"DragonStein" US1M conversion - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 11, 2017, 02:11 PM
Kevin Gault
Bill,

I prefer arm winches in this type of boat, so I'm using a Hitec digital HS-7955TG with a single arm setup. We'll see how it works, but it should have plenty of speed and power.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
The one I made was a Z1. It seems to be better in the light conditions we have here than the Z3, which due to the ridge along the keelline, does not tack as easily. The new one will be a Z2+ (my destination), not the Z3.

Steve Andre only made about 5 of the Z2's. There were never any plans for it since they were made by extending the Z1 mold to increase the freeboard. I am going to increase the freeboard like on his Z2, but only from just ahead of the mast to the bow, add a peaked foredeck and add some "secret sauce" ideas of my own.

The mold I am going make will be able to produce either the 2+, or a Z1 by cutting the freeboard back to the original location. I'll scribe a line in the mold at that location so it will be easy to trim.

With modern lighter weight servos and a film deck rather than a G10 deck, it should come in at about the designed displacement.

Now back to Kevin's "monster build" 8-0
Zipper 2+ ....Nice, very nice.

Back to the "monster" build!
Oct 24, 2017, 02:08 AM
Kevin Gault
Got the keel bulb faired and finished, and the mast "mostly" put together. Still need to build some booms and work out the sheeting system. Figured the taller mast would need shrouds to keep the rig straight in more breeze, not to mention I wasn't sure the stock mast step would survive the higher load from the heavier bulb and taller rig. Just taped the sails onto the spars to see how she looks.

Kevin
Oct 24, 2017, 09:34 AM
Modeler/ Historian
She looks fantastic Kevin. Can't wait to see how she sails.
Nov 10, 2017, 03:06 AM
Kevin Gault
Got the rig pretty much done, just needs some clean-up and tuning. I need to finalize the wiring inside the boat and get her on the water alongside to my Desatoff Mark 2 boat and see how they compare. This boat should end up just a hair over 6 lbs all up My Mark 2 is 5.8lbs (whose keel is about 4 ozs lighter), so they are pretty close.

Kevin
Nov 10, 2017, 10:15 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Kevin:

Very clean. Great job.

I will be interested to hear your opinion of how the smaller DF rudder works with the larger rig. I tried one on a US1M and felt it was too small - not enough turning authority. But for $10 it was worth trying.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:22 PM
Kevin Gault
Thanks Steve,

I've wondered the same thing, as the DF rudder is quite a bit smaller than the one on my other US1M. I worked with the linkage to allow quite a bit of rudder angle, which should help with down-speed maneuverability, but the real test will be when the breeze is on. Should be easy enough to make a larger rudder if necessary,

I'll get a registration off to you ASAP!

Kevin
Nov 11, 2017, 08:35 PM
would like to see some pics of the sail servo setup when done please!!! thanks
Last edited by lavaandy; Nov 12, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
Nov 12, 2017, 11:15 PM
Kevin Gault
Andy,

It's a digital Hitec HS7955TG set up as an arm winch. I removed the stock electronics "tray" and made a "minimalist" CF frame to hold the sail and rudder servos. Receiver is velcro'd under the aft deck, and the battery at the bottom of the hull next to the keel box. Sheeting runs out to the stock turning block aft and Y'd to run through a bridle for the main and the aft most eye on the foredeck for the jib. So far only "sailed" the boat in a swimming pool and it seems to work OK. Will probably need some refinement over time.

Kevin
Nov 13, 2017, 01:41 PM
Some refinement over time? Why bother, it already looks great and fully functional .... it's time to sail this puppy!
Nov 13, 2017, 02:25 PM
Kevin Gault
I've got points races in other classes this weekend, but if I can fit this boat in my truck with the others, I plan to get her on the pond. There probably won't be any US One's to "speed test" with, but hopefully I'll at least get some time to dial in the tune.

Kevin
Nov 15, 2017, 11:39 AM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist
Andy,

It's a digital Hitec HS7955TG set up as an arm winch. I removed the stock electronics "tray" and made a "minimalist" CF frame to hold the sail and rudder servos. Receiver is velcro'd under the aft deck, and the battery at the bottom of the hull next to the keel box. Sheeting runs out to the stock turning block aft and Y'd to run through a bridle for the main and the aft most eye on the foredeck for the jib. So far only "sailed" the boat in a swimming pool and it seems to work OK. Will probably need some refinement over time.

Kevin
Kevin, that servo is plenty strong, but if you can, get the "sheeted in" position to be right over the top of the servo to reduce the "holding effort" while going upwind.
The consistent load with the arm out from center may give you problems later. This will also change the geometry in your favor to soften the movement while close hauled for smooth trimming upwind, and really speed it up on the run for some sweet "flick" gybes. This "should" be as simple as adjusting the butt end length of your sheet control line after clocking the arm on the servo. Be VERY careful if you get in a tangle, cause you can literally tear that boat apart with it if you sheet in and the booms don't move. Maybe suggest using a low strength conrol line to break before the boat does.
K-bits offers an in-line fuse to blow before the servo burns up in the event of a tangle as well. We've used that servo in IOM's in the past with good success.
Nov 17, 2017, 01:27 AM
Kevin Gault
Thanks Steve,

I should've worked more carefully on the geometry from the start. Normally I do try and get the sheet to cross over the output shaft of the servo when fully sheeted in. That is one of the refinements I plan to do after I sail this thing a few times and see how it stacks up against my other US1M. To do it I'll have to cut away some of the servo "frame" on the forward side.

So far I haven't had an issue with breaking anything, even in a tangle on any of my other boats (all with sail servos at least as strong as the 7955). It might be because I use sliding sheet adjusters on a trolley line run along the booms. If they're set up right, they don't move under normal sailing/gybing loads, but they can slip to relieve strain if there's nothing else that will give.

Great points though!

Kevin
Yesterday, 12:45 AM
Kevin Gault
Got the boat on the water for the first time today. Pretty light/crappy breeze. Seemed to balance pretty well, and seemed fairly quick with a little breeze. No other US One Meters to speed test with so a bit hard to make any good judgments. As Steve V mentioned above it seemed a bit sticky in super light air. I think taking some weight out of the aft end of the bulb might help. It also reminded me I can't sail for s__t without telltails. Didn't get any photos, but a short video on Facebook here. https://www.facebook.com/larry.grant...1146880931223/

Don't know if it will work for you.

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Yesterday at 01:22 AM.
Yesterday, 12:37 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Nice video.
It would have been interesting to see it sailing with a stock DF95, just to see the speed difference.