Horizon Hobby HobbyZone T-28 Trojan S RTF with SAFE Review - RC Groups

Horizon Hobby HobbyZone T-28 Trojan S RTF with SAFE Review

We get our hands on the HobbyZone UMX T-28 Trojan S and take it for a spin at our local flying field. Read on to find out how well this plane flys.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 16.8in (426mm)
Length: 13.5 in (343mm)
Flying Weight: 1.65 oz (47.0g)
Motor: 8.5mm Brushed Gear Drive
Battery: 1S 150mAH
Available at: Horizon Hobby
Price: RTF - $129.99 / BNF Basic - $89.99

The T-28 Trojan is a staple of the Horizon Hobby electronics category. They've been offered in various sizes and the Ultra Micro variant got a nice upgrade recently with the Trojan S brought to us by the Hobbyzone brand. It now comes in a killer yellow trim scheme and it still has stabilization but now with SAFE technology to make it nearly crash proof. It can be flown indoors or outside and with or without landing gear. The upgrades don't end there though, you also get a great looking 3 blade prop and a more powerful motor. There is also an extra lead next to the battery connector that is used to connect an optional FPV unit. More power, better looks, FPV option and SAFE built it, what more could you ask for? Horizon Hobby sent us the RTF version to check out so let's get right into the review.

What's in the Box

• Fully assembled T-28 Trojan S
  • 6 Channel MLP6DSM Transmitter
  • 4 AA batteries
  • Landing Gear
  • 1S 150mAH Lipo
  • USB charger
  • Manual

Assembly

Well, there's not much to do here. Just put the 4 AA batteries in the transmitter and install the landing gear if you want to use them. The main gear struts slide into slots on the bottom of the wings, make sure to push them all the way in until the wire is clipped into place. The nose gear wire slides down into the slot in the nose and that's it. Charge the battery with the included USB charger and you are ready to fly.

Flying

Flight Modes

Before we get into the meat and potatoes of how the T-28 flys, let's first discuss the various flight modes available. With the flight mode switch in the away or 0 position, the plane will be in Beginner Mode. This is great for your first plane and if you don't feel very comfortable flying just yet. The flight board will limit how far you can pitch the nose up and down and it limits how far you can roll the plane left and right. That means that you can slam the sticks all over, but the plane responds gently and keeps you from over controlling. At anytime when you let off the control sticks, the plane will level itself out and fly straight. This mode is great for even experienced pilots when it gets windy and turbulent. It just makes setting up and landing a stress free task.

Moving the switch to the middle or 1 position will put the plane in Intermediate Mode. In this mode, there are still limits on the pitch and roll axis, but the amount has been increased to make the plane more agile. It's a great next step once you feel comfortable flying in the Beginner Mode. In this mode, there is no self-leveling when you let go of the sticks so you'll need to keep it level and pointed where you want it to go at all times. Intermediate mode just keeps you from being able to loop or roll the plane upside down and prevents you from getting into trouble that way.

With the switch in the forward or 2 Position, the plane will be in Experienced Mode. This means no more limits on pitch and roll, the plane is literally in your hands to control and allows you to perform aerobatics like snaps, loops, rolls and even inverted flight. Do note that in all flight modes the AS3X stabilization technology is working behind the scenes to stabilize the plane through turbulence and wind, making it feel like a larger plane in the air.

Panic Recovery is an awesome feature to have for those learning to fly for the first time as well as those wanting to learn aerobatics. Panic Recovery is available in all the flight modes and you activate it by pressing the trigger on the right side of the transmitter. When you are holding the trigger down, Panic Recovery Mode takes over the controls and levels the plane for you. This means that when in Experience Mode if you feel uncomfortable or get in a bad place, you can press the trigger and likely avoid a crash. It's works amazingly well. I put the plane in some extreme attitudes upright and inverted, spins and more and Panic Recovery was able to self-level out all on its own, very nice!

Take Offs

Taking off is as simple as moving the throttle stick forward. It rolls nicely on paved runways and the steerable nose wheel is great for taxiing around. You can also hand launch with just a push forward to toss the plane in the air with 50% or more power. There's no real tips or tricks here, just give it power and you'll be in the air in no time.

