermal an Easy Star clone in a garbage lifter thermal, but thermals that strong are very, very rare.

You can't get the experience of a sailplane with an Easy Star clone. Of course, that might not be what you're after! Choose carefully.
Oct 27, 2017, 03:22 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
The only thing posted indicating a glider was desired was the title. If you want a true glider with thermalling ability then the SkySurfer is a poor choice.

If you just want a first electric plane for general recreational fun flying, and you mentioned sand dunes, the SS would be an excellent choice. The fact that it's available locally is certainly a plus. Sorry RR, I have one of these...no way is it a 75 mph plane. More like 30 mph (stock). And while it's not a true glider, it does glide and you can extend your flight times a great deal by throttling up to altitude and then just gliding around, slowly decending. I might typically get 12-15 minutes aloft for 5 minutes of throttle.

If you just want to fly RC, the SkySurfer should suit you fine. It (and it's brothers) are very popular with beginner and intermediate flyers.