This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 20, 2006, 11:34 AM
flight999
Been there, done that, worn the hat
read the book, seen the video AND
still didn't do any good!!!

Mange-33989 put us out of our misery
Where are you?
What is your prop size?
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2006, 05:02 AM
No, 'e aint sayin.
May 21, 2006, 11:13 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight999
What is your prop size?
Kinda personal tho, ain't it?

C
May 21, 2006, 04:39 PM
flight999
I didn't ask that one, just
repeated it on your behalf.

It's all in the mind!!
May 23, 2006, 03:43 PM

Deicel Engines, anybody recognise these?

who can tell ma about these?
May 23, 2006, 06:26 PM
What do you wish to know?
May 24, 2006, 02:14 AM
flight999
The first and second images look like
the Mills Mk.1 or replicas (There isn't
a cutout arm above the tank).
May 24, 2006, 02:36 AM
Way back on about page two of this thread Tony Brooks' Y-Bar got a mention, well here is my rendition of it for nostalgia power. Has a PAW 149 up front but I'm having trouble getting a nice clean engine cut, tends to burble for 3 or 4 seconds.
May 24, 2006, 02:48 AM
Those of you who also lurk on Small Flying Arts have probably seen this but for you others here is the latest off my bench. It "Sierra Sue" a Goodyear Racer. Plan is out of an old Aeromodeller (Date?) by Vic Dubery and construction os all sheet. It's just awaiting the arrival of some rubber (and fine weather!) so that trim flights can begin.
May 24, 2006, 03:58 AM

Y-Bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Way back on about page two of this thread Tony Brooks' Y-Bar got a mention, well here is my rendition of it for nostalgia power. Has a PAW 149 up front but I'm having trouble getting a nice clean engine cut, tends to burble for 3 or 4 seconds.
Like your Y-Bay.
ls it trimmed? Should be 'fast' with a PAW 1.5 up front.

How are you cutting off the fuel?
Cutoff point on tube needs to be as close as possible to the carb, and also if it's not trimmed and you are still running the engine rich, then it will run on too.

Diesels never cut off clean though, there will always be a bit of a burble.

What engine run do you guys use for Nos?
May 24, 2006, 04:31 AM
Y Bar qualifies for both Kiwi power (same as SLOP) and Nos Power. Engine runs are 10 secs for kiwi and for Nos it's 10 secs Glow and 12 secs diesel.
I initially tried calibrated fuel tube length, not good.
No it's not yet properly trimmed so is running rich.
May 24, 2006, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight999
Nice model.
What's the rubber band for?
There are three rubberbands that can be seen in the picture.

The 30g one for turning the prop (obvious).
There is one small rubberband pulling the wings together and finaly there is one rubberband "holding" the stabilizer.

Accurly there is a fourth rubberband to organise the rubber motor.
/M
May 24, 2006, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Rubber band? Do you mean the 30g one?

Looks like the 'rubber band' is doing the job too, very impressive.

Where are you? On an old airport maybe?
I am in Uppsala, Sweden at an airforcebase where we used to compete twice a year.
May 24, 2006, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
And what's the diameter of that prop??!!! Is it from the bicycles??

C
It is a pretty standard 600 mm (~24") prop. I am one of the few that still build most of my model in F1B including the prop. The prop in this case is made of carbofibre and rohacell.
May 24, 2006, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Open power climb and better, more than likely.

Modern F1Bs (Wakefields) go very well with only 30g of rubber and all the tricky bits--DPR, AR, VIT, etc. etc.

So where are you?
Have been out of internet reach for a while now Im back. I must say the "modern" wakefields with dpr etc accurly is much more easy to tame than an oldtimer with 80+ grams of rubber and no moving parts.
Now to perfect the trim of any model is virtually impossible as Im sure you all know.

Quick Reply