3D profile addict - RC Groups
Sep 29, 2017, 10:58 AM
Discussion

3D profile addict

Been enjoying the fall weather and getting my fleet to the field as much as possible. I have a bunch of little profiles and one full fuse Banshee from Aerobeez.

The Banshee flys great but sometimes I try to do some slow and low things that my little profiles love. The Banshee don't like that and the result is having to repair the CF gear several times. I know it flys like a "balsa" plane but my mind is programed for foamies (low and slow). So when a new airplane comes out that states that it flys like a stick built I would like to see a stick built say that it flys like a foamie.

Profiles are not an attention getter in my experience. The attention goes to the full fuse jobbies, especially scale ones and even more so, warbirds. To me the reward is personal. Being able to do aerobatics low and slow. The bottom line is having fun. To me that is flying my little foamies zero mistakes high.

RonJ
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2017, 08:30 PM
Same here Ron. I've really been enjoying the fall weather, getting out sometimes 3 times a week for the last several weeks.

I fly both gas powered 3D planes (scale and profile), and the larger elec. profile foamies.

Enjoy both, but there is definitely a difference in the altitude I fly them. They both have their strong points, and I really enjoy flying both.

Elec. encourages trying new stuff, and lower and slower flight. Gas requires way more discipline and I feel they're a test of your true skill levels. When you have a gasser down low, you had better know and trust your plane, it's setup, and what you are doing. For those reasons, when you pull something off with a gasser, there's more personal satisfaction. Not that I don't also enjoy pulling off absolute craziness with an elec. profile down on deck 20' out in front of me!

Yes, fun! -Al
Sep 30, 2017, 07:50 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
Banshee from Aerobeez.
The Banshee flys great but sometimes I try to do some slow and low things that my little profiles love. The Banshee don't like that and the result is having to repair the CF gear several times. I know it flys like a "balsa" plane but my mind is programed for foamies (low and slow). So when a new airplane comes out that states that it flys like a stick built I would like to see a stick built say that it flys like a foamie.

To me the reward is personal. Being able to do aerobatics low and slow. The bottom line is having fun. To me that is flying my little foamies zero mistakes high.

RonJ

+1 well said.

I succeeded to make my 3D balsa/monokote plane fly almost like 3D foamies with the help of a cheap basic A3L gyro and a pot. programming. I turn the pot. to high level for slow and low and turn it lower for speed and XA to avoid shaking surfaces.

My EPP 55" Edge 540 fly so much like a profile foamie that I don't need a gyro for slow and low. Pucker factor is the only thing that restrict me.
Last edited by fauconnier; Sep 30, 2017 at 09:51 AM.
Sep 30, 2017, 11:06 AM
Nothing flies likes a 3D profile foamy. I still scratch build the majority of my foamies mostly because I like to tinker and try different set ups, layouts, etc. Here's a depron profile I've been flying all summer and enjoying flying a lot at the school yard a block down the street.

Depron McFoamy XL (4 min 42 sec)
Oct 02, 2017, 02:28 AM
ChrisG does 3D!
That McFoamy flies awesome!
Oct 02, 2017, 09:34 AM
Good one r/cdawg,

Your video got me to thinking, I have a box of depron like foam. Much stiffer and lighter than EPP so a cf wing spar would be all I needed. I know that EPP bounces better but I am finally at the stage that I seldom experience "ground surges". Hmmmmm, winter building season coming, may have to crank out a few 3D profiles.

RonJ
Oct 02, 2017, 09:47 AM
I agree....just step out my backdoor...............
06 2215 Yak 39"55 Easy Flying (4 min 3 sec)
Oct 02, 2017, 02:40 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
The only thing better is when you design and build from scratch.

How about a 3D GeeBee?

Oct 02, 2017, 02:53 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Another thread that needs self design posts!
Here's one I hope to get laser cut soon:
Oct 02, 2017, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
Good one r/cdawg,

Your video got me to thinking, I have a box of depron like foam. Much stiffer and lighter than EPP so a cf wing spar would be all I needed. I know that EPP bounces better but I am finally at the stage that I seldom experience "ground surges". Hmmmmm, winter building season coming, may have to crank out a few 3D profiles.

RonJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvehicleGuy
That McFoamy flies awesome!
Thanks guys. I've been having a lot of fun flying it.

Definitely start scratch building Ron, you'll be amazed how much pride and satisfaction you get "rolling your own".

One of the building techniques I have been using with depron profiles is to use 45 degree stiffeners between the vertical and horizontal fuselage pieces. Easier the carbon trussing and doesn't add much weight but transforms the flight characteristics. It's obviously not a new idea but one that is very effective.
Oct 02, 2017, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvehicleGuy
Another thread that needs self design posts!
Here's one I hope to get laser cut soon:
Looking good RCvG! Be sure to post build pics.
Oct 02, 2017, 06:01 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg
Thanks guys. I've been having a lot of fun flying it.

Definitely start scratch building Ron, you'll be amazed how much pride and satisfaction you get "rolling your own".

One of the building techniques I have been using with depron profiles is to use 45 degree stiffeners between the vertical and horizontal fuselage pieces. Easier the carbon trussing and doesn't add much weight but transforms the flight characteristics. It's obviously not a new idea but one that is very effective.
Speaking of transforming flight characteristics, cut a slot for you battery. It'll blow you mind. Much better during pushes and pulls.
I've always been a carbon truss guy, definitely not as durable as the foam webbing, but lighter and stiffer.
Oct 02, 2017, 07:10 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I have used carpet thread on several in place of the CF trusses. Works fine and light.

I use a large needle and when I get it all where I want it, I put a drop of Foam safe CA on each
spot where the thread passes through the foam.
Oct 02, 2017, 07:42 PM
ChrisG does 3D!
Interesting, I haven't seen that before.
Oct 03, 2017, 08:37 AM
Looks like there are many ways to get to an end result. The biggest thing is to have fun designing and building them yourself.

Float planes are fun to design and build also. The SeaFoamy is also of depron and has a hybrid fuselage design. The bottom half is a standard box fuselage but the turtle deck and canopy area are profile. Same power system as the McFoamy above. The video below is from an early prototype.

Depron Floatplane Prototype 1 (3 min 53 sec)