This thread is privately moderated by Geoff Potter, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 28, 2017, 08:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Carbon Propellor Moulds

I find with my old timers that I just can't get the props I want to give the revs I want and so I make my own . I start with a wood , fibre glass or carbon prop that is available and then make it to the shape and get the revs I want , but of course if one chips or breaks it you have to do it all again . So I make a mould of it and then can make as many as I like and is repeatable and I can still mod it after its made .
I start by making a pin and nut , this pin for the hole and the nut in the bottom mould then mount the pattern on a hard wood top with the pin to hold it and then fill under it with model clay and shape to get the draft needed in the bottom mould . I make a bottom mould housing out of aluminium bar with holes to fill thru then lock the top to the bottom , some use bolts ,I use "G" cramps and nails for dowels , quick and easy and I'm not looking bits when putting together with a wet prop in it . I build dams around the holes so I can over fill it as the epoxy shrinks if one doesn't get all the air out of it when still liquid , then fill with epoxy mixed with aluminium powder , I try for about 15/20 % powder . I'm going to try steel powder one day as well if I find a supplier of small amounts . I forgot to put in there to release the master and top mould before clamping together . Leave for 24 hrs and then should be ready to pull the top timber off and leave the clay and master prop in the bottom mould .
Clean out the clay properly just leaving the master prop in the bottom with the centre pin sticking out and then machine out the timber top and release the bottom , clamp on the top ,prepared like the bottom was and fill with epoxy and powder same as bottom . Wait 24 hrs and then used the centre pin to wind the mould apart taking the master with the top out of the bottom IF you got the draft angles right . Then punch the pin out of the top and the prop should fall out, then clean and check and polish and check again and it's ready to be released to make some props . I'll do another one of these on making a propeller on a separate blog entry .
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply