Guillows Fokker Dr1 - RC Conversion - RC Groups
Sep 28, 2017, 12:13 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
Build Log

Guillows Fokker Dr1 - RC Conversion

Having completed the Guillows Albatross (no successful maiden yet - too windy today) I wanted to start a new project, which will be the start of a 5 plane total build. I saw on RcGroups some of the Guillows models at very good prices. So I picked up all of the Guillows WWI offerings. I decided to start with the Dr1.

This model is a little bigger than the Alby. In this build I am going to try a few new things. First I will building on a metal table and using magnets. I started with the Alby making parts with magnets but this will be the first full build. Second, I plan to laminate the tail section and the wing tips. I'm trying to reduce the weight of the airplane, so I'm thinking that by laminating these areas it will cut down on weight.

I am hoping to use a 250 size motor and 2S 500 Mah battery with a 8-10 ESC. I also will be using micro servos I saw in Heads Up RC and plan make the tail a pull-pull system. I considered pull pull for the ailerons but that is too much punishment - so a servo there.

I also want to beef up the landing gear and possibly the cabane struts.

I hope to start soon.

Sean
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2017, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscow580
I wanted to start a new project, which will be the start of a 5 plane total build.
Looking forward to this, Sean!

Gene K
Sep 28, 2017, 11:15 PM
Hi Gene

Thanks for signing on.

Got started a little. I stripped some 1/16" basswood into 1/32" strips to be used for the laminations. I had some leftover plastic tubes and filled one with warm water, placed the strips in for overnight. Next I need to cut out some forms from foam to run the laminations over. I am thinking of making the tail surfaces a tad bigger (roughly 1/8" or 4 1/32 strips). I can even go 3/32 so that it is not too much bigger than the outline on the plans.

I modeled a 1/6 scale Dr1 in the below scheme and I am going to do it again, because I love the look.

Sean
Last edited by moscow580; Sep 28, 2017 at 11:25 PM.
Sep 29, 2017, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscow580
I modeled a 1/6 scale Dr1 in the below scheme and I am going to do it again, because I love the look.
Really attractive scheme! Attached is some artwork and the skin from Rise of Flight. If I can be of any "assistance" scaling, etc, please don't hesitate!

Did you post your 1/6 model (I hope)?

Gene K
Edit: (I think you meant Jasta 6?)
Last edited by speedy01; Sep 29, 2017 at 12:15 AM.
Sep 29, 2017, 09:49 PM
Knock 'em dead, Sean.
Is this the Series 200 Dr.1? 20" WS, IIRC?
I have one of those also.. in box. It is next in queue after the Herr Fokker D-VII.

Consider lightening the frame as you go. Scigs30, a fine builder, found it wound up weighing more than the 24" WS SE5a when he built it for rubber. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...okker-D1-build
Also, Scigs30 found the stock wheels to be SOO heavy that he made his own .. see his SE5a thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Guillows-SE-5

As you may recall, I used the Dubro clones of the old GWS superlite wheels... but I envied Scigs30's work with superthin polystyrene.

juanito
Last edited by juanito; Sep 29, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Oct 01, 2017, 12:57 AM
Hi Gene.

I really appreciate the offer I might just take you up on it. Right now I am thinking to cover the model in tissue, tighten the tissue with water and hot air, then air brush the stripes and color, then seal air EZ Dope. However I might be persuaded to the go the printed way. I will keep you posted. My 1/6 scale Fokker is here. Unfortunately it is not around anymore. My prop came off in flight and it dropped from about 4-5 stories. Hope to build another one day.

Hi Jack.

Yeah this is the 20 model. I will check out the other build to see how that modeler lightened the frame. As for wheels I will probably build my own from balsa and 1/64 ply. I use old charging wire to make the tires. That is how I made the wheels on the Alby.

I started the lanination of the tail section. I am a little pleased but will do it over again. I started with 1/32 x 1/16 strips, but they were too thin and it did not hold its form. I think I am going to try 1/16 square the next time around. The following photos will tell the story better.

Sean
Oct 01, 2017, 08:12 AM
I built one of these in the early seventies. It was heavy. With the supplied prop and rubber it didn't fly. It barely glided.

Lightening the airframe and adding electric power should be much better. Good luck!
Oct 01, 2017, 09:18 AM
Hi Reylf

Thanks for signing on. Yeah you are right the key is lightening the AUW. The electric motor will help a lot but the lift is important too.

Sean
Oct 01, 2017, 08:06 PM
You picked challenging build

Looking forward to it

Dan
Oct 01, 2017, 09:07 PM
Hi Dan.

Thanks for signing on. Hopefully not too challenging. Just applying skills to a smaller topic.

Sean
Oct 01, 2017, 10:34 PM
Oh! Just love model
Looking forward to this build. Challenging all around, especially the paint scheme. Hardware choice seems good.

August
Oct 02, 2017, 02:18 PM
Hi August

Thanks for signing on. Was perusing your Skyraider build. How is that coming along?

Sean
Oct 03, 2017, 10:05 AM
Oh! Just love model
Skyraider is done and is my favorite flyer right now. Still might replace the canopy. There was discussion of my putting weapons on it, but I like the way it looks and flies clean. Also, I've been watching the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary. It has some Skyraider footage and also a lot of grim footage of what happened after the Spads released their ordnance. Did you know that the famous photo of the naked burned Vietnamese girl was from a SVNAF Skyraider napalm attack? A film photographer caught the whole event surrounding the photo. This series takes a while to get over and I might prefer not to be reminded of it by my toy plane, at least for now.

August
Oct 03, 2017, 11:22 AM
Ken Burns ALWAYS reaches into places inside us that we did not easily admit were there.
I think "VietNam" is as fine as "The Civil War" ... which I still count as one of the very best documetary/history works ever.

My father, who first saw "jellied gasoline" airstrikes in Okinawa ,while he was blowing up and burning out caves, said that napalm was worse than Willie Peter. I agree.

juanito
Oct 03, 2017, 11:58 AM
I'm watching your build too - the Dr1 has been on my "must build" list for some time, so I'm keen to see how yours comes out.

I caught some of The Vietnam War documentary too, and I had a similar reaction. It has always been hard to reconcile my love for warbirds with the actual results of what they do.

Mike C.