This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 20, 2009, 02:46 AM
Our F1H fleet .
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2009, 09:58 AM

2009 F1D Euro Champs

Footage from the 2009 Euro Champs, held at Belgrade Fair, Hall 1 in Belgrade Serbia - site of the 2008 World Champs and also the future 2010 World Champs.

European F1D Competition 2009 (7 min 53 sec)
Sep 21, 2009, 01:12 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Hi chaps,
One of the local chaps up the field brought this up yesterday and flew it..I think it was called Jaguar and is an old Wakefield design. I have video footage of it flying if your interested?

Regards Rich
Sep 21, 2009, 01:26 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Interesting model. Flying video would be cool..

So Wakefield experts please tell me what that big 'keel thing' was for under the wing.. I assume it was there to work-around some rule? Minimum fuselage volume or depth perhaps? .. i cant see that it serves any functional purpose.

Steve
Sep 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
"Jaguar" it is. Designed by Ted Evans, flown to Wakefield victory by Roy Chesterton.

The udder was for cross-sectional purposes. they fly well but can be tricky to trim
Sep 21, 2009, 03:31 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Here you go gents, this was one of the trimming flights..DT timer is set to about a minute

Hope you enjoy the video

Regards Rich

Rubber powered Wakefiled model 'JAGUAR' (1 min 31 sec)
Sep 21, 2009, 04:02 PM
That was a great vid. Thanks
Sep 22, 2009, 02:12 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Build it udderless (the corpulent bulge was only there to satisfy a now defunct cross-sectional area rule). The design is a paradigm of the "You Carnt Do That There Ere" mentality. Course, then it wouldn't be a Jaguar
Modeling is littered with "travesties" which caused furore among the jobsworths (teamrace pilots, Goodyear silencers, BOM, thermal sniffers, etc) - I'm amazed that Balsa Wood ever got past the SMAE.

Gorgeous video! If there were any trimming snags you've certainly sorted them Rich.
Sep 22, 2009, 12:50 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Yes, fantastic flight!

Chas; Iím with you.
I'd build it 'udderless' too. I donít see that as 'sacrilege'.. I'm 100% sure that the original designer would, if he was building it today unencumbered by 'daft' rules, also skip the 'udder'.

Udder or no. itís a terrific model.

Steve
Sep 22, 2009, 02:21 PM
Culper Junior
Nice video, SafeLandings. Thanks. Gonna save that one to watch some deep dark snowy winter day.
Sep 22, 2009, 03:06 PM
I MUST build a wakefield model one day! very well built indeed, a real beauty
Sep 22, 2009, 05:11 PM
For all the people who refer to past Aeromodeller magazines from time to time for many of these models, there's a new resource which you will like!

In the latest edition of the British Model Flying Association News ( October 2009 - arrived yesterday) a reference is made about an index of all Aeromodeller contents from 1935 onwards up to 2001.

A resourceful (pun intended) chap by the name of Colin Usher started to gather info on these mags and enlisted the help of others to complete 2 years each. It's now available as a download from www.colinusher.info/Indexes/aeromodeller.xls

It's a plain .xls file ( download a free reader from Microsoft if you haven't got a program to open it).

From the 'Find' command, just type in the word(s) you want to look for - eg. Jaguar - and it appears. Then look up the appropriate magazine from your copies. I thought I knew my way around them quite well, but this quickens things considerably. (the Jaguar plan is in the October 1948 edition, with other references available too....).
Sep 24, 2009, 08:31 AM
I have a pdf full size set of plans of the Jaguar on my web site at http://www.windandwavemodels.com/Jaguar.pdf
They were scanned from the 1948 Aeromodeller Annual, but had a bit of a distortion on the centre fold of the page which I touched up in AutoCad.
John
Sep 24, 2009, 11:34 PM
Thermals, Tom
http://www.thebuildingboard.com/
Sep 26, 2009, 12:03 AM
Very nice.