First XC Ship - RC Groups
Sep 29, 2017, 02:19 PM
Discussion

First XC Ship

Iíve got a few 4m Explorers but space is maxed out for additional equipment/GPS etc etc
Are we allowed to self launch for x-country or only winch/bungee?
I know thereís a 5kg weight limit, but have you guys found and optimal wing span/loading yet.
Thanks
Canít wait to try this x-country flying. I fly a full size Ventus B, so this outta be similar.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2017, 11:22 PM
A 4 m Xplorer makes a great XC glider. For XC its best to load it up as close to 5kg as you can. In order to fit a vario and gps you will most likely need to re-arrange the battery configuration. I found using 18650 Li-ion cells in a stick configuration located in the ballast compartment (in the fuse, aft of the servos, under the wing) works well. This will free up space in the nose for the vario and gps.

I did a thread on how I modified my 4 m Xplorer for XC. Take a look here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Xplorer-XC-%21

I don't think it is essential to lengthen the fuse like I did, especially if you have one of the newer fuse's that were made longer.

As far as self launching, I think at most contests nobody will care if you self launch as long as you promise not use your motor after you cross the start line.

I hope you can make out to the next XC event or Montague for sure. We have a number of XC pilots that also fly fullsize.

John
Last edited by XC soaringpilot; Sep 29, 2017 at 11:27 PM.
Sep 30, 2017, 08:15 PM
Ive got a 4m Xplorer with an F3J wing butotor. So I could self launch and just use my Altis cam to verify whether I started motor or not.
It weighs about 69oz right now, so I'm close.

Looking through the threads, what's an good GPS/logger to buy?
Sep 30, 2017, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmraapilot

Looking through the threads, what's an good GPS/logger to buy?
Small stand alone gps loggers are getting hard to find. We have used the 860E or 860lite with good success. Its a tight squeeze in the Xplorer but it will fit. Amazon has it here:https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

If you do not already have a vario, a very good option would be to use the RC Electronics system. It has a built in gps, logger, vario and altimeter. Expensive, but really the best system for XC.

John
Oct 01, 2017, 07:10 PM
Can you provide a link to that RC system. I canít find it.

Thx
Oct 01, 2017, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmraapilot
Can you provide a link to that RC system. I canít find it.

Thx
http://www.rc-electronics.org/

Rick Shelby is the USA dealer. You would need the RC T3000, RC Multi 2, RC Bus, RC GPS, RC TRX30 and RC Tek for compensated vario.
Oct 01, 2017, 10:25 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
The Altis is a Vario, so that portion is solved as long as you have the telemetry interface configured.

Altis also sells a GPS logger that uses the same set of peripherals as the Altis V4+