Basics

Flying around in light wind feels really good. It's plenty stable thanks to the SAFE technology and flying basic circuits is a breeze. It's pretty small, so if you are outside, you'll want to keep it relatively close by so you can see what it's doing, but even if you get farther out than you intended to, you can always hold the panic recovery switch and pull the power back and the T-28 will slowly descend and land on its own.

Aerobatics

This T-28 Trojan S is actually quite aerobatic when you want it to be. It has plenty of power for big loops and short vertical climbs for a stall turn. It rolls nicely, but not crazy fast and it is equally happy inverted as it is upright. It performs some decent snaps and point rolls too if you are quick about it. The bottom line here is if you want to horse around, you certainly can.

Landings

Landing on the wheels properly takes a little finesse. You need to keep the power on and apply just the right amount of elevator pressure with throttle to bring it nose high right on the main wheels first. Of course you don't have to land that way, you can simply chop the power and let it coast in and plop down on the wheels. It actually glides pretty well with no power too. Another way to land is to chop the power and hold the Panic Recovery trigger and that acts almost like an auto-land function. Just line up on the runway or landing area before you do that. It also lands just fine on its belly if you are flying without the landing gear. Be sure to cut the power all the way off before you touch down to protect the prop and gear train of the motor.

Is this a Beginners Plane?

Absolutely you could get the T-28 Trojan S as your first airplane thanks to the SAFE technology inside. You'll want to use beginner mode and make sure to follow the instructions, but it is certainly possible to learn to fly all by yourself with this model.

Video

Gallery

Final Thoughts

Well I've been having a blast flying the T-28 and that's what this awesome hobby is all about. This plane is fun to fly, but more than that, it's easy to use, great for beginners and experts alike, has some impressive technology built in, and looks darn cool for a plane this size. I really don't think there is anything I could ask to be changed for what this plane is intended for. I didn't have a single quality, hardware or electronic issue during my time with it and it's definitely a plane that will remain in my hangar for a long time.

Links

You can find the HobbyZone T-28 Trojan S RTF at Horizon Hobby

You can find the HobbyZone T-28 Trojan S BNF Basic at Horizon Hobby

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Oct 25, 2017, 10:25 PM
Imperial Pilot
This is simply the best 1S bird that HH makes right now. I told myself no more brushed motor planes a while ago, but this was so cool looking, I had to pick one up. I'm glad I did.
Oct 26, 2017, 09:15 AM
it is pretty fragile and when parts break there is none aviable
Oct 26, 2017, 09:41 AM
what do you prefer, trojan or sport cub s?
Oct 26, 2017, 05:59 PM
pilotERR
I prefer the trojan over the sport cub s
Oct 29, 2017, 11:39 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
I enjoy flying mine. I added a light kit, still have to add the park flyer plastics canopy. Here is the main thread for the T28S. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...asic-with-SAFE
Oct 29, 2017, 01:57 PM
I recently picked up the RTF version to teach my 3 kids to fly as a distraction while we were evacuated due to the Santa Rosa wildfires (we are all thankfully safe). They had no problem with it - even my 7 year old. It's a great flyer, plenty of power and amazingly stable at the "safe" rates. Only issue I had was there seems to be a significant amount of wing flex when performing aerobatics, to the point where it looks like they might fold. I'm considering adding a carbon main spar to sturdy them up a bit.
Oct 31, 2017, 03:25 PM
AeroDan

Um t-28

Got this on the 14th, & FINALLY got to fly this earlier this morning. Most fun I’ve had in YEARS!!! Highly recommended as a first warbird. Thanks for re-issuing this, HobbyZone!!!!!
Nov 02, 2017, 01:50 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedos
what do you prefer, trojan or sport cub s?
The Trojan
Nov 16, 2017, 09:41 AM
I wonder if this new motor will fit in the old UM T-28?? I love my little T-28, but it's definitely a little underpowered.....
Dec 13, 2017, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfh222
it is pretty fragile and when parts break there is none aviable
There are plenty of parts available now, even for my older (discontinued) white version.

Back in the day, this is what was know as a PARKZONE plane.

When the larger model was out -about 10 years ago- I noticed that the optional 3-blade prop provided less thrust and was much more fragile. If anyone wants better performance (as noted above) the older 2-blade prop is still available.

My older version is a blast to fly but I would not at all consider it for beginners. Kinda fast, interesting that the tech can change that- I may experiment and get this for my sons first plane. He will have to practice on the sim first.