Good training helicopter suggestions - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 30, 2017, 03:30 AM
D'oro Leone
Discussion

Good training helicopter suggestions

Howdy heli-fliers, I was wondering what would a good first helicopter to train someone based you guys' experience.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2017, 06:43 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Indoors, outdoors, budget, previous RC experience?

It's hard to make a 'one size fits all' recommendation so the more info you can give the better the advice is likely to be.
Sep 30, 2017, 04:50 PM
D'oro Leone
My apologies, I'm looking for an electric helecoptor that is easy to fly outside. Never flown a helicopter. Been mostly a warbird flyer, wanting to expand my experience.
Sep 30, 2017, 04:56 PM
Heligamist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter135
My apologies, I'm looking for an electric helecoptor that is easy to fly outside. Never flown a helicopter. Been mostly a warbird flyer, wanting to expand my experience.
You can't go wrong starting with a Blade 230S as a first heli. After that you can go bigger and into kit helis.
Sep 30, 2017, 05:03 PM
I vote xk k110! It's a micro, small and cheap and yet very stable in wind! Slightly under powered so it won't hurt too bad when you hit yourself with it
But that really hurt ones pride
The fc in it is unbelievable well programmed and won't disappoint you
And if you decide heli's aren't your thing, you'll have gotten away cheap with a k110!
Sep 30, 2017, 06:44 PM
I believe in small increments in piloting difficulty (you are just starting) and lots of stick time to gain proficiency.

You can fly a micro indoors as many times as you want, in good or poor weather, and they are very resilient when crashing.

My vote goes for a fixed pitch micro like the Blade mSR s

http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/D...ProdID=BLH2900

Just my 0.000000001 euros
Sep 30, 2017, 11:53 PM
My recommendation to go on xk-k110
It has both beginners and advanced mode
And it is very resistant to cracks.
And his transmitter is very nice
Oct 01, 2017, 12:59 AM
I'm going to third the XK K110 suggestion, I learned on it and still fly it every day I can at the park. It's great for simple aerobatics and can handle most 3D as well. It crashes well too and the parts are cheap.

Another suggestion - sim sim and more sim time.
Oct 01, 2017, 04:17 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Personally I'm no fan of micro size helis, I find them tricky to fly and they are badly effected by wind, being small they are difficult to see and easy to loose orientation.

If you are a competent fixed wing flyer and used to using rudder in flight to do coordinated turns with your planes (as opposed to 'bank and yank' with ailerons) then that's a big help with a heli. Use of rudder is critical on a heli and that's what many fixed wing flyers struggle most with. Fixed wing was my background. I started with a Trex 450 and didn't really have any problems. If you already have a decent 6+ channel Tx from your planes then that could be used for the heli too which helps keep the cost down, same with your charger etc.

Modern Flybarless controllers with 'self levelling' stabilisation are also a game changer when it comes to learning, so if you have the budget I'd recommend one (Brain2/iKon2, Spirit or Spirit Pro etc).

A lot depends on budget, I'm sure the XK K110 is a great recommendation too, if micros are your thing.
Oct 01, 2017, 05:02 AM
Rotor Controller
Everyone has a learning curve and the younger we are the faster our responses and vice-versa when we are older. Helicopters move faster than we can react and just like learning to walk it's best to take small steps at a time. Learning to fly a helicopter is not just cognitive as our fingers have to know which way to go when we moving those sticks without our thinking about it - aka muscle memory. This takes hours and hours of practice and more practice and the ideal conditions for learning is zero wind in a wide open space. Part of learning is crashing and so you want something that is designed to survive and like that saying goes the bigger they are the harder they fall. As technology changes so does the market and in the last few years the market for beginner's helicopters has dropped down to almost none and manufactures switched from making helicopters to quads and for good reason. They are cheap - they are stable - they are nearly indestructible and this gives you an ideal platform to learn how to fly. In this hobby we all start with the greatest of enthusiasm but as time goes goes we begin to realize flying helicopters is much more difficult than it looks and most if not all find another hobby after a few weeks. So best advise is to minimize your investment and decide for yourself what fits best for your budget and your interest. From the practical side you want to buy something that won't fall apart and for quality and customer support HorizonHobby has earned a well earned reputation. Whatever you chose have fun and fly safely and my message box is always open if you have any questions.

captJac
Oct 01, 2017, 07:19 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
V911 on calm days or indoor for unbeatable crash resistance, slow main rotor that doesn't disintegrate on crash, no programming, ready to fly, simplicity of repair, low cost, cheap parts, proven design, longevity, cheap way to test your interest.

p.s. I know there is better flying heli out there....
Oct 01, 2017, 08:15 AM
Bigger is definitely better however it also depends on your budget. My first 450 I was terrified to fly in case I crashed.

These days it's hard to go past the XK K110. Flys well. Cheap parts. Crashes well.
Oct 02, 2017, 10:50 AM
Lord of the Strings
I'll second the Blade 230s.. Not to small, easy to fly in stability mode.
Oct 02, 2017, 03:41 PM
Destroyer of Threads
Another vote for the 230s

Full brushless, big enough to see outside when it's more than 30 feet away, and not too expensive to crash.

The direct drive tail lets beginners bypass the potential frustration of rebuilding shaft and belt drive tails.

It can hover almost like a drone when in self leveling mode, and then go all the way to full blown 3D with the flick of a switch.

A good choice for all skill levels.
Last edited by Steve_; Oct 02, 2017 at 03:46 PM.