Schooner Thread - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 20, 2017, 11:39 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Will do, although I intend on building something more in line with classic pond yacht specs, what I have right now is contemporary. Classic style with contemporary materials (ABS, GRP , etc...)I read through the rules and mine doesn't qualify, specifically because it doesn't model a particular vessel. Rather my schooner is a freelance design based on several vessels. The popular Bearospace and Tippecanoe schooners wouldn't fit the req's either. Don't mis-understand, I do agree with those rules as they are, one must establish a standard. The standard is classic yachts...I find it interesting that they refer to the Argonauts schooner rules. I have drawings for the Royal Cutter Yacht Britannia, which I am waffling between plank on frame or GRP hull... Not a schooner, but certainly classic, Gaff rig and whatnot. Someday, when I have the time... My dream project will be a 1/20th scale model of Brilliant. However, back on point... Schooners (of all kinds), post up here! Super scale, Classics, Racers.....All are welcome.
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Oct 20, 2017 at 01:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2017, 08:12 PM

AMYA Class

I don't think an AMYA class for such disparate boats would be useful. The boats can only race for fun, as they could never be handicapped to to make them competitive. They would not even be similar, except for the number of masts. The other group mentioned is probably the place for this. A thread here would always be great

The only place I have seen activity is Calvert Marine Museum in Maryland, on the Chespaeke bay. They have a 2009 YouTube video of a "Schooner Race".
Alan
Oct 20, 2017, 09:13 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Good point. However, who says a class must be about racing? It is the American Model Yachting Association not the American Model Yacht Racing Association , that would be AMYRA... LOL! I know it has always been focused on racing, but AMYA clubs (prominent ones like the Argonauts) have had Schooner divisions.... Which weren't about racing either. Just some thoughts. I'm in TX, and many are in CA or West coast anyway. The focus for such as these seems to be the North East.... I would like to stir up some general interest, build a class or not doesn't matter.
Oct 20, 2017, 11:25 PM

vintage model yacht group

you may want to look if the boats would qualify under the vintage model yacht group rules.
its part of Amya. look under other groups.
http://www.usvmyg.org/
Mike

Oct 20, 2017, 11:54 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Back again to usvmyg been there already.... Great group, but doesn't quite cover what I'm talkin bout. Previous posts stated " read the rules, doesn't allow for contemporary, freelance schooners" but that's OK, understand the rules.... Read all posts. Just looking to stir up interest in classic styled yachts, not necessarily for racing, which don't exactly fit USVMYG rules. as an AMYA class to spread interest past the North East. I think the USVMYG is fantastic, and as soon as I build a boat to fit the rules, I intend to register her with them. don't want a campaign to change their rules either. just a niche for classically "styled "schooners .
Oct 21, 2017, 02:20 AM

The Bearospace Irene

I'm posting this simply because Stephen requested some of us that have them to do so.

I've had, or still do have, most of the budget rc sailboats that are so commonplace these days with racing quality craft ready to sail in an hour or so.

That's fine, I race with up to 20 others twice a week, all year round.

But I've always hankered to build something like a schooner but never came across anything practical (I'm Down Under in Australia) or seemingly within my very modest scratch building capability. That is until Google suggested the Irene schooner.
There is a lengthy and well featured thread on RCG that will give anyone a good idea on what it is and how it looks.

Best I can do is these photos and YouTube links.

Rc schooner Irene DownUnder one (3 min 26 sec)

Neangar Molly 1 (3 min 5 sec)

I've only been sailing it over the past month and the best I can say about it in a word, is, remarkable.
Oct 21, 2017, 10:19 AM
Modeler/ Historian
That is a beauty! Thanks for posting. The sail colors really give her a vintage look.
Oct 21, 2017, 11:52 AM
If you are looking for IDEAS & INSPIRATION for schooners ...

You might find this video link interesting and full of ideas ... Mason Park club Irvine CA

NOTE: some may have already seen this video from other forum postings ... but ... gives some great ideas for RC Schooners ... ALL THESE SCHOONERS ARE "Scratch Built" (not kits) based on scale down drawings of the original yachts ...

UPDATE: 5:30pm 10-21-17
This video was done yrs ago (over 10 yrs ago) by local PBS station in Southern CA

Visiting with Huell Howser: Model Boats (26 min 27 sec)
Last edited by slo.ca6; Oct 21, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
Oct 21, 2017, 11:59 AM
Sorry ... somehow duplicated this posting
Oct 21, 2017, 05:14 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Oh Yeah! Anyone who hasn't seen this vid, do yourself a favor and watch. Fantastic stuff!
Oct 21, 2017, 05:34 PM
Great clip on Model Schooners !!! Loved it !! Thanks for posting !!!
Nov 16, 2017, 08:18 PM
Cheers to all who want to just celebrate the schooner rig and don't care about racing.

War of 1812 Privateer, 1/24 scale sailboat model, RC, scratch built, SAILS AGAIN (2 min 35 sec)
Nov 16, 2017, 08:41 PM

another nice film

Hi, just found on youtube. Nice
Evropský pohár RC historických plachetnic 2014 - Hrádek nad Nisou (2 min 40 sec)
Nov 17, 2017, 03:12 PM

Help !!!! Restore or Plug???

Hi fellow schooner fans !!! Great thread !!! I recently picked up an old Sterling Emma C. Berry model in need of some help (total resto) LOL !!! The condition of hull is fair.As some of you might know this kit is skinned w/individual balsa pieces,that show alot of seam edges where they are joined (glued) a great place where a crack can form,allowing water to gain entry. What I would like to know,is the sequence for proper hull repair?? Do I remove the paint first to allow(tooth) for Bondo to grab, then fair, then skin hull with F/G cloth & Epoxy?? or should I remove paint, skin w/ F/G cloth/Epoxy, then fair with bondo/glazing then prime and paint?? Also I would like to know the OZ.weight of F/G cloth 2oz.?? Or just make this hull a plug and take a F/G copy?? Don't know which route would be best?? Any help or ideas to which direction to take, so I can get my schooner in the water!!! Thank You guys for all your help!! I have included pics.to show you what I am dealing with.
Nov 17, 2017, 03:55 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Strip it , fair it , fiberglass it. Inside as well. Often on older Balsa skinned boats with only paint to protect the hull. The balsa has dry rot. This can be remedied with a liberal application of thinned Epoxy ( thinned about 25% with alcohol). The epoxy will soak the old dry balsa and will fix most dry rot We look forward to progress reports.
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Nov 17, 2017 at 05:16 PM.