Blasts from the Past - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 28, 2017, 06:34 PM
Obsessed
Discussion

Blasts from the Past

Over there years there have been a number of posters here, and guys out DSing, that we just don't see anymore. Some you may remember. I thought I'd start a list and see if folks who know could update us on what they're up to, whether they're still flying, etc.

Victor (DoubleV)
Kal (Z06Kal)
Doug Rubin (Speedster)
Gary Legerton
Bill Lamping (Bill L)
Dean Neiswanger (sp? "D.S.")
Ben (The Tick)
King of the Hill (visits here occasionally - back in SoCal?)
SoCal Bill

I'm sure the list goes on...
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2017, 12:50 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Doug Rubin = Fishing
Gary Legerton = Playing in his band doing bar gigs.
King of the Hill (Joe Zepeda) lives in WA but I heard he is moving back.
SoCal Bill = Had a stroke about 4 years ago. Doing better. Living in Carson CA.

I could be on the list I suppose. lol
Joe Manor = Living his dream of starting a restaurant business. Looking for store #2 currently.
Oct 04, 2017, 01:49 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Oh cool Joe! Sounds like that's going well!! Congrats!
Oct 05, 2017, 06:04 PM
Brett
I'd add:

Kyle Paulson
Doug Reel

Both Kyle and Doug held the DS speed record at one point or another (back when it was in the 200's). Doug was also one of guys that popularized the Opus V. I know Kyle is still active in F3X type stuff, but I haven't heard anything from Doug Reel in a long while.
Oct 13, 2017, 06:33 PM
I added Mr Lift Ticket him self? I fly Sunset (NorCal) all the time and haven't seen Dave Reese in many years. Last I heard he was doing photography.
Oct 29, 2017, 04:06 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Pat Bowman?
2LsVtec?
Austintatious?
Chris_B?
MartyNation?

Swapped Emails with Dean (D.S.) and he's pretty much keeping to himself.

Saw a post from Ben "TheTick" on here about sloping semi recently. Still have a video of him DS'ing and then crashing a big beautiful Glider with his screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" in the background lol...
Oct 29, 2017, 05:35 PM
AustinTatious
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
Pat Bowman?
2LsVtec?
Austintatious?
Chris_B?
MartyNation?

Saw a post from Ben "TheTick" on here about sloping semi recently. Still have a video of him DS'ing and then crashing a big beautiful Glider with his screaming "NOOOOOOO!!!!!" in the background lol...
I'm still lurking here in the flatlands! I have been really preoccupied flying full scale gliders. Now that the soaring season is over and the winds are here, I may get back out to Joe pool for some more DS combat.

I
Oct 29, 2017, 06:36 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious
I'm still lurking here in the flatlands! I have been really preoccupied flying full scale gliders. Now that the soaring season is over and the winds are here, I may get back out to Joe pool for some more DS combat.

I
Full scale gliders as in the ones you sit in? There was a place i lived near in Washington State where you could get certified or whatever but I went up 3 times as a passenger and it was incredible.... I kept thinking the whole time "I wonder if this things could DS"
Oct 29, 2017, 11:32 PM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Quote:
Pat Bowman?
2LsVtec?
Austintatious?
Chris_B?
MartyNation?

Pat Bowman came out to Parker last weekend. He seems to get a pass to go fly about once a year.
Oct 29, 2017, 11:51 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance
Pat Bowman came out to Parker last weekend. He seems to get a pass to go fly about once a year.
sucks I missed it. Would love to see Pat again, it was great living a mile from him in the big days of flying, it would of been great to catch up with him.

BTW- im planning an order on a Sonic end of next week, Thanks for keeping the JW and Sonic alive
Oct 31, 2017, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Full scale gliders as in the ones you sit in? There was a place i lived near in Washington State where you could get certified or whatever but I went up 3 times as a passenger and it was incredible.... I kept thinking the whole time "I wonder if this things could DS"
Apparently, the answer is yes.
https://youtu.be/xlPI0AOj5MI?t=2m39s
However, he only picks up 5 mph in one turn. I'm guessing that if he gets it working better, he'll really have to pay attention so he doesn't exceed maneuvering speed.

I suspect it's going to be a very long time until an aircraft with a pilot on board will exceed the DS speed record of a model. Consider flying around a 3,000 foot radius circle at 500 mph. That's 5.6 g's, continuously! Depending on the tilt of the axis, you'd encounter a bit more on the low end due to gravity. This is assuming that we have materials light, strong, and stiff enough to make a relatively efficient, long wing hold together.
Oct 31, 2017, 02:30 AM
U down with EPP? Ya u know me!
Unfortunately, to go faster in DS you have to turn a tighter circle (and the Gs go through the roof). 2 second laps are becoming "slow", sub 2 second laps is where the speed lies. 10 Gs is very easy to exceed. 120 Gs have been measured.
Oct 31, 2017, 02:41 AM
Brett
Vne of a full scale Ventus is only 168mph, and it's limited to +5.3g. I think most full scale gliders are pretty similar so I don't think circular DS is really in the cards.