This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 24, 2007, 02:32 AM
www.scotiarc.co.uk - OMP Helis
Here's my first rubber power model in ages.. It's a Tailless Terror by T. Butcher, or at least the fuselage is, the wing I've re-designed to use an airfoil intended for tailless aircraft rather than the flat bottom used on the original design.

Test flights will be conducted if it ever stops raining

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2007, 02:45 AM
Wow JPF. What a Super looking FF plane.

That should be all Black----with SR-72 on it in small letters.

Trouble is you wouldn't be able to see it properly against a dark background.

I had to add yellow control surfaces to my SR-71 for the same reason.

Cheers. Paddy.
Last edited by oldpilot; Jun 24, 2007 at 02:52 AM.
Jun 29, 2007, 11:46 AM

Back to Front

Nice model Jet lane Flyer!

I built a canard called "Back to Front" published in Aeromodeler years ago. It was a good flyer but I don't remember the details of the flights. I think it had a fast glide. I must build another one someday.

I'm waiting for flying reports of your rear wing model.

I've already built a few models from the DVD you sent me. Wow, what a selection of plans!

Tom
Jul 03, 2007, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildawyvern
I'm waiting for flying reports of your rear wing model.
Tom,
The weather here has been a little 'damp' lately (putting it very mildly) so trimming opportunities have been limited, however i have managed to get out a couple of times. Like most tailless designs the model is sensitive in pitch, small adjustment to CG makes a big difference to trim, it's equally sensitive to downthrust. It flies in a sedate fashion on a single loop of 1/8" rubber but is much more exciting on a loop of 3/16".
When everything is set right and using the thicker rubber it climbs in a steep left-hand spiral, flattening out to a gentle left cruise. Consistency has been difficult because pitch stability is largely down to wing twist (washout) and in the damp conditions the tissue gets soggy and the twist comes out, meaning the trim changes completely, very frustrating!
It's trimmed to turn left i.e. the direction that the torque drives it. I know that many rubber power experts claim that using side thrust to overcome the torque reaction and produce a right turn is the way to go... It would take a great deal of thrust offset to achieve this so for the moment I'm just letting it go the way it wants. I have added about 3Deg of right thrust to prevent the model screwing in when the winds are cranked up, I'm guessing it would take 6 or 7 Deg to actually produce a right turn... is it worth it?

I've also carved a balsa prop for the model (first in 30 years!)... here it is:

Steve
Jul 03, 2007, 02:03 AM
Och Ay th' Noo STEVE.

What is the span of that plane? It's hard to tell. The prop size gives no clues, it could 6" or 12"

Judging by the spacing between the wing ribs I'm guessing it is about 32" span. Would you mind filling in the specs.

Cheers. Paddy.
Jul 03, 2007, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot
Och Ay th' Noo STEVE.

What is the span of that plane? It's hard to tell. The prop size gives no clues, it could 6" or 12"

Judging by the spacing between the wing ribs I'm guessing it is about 32" span. Would you mind filling in the specs.

Cheers. Paddy.
It's only 16" span Paddy (ribs are quite closely spaced), the fus is about 17.5" long and the prop is 7". I've got the plan scanned should anyone want a copy.

Steve
Jul 03, 2007, 07:26 AM
WOW Steve.

It looks bigger.

Cheers. Paddy.
Jul 06, 2007, 12:46 AM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
well it has been a long while since i have built a plane(into the whole rc car thing lol). i got in this craze a while back and built alot of planes with about 10'' wingspans...only has real sucess with 1 of them....some kind of monocupe-ish plane. well i just recantly decided to build another one...my own design drawn on paper then built. it is coverd in silver tissue paper from hobby lobby. i will see how it flies tomarrow. also does anyone know where to find plans for oplanes this size? i remember i got a bunch of plans a while ago, i think they where made by comet?....Dime scale! that is the scale i was thinking of! ha-ha!...but if anybody nows where these plans are just let me know...thanks.
Jul 06, 2007, 04:33 AM
flight999
Sorry! Can't kelp with the plans,
but you seem to be doing pretty
well on your own.

If it looks right, it will probably
fly right. Good luck!
Jul 06, 2007, 07:31 AM

CO2 Models

Been getting into co2 lately and here are the results.

The "Pink Panter" powered by G-MOT120. Plenty of power for this plane. Max flight was 4 min 18 sec.

Peck-Polymers "Prarie Bird" with the nose chopped off, powered by a Brown A-23. Flies slow and steady for over 3mins.

The "Moskito" Powered by Telco. Not a great flyer with Telco engine.

Orange plane is just a test bed for the Gasparin G-6. Flies gracefully for 3 mins plus in the right conditions.
Last edited by microkiwi; Jul 06, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
Jul 15, 2007, 08:32 PM
Culper Junior
Here's a few pics of my new Guillow Arrow. I know there is no pilot or windshield but when I test flew it it flew sooooooo good I didn't want to add anything that might change the flight characteristics. So that is the finished form. With the kit rubber and 200 turns it made one large powered circle up to about 40 feet and one large glide circle. So the next step is stretch winding and a really high flight. Gotta put name and address on it first.

Jul 16, 2007, 02:33 AM
flight999
Looks sweet! Cockpit window
shouldn't make a difference.

Good luck............ and mind
those trees.
Jul 16, 2007, 05:47 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Aeronca52,

Great Arrow. I've built two of these, both were a lot of fun. It's a good design, especially for a modern Guillow's product. By the way, if you're using Guillow's old gray rubber, switching to FAI Tan will make an enormous difference...though it looks from the pics like you're using Tan rubber. Whatever the case, make sure you've got plenty of room. I know of a guy who gets dead air flights of better than 2 minutes with his Arrow.
Jul 17, 2007, 01:51 AM
Culper Junior
jwfinn, you're right- it's the tan stuff that came with the kit, enough for two loops. Don't know if guillows uses Tan II or a look alike but whatever it flies good. BTW the tissue was attached with a glue stick, then water shrunk, then sprayed with clear krylon(outside). Neat & odorless, meanwhile the nitrate sits in the corner gathering dust. About 5 or 10 years ago I remember a picture in one of the model mags of someone who doubled the size and had made it r/c. Now to pack in the winds.....................
Aug 14, 2007, 03:17 AM
There are at least three free flight planes in this picture. Starting top left,
a plastic me 109 covers a free flight helicopter, next a twin engine blade runner conversion built with foam, ion lifting device runs on 25,000 volts supplied from an old computer monitor, yes, it really works. Hirobro Lama helicopter, love to fly it in the house. Below the plastic 109 , a blue core 109
with kp00 motor for rffs 1000 and actuators, not yet finished. Two ton Bean Box, flys like a 747. Jean Dubois finch 2, I thined the wing from plans and love this plane, it flys fantastic. Estes F15. Bottom center, blue core Cessna 170 with rc gear, Guillows plan used as guide. Nice harbor frieght electric free flight bipe, 14 dollars! and under the F15 another inteloper, a foamy bipe made for plantraco rc.

Quick Reply