Learning Project Piper Cherokee - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 12, 2017, 01:40 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I believe Depron foam is hard to get in the States now, otherwise these shapes are fairly easy, all with built up fuselage and wings -----

Ray.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2017, 03:32 PM
In our area, Home Depot carries the pink and Lowes the green. Don't know who has the blue (it used to be Lowes, I believe, but not in the last couple of years).

Finished glassing the rest of the model Tuesday & Wednesday, then did a lot of sanding. Today, I mounted the HS & VS (Gorilla Glue) and spackled the wing saddle.

EflightRay, I've worked with Depron and Dollar Store Foam, but I'd rather not go in that direction at this time. I like pink/blue foam's ability to be carved and sanded to neat shapes (frustrated sculptor, I guess).

I am making notes and looking at places where I can cut model weight. I am committed to finishing this model, though, even if it goes to the auction block (assuming a successful test flight).

CD
Oct 13, 2017, 07:40 AM
First time I've had a problem with Gorilla Glue. It looks like the foaming on one side was enough to push the stab up on that side. Not off by lot, but it is visibly off.

CD
Oct 14, 2017, 08:29 AM
Retired CAD guy
Still ... you're better of than spending $170 for the heavy GP Cherokee
Oct 15, 2017, 03:14 PM
You're right, Birdofplay. All I'd learn from buying an ARF is how much it cost. For me, flying is secondary to designing and building (most of the time). I'm not anti-ARF, but my big thrill is in seeing something I created, from scratch, actually fly. Not all of my projects work out, but when they do...

Cut the aft belly open yesterday and went bonkers with the Dremel (using the snake extension). I weighed the fuse before and after, finding I'd removed 9 grams from the fuse. Only half the weight of a servo, but it's all from behind the CG.

Installed the elevator and rudder servos, added a foam brace for the pushrods and an air exhaust aft of the wing, then sealed the aft fuse back up. I also cut out the battery hatch, cut a slot for the (front) hinge, and glued some rare-earth magnets into the hatch. I WILL have to add a handle (or something) to the rear of the hatch so I can pull it open.

Right now, the fuse is spackled and drying.

Side note: When I glassed the ailerons, I tacked the glass in place with a glue stick (the kiddie kind that goes on purple, then dries clear). It dried before I brushed on the epoxy, but turned back to purple and has stayed that way for several days. Not only does it look odd, but it wasn't necessary in the first place.

CD
Oct 16, 2017, 06:20 AM
I went to the local lumber yard Saturday and all they had was 3/4 green foam. None of the dollar stores had the readiboard.
Oct 16, 2017, 10:52 AM
treefinder
Did you check Dollar Tree? they almost always have it.
Oct 16, 2017, 01:21 PM
The closest dollar tree is about an hour away from here.
Oct 17, 2017, 08:20 AM
treefinder
Ah, well then you may have to try the wallyworld foam . others have and seem to like it ok. How far to walmart?
Oct 17, 2017, 12:22 PM
I think there’s 3 of them within 15 miles lol. My wife thinks there’s a dollar tree here in town though.
Oct 17, 2017, 09:12 PM
My wife found some black stuff at the Meijer store up the road. Looks like it’ll work.
Oct 20, 2017, 07:57 PM
Lots of family stuff been hitting over the last few days, slowing down working on the Cherokee. I've built a simple spray booth and gotten a sample bottle of off-white paint to use as the base color.

I'm not happy with how the fuse came out. Frankly, if this were one of my regular projects, I'd have tossed it in the trash and started over. I need to do a much better job of sanding and prepping the foam before painting it. I'll probably skip the glassing, too, as it doesn't seem to add that much strength to the fuse -- some carbon fiber inserts will likely do much better.

I'm going to finish this, project, although I'll probably only fly it a few times and then give it away (assuming it survives its maiden!).

CD