Comoz Twin - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 16, 2017, 03:24 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Hey buddy have a look at what this guys doing with 2 mm depron and printed paper.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=170

He has some great models if you go back through the thread.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2017, 03:57 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Hey buddy have a look at what this guys doing with 2 mm depron and printed paper.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=170

He has some great models if you go back through the thread.
Man .. some of that stuff is very clever (bit too clever for me) how the hell they manage to get that stuff strong enough is beyond me .. that
mantraro is one clever dude

Lockey
Oct 16, 2017, 07:06 AM
Out Standing In The Field
^Looks like it features a "dis-orientation" marking scheme!
Latest blog entry: Rare Bear
Oct 16, 2017, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
I bought 23 sheets of 3mm Depron from a guy the other day (cheap) and wondered what I could make with 3 mm Depron .. any ideas guys ??

Lockey
Laminate them to make 11.5 sheets of 6mm depron?

There's some nice designs on http://modell-aviator.de some of which include 3mm depron.
Oct 16, 2017, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
Laminate them to make 11.5 sheets of 6mm depron?

There's some nice designs on http://modell-aviator.de some of which include 3mm depron.
Thanks Adam .. now why didnt I think of that ... doh OR .. I could laminate x 3 and make 7 x 9mm and still have 1 x 6mm .. mmmmm .. I am sure my CNC machine would love cutting them eh

Anyway mate, you have been awful quiet on the building / flying .. what have you been doing ?

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Oct 16, 2017 at 07:04 PM.
Oct 16, 2017, 11:01 PM
Not sure if this lends itself to 3mm Depron .. but, seems like a very interesting project to convert to foam construction .. have a read of the article .. very interesting reading

Lockey
Oct 17, 2017, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Thanks Adam .. now why didnt I think of that ... doh OR .. I could laminate x 3 and make 7 x 9mm and still have 1 x 6mm .. mmmmm .. I am sure my CNC machine would love cutting them eh

Anyway mate, you have been awful quiet on the building / flying .. what have you been doing ?

Lockey
I have been quiet!

She who rolls her eyes at me and must be obeyed at all times (also known as the fun police) has started a new business venture with one of her pals and as a result I've been called into action doing more household things which has sadly eaten up some of my time in recent months. It's all settling down a bit now so I'm going to get back to it!

I haven't been completely idle though. I've been busily converting balsa models in sketchup and I'm almost at the point where I could make some plans (I think!). Not of anything original but possibly a conversion to depron of something that already exists. Now whether it would fly or not is another matter entirely!

Still got the Sea Vixen which is about 95% ready and I'd also like to start something else.

I like the Skycar by the way, it looks very interesting
Last edited by scorchythebear; Oct 17, 2017 at 07:16 AM.
Oct 17, 2017, 07:54 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Quote:
Not sure if this lends itself to 3mm Depron .. but, seems like a very interesting project to convert to foam construction .. have a read of the article .. very interesting reading

Lockey
Wow, nice grab from the archives! That looks very interesting.

BTW, I've always been a big fan of sleek looking twin engine planes like the Comoz Twin you've shown here. The P-38 Lightening, Tigercat and Mosquito being some of my favorites.

If the title wasn't already claimed I would (humbly) dub thee the "Wizard of Oz"
Oct 17, 2017, 08:48 AM
Thanks BB .. thats original yes it does look an interesting find eh

So Adam, you have been playing with sketchup, sounds like you are doing ok if you are converting balsa plans to Depron .. keep up the good work mate .. I have been playing with 3 or 3 designs but cant seem to get enthused with ant of them so might just go with the skycar cos its different.

Look forward to seeing some of your builds and flight videos ..

I have started a new thread for the skycar .. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post38466917

Lockey
Oct 17, 2017, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Thanks BB .. thats original yes it does look an interesting find eh

So Adam, you have been playing with sketchup, sounds like you are doing ok if you are converting balsa plans to Depron .. keep up the good work mate .. I have been playing with 3 or 3 designs but cant seem to get enthused with ant of them so might just go with the skycar cos its different.

Look forward to seeing some of your builds and flight videos ..

I have started a new thread for the skycar .. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post38466917

Lockey
I'd really like to make the attached (It's meant to be an Albatros DV) what I have rendered to make it look more posh. The wings are place holders, I find I struggle to get my head around drawing wings in sketchup that aren't rectangular or tapered rectangles. Although your Taube had interestingly shaped wings, perhaps I'll look at that Or fold over wings like on the SE5 might be a bit easier Anyway I like the fuselage, lots of bending required!

Anyway no idea if it would fly, these WW1 planes seem tricky from what I've read. But I think it will be my first build, once I figure the bloody wings out!
Oct 17, 2017, 07:05 PM
Looks good to me mate .. have you learnt how to flatten your parts yet ?

Lockey
Oct 18, 2017, 10:11 AM
Quote:
I'd really like to make the attached (It's meant to be an Albatros DV) what I have rendered to make it look more posh. The wings are place holders, I find I struggle to get my head around drawing wings in sketchup that aren't rectangular or tapered rectangles. Although your Taube had interestingly shaped wings, perhaps I'll look at that Or fold over wings like on the SE5 might be a bit easier Anyway I like the fuselage, lots of bending required!

Anyway no idea if it would fly, these WW1 planes seem tricky from what I've read. But I think it will be my first build, once I figure the bloody wings out!
Looking good.
Oct 18, 2017, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Looks good to me mate .. have you learnt how to flatten your parts yet ?

Lockey
I think so, I found a plugin which adds unwrap and flatten. You just select a section and run it and if it can it flattens it. Works most of the time.
Oct 19, 2017, 01:31 AM
Was going to make a new nose, but after looking at my quickie repair, I decided to leave it and fiberglass the front nose section .. not sure what I am going to do with the repairs on the nacelles and strengthening the retracts ?

Lockey
Oct 19, 2017, 01:38 AM
Quote:
I think so, I found a plugin which adds unwrap and flatten. You just select a section and run it and if it can it flattens it. Works most of the time.
Adam .. I am using an older version of Sketchup (version 8.0.4811) because a lot of my original plugins wouldn't work with the later versions

I am using an old version of a plugin called simply "unfold tool" and it isn't available anymore I don't think .. it might work with the later version .. not sure ..its a manual unfolding tool and so much easier to use (once you know how) than the automatic ones

Lockey

Quick Reply