Senior Dart - RC Groups
Sep 28, 2017, 04:50 AM
Build Log

Senior Dart

Hi all, we have a unique Vintage competition class down here in NZ for vintage rubber models. Can be scaled and battery size and cells are set by wing area for an E Texaco style event. I have chosen this great looking scalish 1937 design but scaled up to 60 in span. It has been a blast to build and incredably light. What you see here is just 12 ozs. We don't have a wing loading limit for this class so light is good. she will be powered by a 450 MAH S2. I know its not the most competitive design I could have built but it will work at that weight.

Allan
to remove ads between posts
Sep 28, 2017, 07:10 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
I like it!
Sep 28, 2017, 02:12 PM
Looks good! Chosen a colour scheme yet?
Sep 28, 2017, 04:12 PM
B for Bruce
When a design is that good looking who cares if it's competitive or not ! ! ! !

The SD has been on my "must build" list ever since I saw the plans and pictures quite a few years ago.
Sep 28, 2017, 05:14 PM
Nice model with a superb color scheme! Don't fly too high though. You risk loosing sight of it!
Sep 29, 2017, 12:50 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guizzo 17
Nice model with a superb color scheme! Don't fly too high though. You risk loosing sight of it!
It may be hard to see in the air but blue would actually stand out well on the ground.... unless it lands in a pond.....
Sep 30, 2017, 05:11 PM

Progress

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, it is a lovely looking model and I just had to build it. Construction is coming along. I have built a fibre glass cowl that mounts the motor on its front plate then the cowl attaches with screws. I have built the turtle deck and that will be covered seperately before attachment.
Made a start on the wooden wheels too. These have extended bushes so I can spin them for shaping. I'll cut off flush afterwards.
I'm interested in color scheme suggestions. It will need to be Sollite for weight reasons. I always use dark colors underneath for visibility and light on top so the sun doesn't sag the covering so much. I like that blue scheme too on the one on the Outer Zone site. Tough to see though I'm sure.

Thanks for the interest

Allan.
Sep 30, 2017, 09:07 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Allan -

The Dart i've had the plan since the 80s, always liked it and following your fine build....

Best regards,

jeff
Oct 01, 2017, 04:37 AM
Cheers Jeff, I have shaped those wheels and they are down stairs curing with a coat of epoxy and 3/4 oz glass to harden them up. They are really light at 15 grams for a 3.5 inch wheel. The streamline profile helps the drag.

Allan
Oct 06, 2017, 04:43 AM

A bit more done

I'm at that stage where most of the big bits are done and everything slows down as you do the detail stuff.
The wheels are painted and decorated. I use felt tips to black in the tyres and lettering then clear coat. They look OK at a distance if you close one eye!
The cowl has come up nicely and is ready for the motor mounting and attachment to the front B/H.
I have even hinged and glued on the tailplane.
Balance looks like it will come up OK. The proportions are so close to Lancer that the CG will be the same near enough at 42%.
The colours will be red and white as I couldn't get the blue I wanted in Solite.
I guess I will finish up with a racer scheme much like the lancer and I could do worse as it always looks sharp I think. I attach my Lancer pics to give you a feel for the kind of think I have in mind
By for now.

Allan
Oct 15, 2017, 04:50 AM

Covering under way

I've been a bit slow but I'm finally underway on the covering. A bit of colour is starting to bring it to life.

Allan
Oct 22, 2017, 02:21 AM

Dart is now Covered

Nearly done. It does look sleek and shiny thanks to all that plastic film. Best of all it is just 22 ozs.
It may be a couple of weeks before I can fly her. Its a windy time of year in NZ and this just isn't a windy weather model. A lovely calm evening wafting around in the setting sun would be perfect though.
Roll on summer.

Allan
Oct 22, 2017, 04:22 AM
Allan,

Sharp it certainly is with that classic white with red trim.

60" span and 22 oz weight - definitely light. What's the power train??

john
Oct 23, 2017, 12:36 AM
Great covering job as usual Allan, its a beauty. I'm also interested in hearing about the motor and prop your using as well as the amp draw from the 2cell 450mah pack.

Tony
Oct 23, 2017, 01:04 AM

Power train

Cheers, covering looks OK at a distance! it's never easy to get the wrinkles out in the tight spots.
The power train is a NTM 1400 2836 motor, 18 amp Turnigy controller and a 8x4 APS electric prop. I have taken the folder off although I may go back to it. This set up is the same as my "5 Foot Gas" which is the same size but for E Texaco. This set up will draw 11 amps max.
The motor and controller can handle more power. I have some 3 cells for when I would like some more climb performance for sport flying.

Allan