This thread is privately moderated by Tony Oliver, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 25, 2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberdude
Jennik I just bought this off ebay for $10 thought you might be interested.
Regards,
Damian
Nice one! Though, it looks like a little different version, judging from the construction scheme on the box. I wish you good luck with the build and nice flights!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2011, 09:27 AM
flight999
The original was the Lidguard plan of 1941
which was later kitted by Comet though I
am sure I built mine from the Comet kit well
before 1955. More likely the late 1940'ies.
At 32" span it was never a Wakefield as
such.
Aug 25, 2011, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight999
Good to see an original prop
blank needing carving.
NICE!
Make a good job of that and
you will have a great flier.
Make it a folder, even better.
Jennik & flight999
Jennik by the way your model looks fantastic, and your photography is great too! IF your like me the building is better than the flying!!

I'm actually a little scared to start cutting something that is twice my age. Should I keep it or build it? What do most people with old kits do? Preserve or use?

I to have just rediscovered the joy of building ff models. So far I've built an Earl Stahl Spitfire and Schweizer glider, now doing a Cleveland Condor - wings half built.
Regards,
Damian
Last edited by uberdude; Aug 25, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Aug 25, 2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
I'm actually a little scared to start cutting something that is twice my age. Should I keep it or build it? What do most people with old kits do? Preserve or use?

Regards,
Damian
Damian, your kit looks like the previous owner already cut out some parts. The box art shows it's from the 60s or later. There's plenty of that version out there. I've got one, myself, which I expect to be building later this year. Go ahead and build it. Enjoy it, guy.
Aug 25, 2011, 10:51 AM
flight999
If you can build a Spitfire, or a Condor.
No worries man.
Just go for it and it will fly better than
any of your named models.
Aug 25, 2011, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Damian, I have also bought several vintage models and then felt sorry to cut the wood apart. But, what's the meaning of a bunch of wooden sticks in the box in comparison to flyable model?

Definitely build it and be proud of it!
Last edited by Jennik; Aug 25, 2011 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Aug 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Scott R/C Time Pilot
"I'm actually a little scared to start cutting something that is twice my age."

Damian

Just use the kit to copy the parts, then build the copy.

Scott
Aug 25, 2011, 02:36 PM
At least hippocketaeronautics has a PDF file of the plan AND printwood of the Sparky, in the Builders' Plan Gallery.

To access it, you need to register for the forum AND separately the Plan Gallery.

... attaching a reduced picture of the printwood
Aug 25, 2011, 02:42 PM
Culper Junior
Or you could buy a partial kit and plans from Bob Holman.

Click here and scroll down a little ways....http://www.bhplans.com/RMPg1.html
Sep 11, 2011, 07:01 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
This is my Rumpler C5 built from Guillows plans....but not with Guillows wood or construction design. I made laminated outlines for the tail surfaces and wing tips. The wing ribs are sliced type construction and the formers are thinned and cut down. Anything that would have been plastic in the kit is balsa, such as the cockpit top deck, engine nose cowl, wheels, gun etc. I may carve a prop for it if the test flights seem promising. It may just hang o the wall. This was really just a practice piece for trying out a printed lozenge camo pattern using pre-shrunk tissue. It's applied with UHU stick and then given two mist coats of Krylon Crystal Clear. The markings are fictitious too.
Sep 11, 2011, 11:50 PM
Thats great ECB.
What is the wingspan and where did you get the lozenge type covering tissue??
Sep 12, 2011, 08:20 AM
Very nice job of covering. Did you have any problems with the wings bowing due to lack of a top stringer? It seems to be a constant problem with all the Guillows kits.
I like your lozenge pattern. Did you print it out on white tissue?
Sep 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
1:1 scale is fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpilot
Thats great ECB.
What is the wingspan and where did you get the lozenge type covering tissue??
I had this lozenge pattern on an electronic file from the now defunct Skylake Models. I had ordered his Fokker D-7 short kit, he sent the tissue patterns but never mailed the kit before going out of business. I had to open it in a paint program to move it around and change it a bit. There are a couple of other sources out there as well.
I printed it an off white japanese tissue. I first made 8.5" x 11" frames, applied the tissue with glue stick, sprayed it with water to shrink it, when dry I used glue stick to attach it around the perimiter to a piece of regular copy paper. Fed it through the printer, cut it free and slapped it on the frame, pulling it as tight as possible. Then shot it with Krylon clear. It got baggy in places but a shot with the heat gun fixed it right up.

The Guilllows Rumpler is 22" in span...I enlarged the horizontal stab just a tad.

The wing is pretty stiff once the struts are installed too. Glide tests are showing some possibility as a nice flyer. We'll see.
Sep 12, 2011, 05:11 PM
flight999
It's a beauty.
Let us know how flight tests work out.
Sep 12, 2011, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBoehm
I had this lozenge pattern on an electronic file from the now defunct Skylake Models. I had ordered his Fokker D-7 short kit, he sent the tissue patterns but never mailed the kit before going out of business. I had to open it in a paint program to move it around and change it a bit. There are a couple of other sources out there as well.
I printed it an off white japanese tissue. I first made 8.5" x 11" frames, applied the tissue with glue stick, sprayed it with water to shrink it, when dry I used glue stick to attach it around the perimiter to a piece of regular copy paper. Fed it through the printer, cut it free and slapped it on the frame, pulling it as tight as possible. Then shot it with Krylon clear. It got baggy in places but a shot with the heat gun fixed it right up.

The Guilllows Rumpler is 22" in span...I enlarged the horizontal stab just a tad.

The wing is pretty stiff once the struts are installed too. Glide tests are showing some possibility as a nice flyer. We'll see.

Thanks for posting this explanation of the printing process.
I have tried to print on tissue before and screwed up a good piece of tissue.

Quick Reply