Pattaya3D - glider (optional motor) - original design by Franck Aguerre - RC Groups
Sep 29, 2017, 04:41 AM
Discussion

Pattaya3D - glider (optional motor) - original design by Franck Aguerre

Hi,
I want to present my first "3d adaptation" of the fantastic Pattaya glider, original design by Franck Aguerre.
The flight result is fantastic and I'm very happy for this. I hope that someone want to print and test the model!

"Only" 20/30 hours of prints for all pieces and little work for assembly!

It's free on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2556521

Let's me know if you make it!

Flight video:
Full 3D printed RC sailplane - Pattaya/Caracara or "big" Crobe - Gava (1 min 25 sec)

Timelapse printing:
Full 3D printed RC sailplane glider - timelapse Anet A8 - Pattaya/Crobe (1 min 11 sec)

Motorized version flight:
Pattaya3D - motorized version (0 min 21 sec)

Bye
Daniele (Italy, Aosta)
Last edited by atlaware; Oct 17, 2017 at 05:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2017, 09:30 AM
Retired CAD guy
You are very far into the Mountains.
I would have many Slope gliders if I were there.

No elevations near me so I may try the Motor version.

thanks
Oct 02, 2017, 03:47 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
Thats a cool wingeron model In the video it looks like the wings are on backwards, but later videos have them wings swept back? Which is it

I'm hoping to make a trip to the slope this fall, I'll have to print this out
Oct 03, 2017, 07:16 AM
Hi, the video have an "incorrect" version of wings, born from a 3d cad design error. But I wanted to test them in flight and was not so bad though correct wings fly better.
I need to do a video with correct wing When I do i will post it.

Print a Pattaya3D, you will not regret it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb_thumbs
Thats a cool wingeron model In the video it looks like the wings are on backwards, but later videos have them wings swept back? Which is it

I'm hoping to make a trip to the slope this fall, I'll have to print this out
Oct 03, 2017, 09:17 PM
ProBro #261
I'm printing it at the moment. I love how simple the control runs are!
Oct 04, 2017, 06:08 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Neat design
I'll print it!
Oct 07, 2017, 07:43 PM
I really like it, too, so adding it to my printing project queue.

Will have to download NetFabb to slice it with, as my printer's z-axis in only 178 mm.
Oct 16, 2017, 03:57 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
I printed out the right wing tip. Used slic3r 1.3.0-dev for slicing. In Hatchbox PLA, with 5% cubic infill, single wall, and 3 layers on the bottom. The weight came out to 27 grams. Is that too heavy? Should I go with 3% infill? I could not get a good part to print with Cura, even with a ton of tweaking. I'm liking slic3r more and more . I might also try ideaMaker.

-Heath
Oct 16, 2017, 06:46 PM
Hi, it's good: maybe 27 grams can be a little too much for only the tip, but If the base wing could be ~35 grams and so a single wing could be 27+35=62/65 grams, you can sure fly!
I can suggest that a more light wing (55 grams) allows landing and flying more easy, but also more "fragile".

Good printing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb_thumbs
I printed out the right wing tip. Used slic3r 1.3.0-dev for slicing. In Hatchbox PLA, with 5% cubic infill, single wall, and 3 layers on the bottom. The weight came out to 27 grams. Is that too heavy? Should I go with 3% infill? I could not get a good part to print with Cura, even with a ton of tweaking. I'm liking slic3r more and more . I might also try ideaMaker.

-Heath
Oct 16, 2017, 06:50 PM
I love me too the simple control system: with 2 servos you do all you need to flight very well!
how does the printing go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc71
I'm printing it at the moment. I love how simple the control runs are!
Oct 16, 2017, 06:52 PM
Hi,
you can divide pieces as you wish and attach them with superglue (cyanoacrylate) that attach very well with PLA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless Stan
I really like it, too, so adding it to my printing project queue.

Will have to download NetFabb to slice it with, as my printer's z-axis in only 178 mm.
Oct 16, 2017, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaware
Hi, you can divide pieces as you wish and attach them with superglue (cyanoacrylate) that attach very well with PLA!
Thank you! That is what I plan to do.
Oct 18, 2017, 06:00 PM
I had the fuse file ready to go, so ran it today. It came out fine except for the rear wall and the aft end of one side. I was using Slic3r with 0.2mm layers, 1 perimeter, 2 layers top and bottom, and 5% infill. Nozzle 0.4mm. 225C on the extruder. 40C for the bed. Weight 29gm.

The other surfaces look perfect, so I was a bit confused by this one thinned out area. The infill looked great, too, except at the very tail end.
Oct 19, 2017, 05:21 AM
Hi, It's printed "vertical"? From the photo I can't understand: seem to be printed Horizontal.
All parts "must" be printed vertical except for the 2 parts that compose the "front" body, mabe is this the problem? The settings it's okey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntless Stan
I had the fuse file ready to go, so ran it today. It came out fine except for the rear wall and the aft end of one side. I was using Slic3r with 0.2mm layers, 1 perimeter, 2 layers top and bottom, and 5% infill. Nozzle 0.4mm. 225C on the extruder. 40C for the bed. Weight 29gm.

The other surfaces look perfect, so I was a bit confused by this one thinned out area. The infill looked great, too, except at the very tail end.
Last edited by atlaware; Oct 19, 2017 at 05:31 AM.
Oct 19, 2017, 10:19 AM
Ah, by print it "vertical" I presume you mean like this? I printed it flat on the bed because it is 200mm tall, and my machine has only 178mm in the z-axis. To avoid the need to "cut" it I changed the orientation. I will cut it and try printing again. Thanks!