Schooner Thread - RC Groups
Sep 29, 2017, 08:35 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Discussion

Schooner Thread

Schooners are perhaps the most beautiful and iconic sailing vessels afloat. Most (if not all) on this forum have dreamed of or built a schooner. I am posting this in the sail section, not scale sail. to touch that segment of the AMYA, or international equivalents. Schooners were most prevalent in pond sailing days of the past, lets see how they are today.
I'll start off with a couple pics of my schooner Wasp (currently in the yards) built from the venerable Robbe Atlantis kit.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2017, 12:10 PM

Atlantis

it took a long time to find the correct one …
finally it worked. Now I have to finish this beauty.
Last edited by grafwiloff; Oct 05, 2017 at 06:56 PM.
Sep 29, 2017, 02:59 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Gorgeous boats! My Atlantis is currently undergoing complete re-fit, including updated internals. The demise of Robbe really dealt a blow to the potential schooner builders. Robbe had two fantastic schooners in Atlantis and Valdivia. I believe Valdivia is still available through Billings Boats as "Vanadis". I've heard it is the same kit. So many scratch build from plans or semi scratch options out there as well (Thanks Boater Dave).
Sep 29, 2017, 04:04 PM
Just like big boats it was advances in materials that drove the progression from broad sail to schooner to Bermuda rigs and beyond. It's amazing to see 2 meter tall shroudless tapered carbon masts!

I have the bearospace Irene plans so once I can find the spark to sit down and cut the deck there will be another schooner in the water. Thanks for posting insiration.
Sep 29, 2017, 05:19 PM
I have found the Victor Model Products Mary J. Ward schooner to be beautiful and affordable. Mine is about seven years old and sailing well.
Sep 29, 2017, 07:59 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Beautiful boat. Do you sail with a false keel?
Sep 29, 2017, 09:34 PM
I use the fin keel and lead filled bulb for ballast. It is a little sluggish, even then, but does OK. I am used to racing boats like Victoria and Seawind.

Filling the bulb with lead shot and epoxy was a harrowing several moments that I do not want to ever repeat.

The slot in the hull, for the fin, was not made, and I tried to determine the position from the plans, but I think I am off, and it sails a little down by the stern. The rear edge of the fin is 10 3/4 in. from the end of the skeg (where the rudder attaches). I found a photo on the Yahoo site showing a ruler there, with 9 3/4 in, for the same measurement. That would be worse. I put the battery up against the foremast to get the bow down. I can't really see moving the keel trunk, anyway, as it fits where it belongs.
Oct 11, 2017, 07:33 AM
Modeler/ Historian
So we've seen three of the top kit built schooners so far ( very fine examples) there remains a few more... Emma C Berry, Bearospace Irene etc... Plus I'm hoping to entice some scratch builders into showing their stuff. Soon my re-fit Atlantis will debut!
Today, 12:09 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I would like to know if there is interest in establishing an AMYA class for classic yachts, to include schooners, cutters, pond yachts etc... Personally, the classic scale/semi-scale yachts are what attracted me to radio sailing initially. Any thoughts?
Today, 03:26 PM
The United States Vintage Model Yacht Group already does this.

www.usvmyg.org (needs updating, we're working on it)

Cheers,

Earl
Today, 03:41 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Earl, I've seen your group, its fantastic. Question is: how do contemporary kits such as Robbe Valdivia, Atlantis, or GRP hulls like the Malabar, etc... fit with USVMYG? Some local clubs have schooner regattas or specialty groups.