So, if they made one who would buy it? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 29, 2017, 08:35 PM
1977 kawasaki kd100-m
Question

So, if they made one who would buy it?

If Cox international started producing new crankcases for reedies and TDs to convert standard engines into 2 cylinder V twin engines would you buy one of them?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2017, 08:48 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
$50 + shipping
Sep 29, 2017, 09:31 PM
I probably would not. This has already been tried, I dont think there would be a market large enough to be profitable.
Sep 29, 2017, 11:18 PM
In the "V" configuration I probably would not, but in a horizontal opposed configuration I probably would if it wasn't priced too high.....like under 35.00 dollars or so.

Mike
Sep 30, 2017, 07:13 AM
The difficulty is not in the cases, It is in making the cranks for dual throw at the same time or dividing and sealing the two case chambers and two reed system in order to fire alternating. two needles , etc, just not viable in this size. I suggest you make an engine first, as several of us have. It is a lot of fun and you learn a lot. Keeping it simple is hard enough.
Last edited by toad007; Sep 30, 2017 at 07:22 AM. Reason: added comment
Sep 30, 2017, 08:36 AM
Dieselized User
http://www.ebay.com/itm/292107321002

Build it and they will come?
Sep 30, 2017, 09:31 AM
Rough Landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/292107321002

Build it and they will come?
That is a cool engine, but in my opinion it is a overpriced novelty with a small market. A used OS 10 FP or LA will do more for less money. None the less, some collector will buy one.

I question the power to weight ratio on that design.
Sep 30, 2017, 10:03 AM
Now I have to land that thing?
Wouldn't opposed cylinder config show less vibration?
Is it easier porting-wise to do V than opposed?
Sep 30, 2017, 11:34 AM
The pictured V-engine seems to have a common crankcase? So that is wasting a lot of power ,running with 45 timing separation....

A boxer with simultaneous firing would work, and that has also been done it the past. Even then the power to weigh ratio makes them unpractical. As an example take a look at the G-Mark twin .12cc.
Sep 30, 2017, 12:41 PM
Does seem as a ..lot... of metal, let alone a lot of work for a 2 stroke Hardly Davidson motor imitation /configuration.
Someone had Too much time on their hands.. seems as the only credible guess.
Sep 30, 2017, 01:20 PM
Rough Landing
It might be impractical, but you have love that innovative spirit. I have made several things through life that were neat and innovative, but also impractical. Sometimes we make things just because we can. Gotta love it!
Sep 30, 2017, 01:44 PM
Dieselized User
There are countless Cox based twins out there. I have my own designs, just have to actually build them. The market is certainly collectors or enthusiasts.

The crank is the hard part. Also, if you aren't prepared to do a significant amount of machining the crankcase can be bulky.
Sep 30, 2017, 01:49 PM
1977 kawasaki kd100-m
the plan originally was to make a v twin but I think a horizontal boxer would be a lot more practical in the sense of it being more scale on a cub to have the 2 cylinders poking out the sides and less vibration but then theres a problem with crank case pressure. because its always the same pressure inside the crankcase so it would have to run a muffler with pressure fittings. the design I'm going for would be a normal crankcase with an added cylinder at 180 degrees and set a little further forward with, a crankpin twice as long as original so it could fit a 2nd conrod.
Sep 30, 2017, 01:59 PM
Dieselized User
Common crank pin opposed twin two stroke has no crankcase scavenging. There aren't any in this configuration because it won't run without an additional pump.

Boxer indicates two crank throws. This is the normal configuration for opposed twin two strokes. With one piece connecting rods this presents other challenges.
Sep 30, 2017, 04:28 PM
The one on Ebaie doesn't look too outrageous for the price, but notice, it is not guaranteed to run. Sort of reminds me of an old magazine plane that used a Fox .35 with a necked down venturi, and plugged up exhaust to run slow enough for the plane. There was no throttle. He brazed another dummy cylinder on to the crankcase with no sleeve or piston. It really looked kind of cool.