Schooner Thread - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 18, 2017, 03:11 AM
Andrew Charter's the man with schooners ! Check out this link.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...w#post27050906
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2017, 07:08 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Fantastic! Such a talented modeler.
Nov 21, 2017, 08:59 PM

Strip it Fair it

Hi Stephen, The work on my Emma B. has commenced!! I decided not to use a chemical stripper on my hull,as I have had a bad experience using it before on a Bread&Butter hull. On this particular B&B,I used the stripper and it effected the glue holding the lifts together,so much in fact,I had to seperate the lifts,then clean them all,reglue,clamp and so forth(A real Pita).So on the ECB hull,I decided to whip out the old sandpaper and a can of elbow grease !!LOL I started with 120 Grit,which took off most of the stubborn,brushed on enamel paint,the black being the hardest. Then when most of it was removed,switched to 220 grit,which took off the remainder and really smoothed everything down. During this process I used a flexible sanding backer pad,as not to create any flat spots on the hulls curves.When I was done stripping the hull was sooooooooo much more smooth,but still had those stubborn lines (divots) where the rectangular pieces that formed the hull skin joined (glued) together.So I proceeded to break out the Bondo,Professional 2-part Glazing compound and filled in just the lines,after it had dried,I sanded with 220 to try and feather the glazing down,but I noticed that the glazing was harder than the balsa and it started to scallop the balsa,so I stopped immeditetly and pondered at what I should do.My thought was to skim coat the entire hull bottom with glazing,with just a very thin coat.I did this let it dry and sanded with the 220,ahhhhh,so much better,so that is where I am at now.I have to sand the skim coat down completely. My next question is, will the glazing skim coat effect the adhesion of the finishing epoxy and fiberglass cloth,when I go to put it on??? I have always seen modelers do this on bare wood,never over any kind of filler.Any thoughts on this will be appreciated,this will be my first attempt at fiberglassing a hull and I just don't want to mess up.I have choosen a finishing system that I think is user friendly for nubies like me. I will use Zpoxy ,denatured alcohol,Zirolli 1 OZ. cloth. The destarched thin cloth will go around curves well and the epoxy has a long pot life.I was thinking,I should be able to do the entire hull bottom,in three pieces,both sides,then the transom. Please see the pics. below of my progress !!! Thanks,Dave
Nov 21, 2017, 11:32 PM
Owner - Flying Models
Dave,

This is looking very nice, well done.

I recommend a sanding board for final fairing, not a flexible pad. That will greatly help maintaining fair lines.

As for compatibility of your chosen finishing system over the Bondo, you should be fine. That said, there is no substitute for a real world test. Take a scrap of pine or balsa, carve and sand it to give it some shape, then slap on some Bondo and fair it as well. Once smoothed, you will have a nice article you can a use for a test or two with the epoxy.

One caveat regards the alcohol. The only way I have found to thin epoxy without compromising its final cure is with heat. I wouldn't heat it until just before application, as heat does accelerate the cure. Again, an argument for the test.

Also, when you say Zpoxy, which formulation are you planning to use? Their 30 min would be the only one to consider, as the 5 & 15 min will not give enough working time. Personally, I use their finishing resin instead. It is much thinner when mixed, so the alcohol won't be tempting, and you get better working time.

In my shop, I would reach for West Systems 105 resin and 206 hardener as a first choice, ahead of the finishing resin, though I appreciate that may not be an option for you.

Finally, I feel 1 ounce cloth is pretty light for a balsa hull. I would recommend using two layers of it to give a bit stronger skin as insurance against the inevitable bumps and bruises.

Thayer
Nov 22, 2017, 08:15 AM
Brighto?
I use drywall joint compound (mud). It sands easily and you won't remove too much balsa. In fact, I've taken a damp cloth, wiped the area to remove most of the excess then lightly sanded to fair everything in. Then I finish with a base coat of epoxy resin squeegeed in to seal everything then apply a second coat with cloth and epoxy resin, again smoothed with a squeegee. After curing, wipe it down with alcohol then sand and prime. Or, add a third coat of epoxy (West 105 resin, 205 hardener and 410 microlight filler) to fair everything in before the finish.

http://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/l...oint-compound/
Last edited by Mike Denest; Nov 22, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Nov 22, 2017, 08:23 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Your Emma is coming along very nice Good work!
Nov 22, 2017, 08:55 AM
Thank You for your input guys !!! Words of welcomed encouragement and insight on techniques!!! I would just like to save this little beauty from certain decay and sad death of the burn pile LOL!! The more I work on it,the more I am finding out about this vessel and it's composition,(balsa),a beautifully light,but yet a very fragile material. This stuff I am sanding is only 3/16" thick (yikes),must tread (sand) lightly !!! A good flexible sanding board is in order. I shall fashion one for this procedure.
Dec 06, 2017, 11:00 PM
sailtails - YouTube

New Schooner

Hi Everybody,
I think this Schooner thread is a fine idea. Just for fun, here are a few photos of my new plywood 58" schooner.
I routed the sail winch line well outboard along the sides of the hull to allow interior detail.
Cheers, Gary
Dec 06, 2017, 11:23 PM
Modeler/ Historian
That is fantastic Gary. What a beautiful schooner. I love your free form schooner design and your Gaff cutter as well. One of our bunch in San Angelo is building one of your Schooners now.
Dec 07, 2017, 02:31 PM
Gary is the schooner man!!!! Awesome looking schooner Gary !!! Will you offer plans for this one as well ??? Thanks,Dave
Dec 11, 2017, 12:02 AM
sailtails - YouTube

Schooner Trials

Thanks Guys,
I appreciate your comments. I've just begun sailing the new boat, anxious to sail her in more various conditions. Early sea trials in light winds suggest she might like more sail, but have not yet had a chance to sail in stronger wind conditions. Plans ? Let's say a big "MAYBE", but it will be awhile as it will take time to finalize the design and to make up drawings.
Cheers to All, Gary
Dec 11, 2017, 08:38 AM

Another Beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Webb
Hi Everybody,
I think this Schooner thread is a fine idea. Just for fun, here are a few photos of my new plywood 58" schooner.
Cheers, Gary
She looks fast, Gary, would you race her? Are those sails from Mr. Carr? Well done, sir!
Paul
Last edited by glidin'n'slidin'; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:30 AM.
Dec 11, 2017, 11:02 AM

Schooner Sails

Yes, the sails came from our loft. We seem to have schooner sails on the table, or in shipping all the time now!!!
Yesterday, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo.ca6
If you are looking for IDEAS & INSPIRATION for schooners ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MIMIJ-eoK8w
Is that Swede Johnson showing how to operate the gold Attack radio?!

I use zpoxy PT-40 on balsa. I sometimes thin it down with alcohol too. But thinning it down has to be done with extreme care. Ideally use danatured alcohol, less ideally use 90% or purer. They basically cut it with water and water will cloud the epoxy and cause issues. I think I had issues with thinning the 90% stuff more than 20%.

Seriously LOVE zpoxy finally finishing resin!!! I just put two more boxes of it in the shop fridge!

My approach would have been to saturate the inside with a slightly thinned mixture so it would soak in. Let is dry a few days. Then do another unthinned coat inside. That gives the balsa some rigidity before tackling it outside with the sanding blocks. Just an idea though!
Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodACarr
Yes, the sails came from our loft. We seem to have schooner sails on the table, or in shipping all the time now!!!
Rodd made the sails for my Atlantis , including a Genoa. Also trying paneled sails. I'll let y'all know how they do when she's back on the water.