This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 03, 2012, 10:33 PM
Slow 'n Steady...Grease 'r In
Hello, everyone:

I hope I'm not butting in too much here, but I was just wondering if anyone has been working on any CO2 designs lately.

Thanks,
Kyle
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
This is my latest, a messed up Westland Whirlwind from Easy built Models. I changed the wing dihedral break and added dihedral. I shortened the fuselage by one bay. I enlarged the stab and lengthened the nacelles. The elevators are operational. The props are heavy Guillow's kit props for the needed nose ballast. The dope is Deft semi-gloss over Easy Lite tissue. The graphics are Tissuecals.

Kev
Aug 08, 2012, 08:51 PM
Culper Junior
Looks neat. Did you try flying it yet?
Aug 08, 2012, 10:00 PM
No, not yet. It isn't very heavy and it balances just about right without any added weight. I'm going to try it out with just a single loop of 3/16" for each prop to start. It's been so darn hot here. This one was a real bear to build. To hold the props in place after winding I've attached an aluminum tube underneath each nacelle to hold a wire which will stick out beyond each prop. I'll tie a string to the wires and then pull them both away at once.

Kev
Last edited by kevin matthews; Aug 08, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Aug 09, 2012, 12:35 PM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
That's a great looking plane Kev.

You need to post more pictures man I'm trying to learn how to build like that!
Aug 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
I had to pick this up today, mostly out of curiosity. It's 20" and extremely heavy. The rubber is 4 loops of 1/8" supplied with the kit. The instructions call for 200 winds which gives the motor run about 5 seconds of unwinding. Both props turn with a complicated system which is what is weighing so much. The props lock while a ratchet type winder at the nose is turned by a removable handle. Then the lever unlocking the props is switched and the props unwind.

Kev
Aug 09, 2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks draganbt. Next time I'll post a build log. I'm pretty good at problem solving in building airplanes. Sometimes the kit plan leaves out information which needs to be thought through and problems solved. I have a lot of experience and that helps. I'm not happy with the Deft brand lacquer for dope. The blue tissue underneath has a lot of blushing and finger nail polish remover doesn't work to remove that like it does with Sig brand dope. I think I've said this before but use the dope made for model airplanes.

Kev
Aug 09, 2012, 08:17 PM
Culper Junior
Kevin,
You need to build a twin pusher for the 'twin' experience.
http://www.antiquemodeler.org/sam_ne...l_wightman.htm

I have seen some people launch twins by holding a large piece of soft foam (chair cushion) up against the bottom of the model to still the props. Just pull the foam away and launch.

Course you still have to hold one prop still while winding the other.
Aug 17, 2012, 04:49 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Kev

What I've been doing is holding the left prop tip in my mouth and the right prop with my left hand. As long as you don't get too hungry and bite off a blade, this actually works quite well- it's comparable to a single prop launch.

Sam
Aug 17, 2012, 06:33 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
I hold the smaller props in my mouth while I wind the motor, then when the motor breaks, I get snapped in the bottom of the nose...arrgghhhh
Sep 03, 2012, 01:07 AM
Am I a Registered user?
My planes arent verry good compared to all those nice planes, I have a Sterling Diamant sailplane, Sterling Stuka N.I.B. in the plastic, Sterling F-4-U1 N.I.B. , plastic wraped, Easy Build Models Ritz, Guillows Mosquito, Heavy Guillows Fock wulf, And many, Many more. The complete ones fly like rocks, any tips on flying?
Last edited by Eratix 3D; Sep 03, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Sep 03, 2012, 08:56 AM
Culper Junior
Eratix,
The kits you are referring to mostly had heavier than needed balsa. Try the Ritz or this http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ff12lc.htm
Most of the EB kits now have very nice light balsa and the designs fly well. The best way is to keep at it, building, covering and flying. Practice, practice, practice. We all started somewhere.
Sep 09, 2012, 05:54 AM
Latest two from my board. A peanut T-Tail RIVETS fro a plan by Mark Drela, and a FROG Senior Series "Heron".

The RIVETS has been test glided, but the Heron has suffered the "cluttered backyard syndrom", and has to wait till I get to the flying patch.
Sep 10, 2012, 01:19 AM
skumgummi dave
Beauty planes Dustbin. I especially like the looks of the FROG Heron!

Dave-
Sep 10, 2012, 02:47 PM
I second Foamdave. The Heron is on my building list since a long time!

Quick Reply