"DragonStein" US1M conversion - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 11, 2017, 01:11 PM
Kevin Gault
Bill,

I prefer arm winches in this type of boat, so I'm using a Hitec digital HS-7955TG with a single arm setup. We'll see how it works, but it should have plenty of speed and power.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
The one I made was a Z1. It seems to be better in the light conditions we have here than the Z3, which due to the ridge along the keelline, does not tack as easily. The new one will be a Z2+ (my destination), not the Z3.

Steve Andre only made about 5 of the Z2's. There were never any plans for it since they were made by extending the Z1 mold to increase the freeboard. I am going to increase the freeboard like on his Z2, but only from just ahead of the mast to the bow, add a peaked foredeck and add some "secret sauce" ideas of my own.

The mold I am going make will be able to produce either the 2+, or a Z1 by cutting the freeboard back to the original location. I'll scribe a line in the mold at that location so it will be easy to trim.

With modern lighter weight servos and a film deck rather than a G10 deck, it should come in at about the designed displacement.

Now back to Kevin's "monster build" 8-0
Zipper 2+ ....Nice, very nice.

Back to the "monster" build!
Today, 01:08 AM
Kevin Gault
Got the keel bulb faired and finished, and the mast "mostly" put together. Still need to build some booms and work out the sheeting system. Figured the taller mast would need shrouds to keep the rig straight in more breeze, not to mention I wasn't sure the stock mast step would survive the higher load from the heavier bulb and taller rig. Just taped the sails onto the spars to see how she looks.

Kevin