Thermal Ca aerotow coming - RC Groups
Sep 29, 2017, 04:45 PM
Discussion

Thermal Ca aerotow coming

December 2nd and February 3rd, save the dates, this is at the other CVRC club, www.cvrcclub.com Check club website for directions ad updates. It's always a bit weather dependent but it's usually perfect at this time of year. High 70's, low 80's with no wind and extremely clear skies with no restrictions. And yes, there are massive thermals here so bring a lounge chair for some long flights.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2017, 06:26 PM
Team JR Air
Looking forward to it. Always like flying at that field.

Tom
Sep 30, 2017, 02:21 AM
ill be there!
Oct 08, 2017, 04:25 PM
Great to get some early interest.

We usually have severe clear skies and strong thermals. One of our guys was flying to day with smoke on his jet. You could see the lift bumps in the smoke trail, and he was low.

Hope to see everyone here, Remember that it is a Toy's for Tot's aero tow. Please bring a unwrapped toy or $15 bucks in cash.
Hot Dogs etc. available too.

Dan Metz
Cvrc Club President
Oct 08, 2017, 11:15 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
I'll be trying to make this one again. Had fun last year!

Mike
Oct 09, 2017, 10:05 PM
on the calendar.....had a really nice time last weekend at Palomar - nice to see the local activity. be nice to see something at Riverside.....

thanks for hosting at such a great site Dan!
Oct 09, 2017, 10:14 PM
Riverside is dead as far as aerotow Paul. I joined the club this year and we did a midweek tow, there was SO much full size traffic that we all agreed never again. It was a waste of $150 for me to join the club.
Oct 09, 2017, 10:41 PM
sorry to hear that dennis, I was hoping we could do something over there. oh well. looking forward to seeing you at Coachella.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:49 AM
It didn't help that some of the clueless club members there start freaking out while we were getting to what I consider a bare minimum altitude for thermal activity, while they fly their models at just above barely controlled crash mode. Why am I not surprised.
Oct 12, 2017, 12:22 AM

Dennis you may have seen this

Dennis you may have seen this. The history of soaring in So Cal.
Hobie Alter was at our aero tows in the past before he passed.
Enjoy everyone.
Dan

History of Soaring in Southern California (58 min 31 sec)
Oct 14, 2017, 07:22 PM
Bad command or file name
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
It didn't help that some of the clueless club members there start freaking out while we were getting to what I consider a bare minimum altitude for thermal activity, while they fly their models at just above barely controlled crash mode. Why am I not surprised.
Sorry to hear you had problems Dennis. I agree that the full size aircraft can be freaky at Riverside, although my understanding is that the big ones are at 2000 ft. at least when they pass over the field.

We too have had issues with non soaring members not understanding what we do and the rules we fly under. I am hoping as more of us go out there they will begin to see what we are all about.

Tom
Oct 16, 2017, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
December 2nd and February 3rd, save the dates, this is at the other CVRC club, www.cvrcclub.com Check club website for directions ad updates. It's always a bit weather dependent but it's usually perfect at this time of year. High 70's, low 80's with no wind and extremely clear skies with no restrictions. And yes, there are massive thermals here so bring a lounge chair for some long flights.
Cool! I am hoping to be up there Dec 2nd, but I don't need a tug
Oct 16, 2017, 11:52 PM
although far from ideal, I have towed at Hemet (the paved runway, not Davis) just to make sure everything was okay with the tow plane and the glider. Can't go up too high or linger too long, but it's there in case someone just wants a quick shakedown flight(s).
Oct 17, 2017, 10:08 PM
The Bidule 170 is looking forward to towing off pavement again.

Scott
Oct 18, 2017, 07:23 PM
In a little camper
Sorry I can't make it, But would someone please post some pictures of this event so that we can reminisce about our time there?
Many thanks in advance.

Bill
who is watching it rain again in Melbourne FL. Does it ever stop???