Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 11, 2018, 06:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Well that sux... so the data logging feature on castle controllers is useless?
Not useless, just don’t turn the sampling rate up as it can cause ‘knocking’ sounds in the motor.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2018, 06:29 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
Got a few of my graphics on the extra tonight
Mar 11, 2018, 11:01 PM
Looking good! Can’t wait to get home and work on mine.

Dave
Mar 12, 2018, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
Well that sux... so the data logging feature on castle controllers is useless?
That's not really what he said. Although Steve Rogers is my #1 source for all things Castle, what is being said is that it 'could' hinder normal operations.

I've personally never witnessed any hindering, but I also turn the log sampling down to 1 Hz. I believe it's defaulted to 5 Hz, and on some motors, the log at 5 Hz can make a noise that sounds like a bearing issue.

I also do all my testing on the ground, because the numbers will only calm down in the air once the prop load releases. So static ground test will be the max values. Once the testing is done, and you have a feel for what's going on, you can shut it off if you feel better. But I've never found a need to do that with 10, 14, or 28 pole motors.

The Castle log is a valuable option IMO.
Mar 12, 2018, 07:15 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Thank you for clarification.

Admittedly I have been eager to look into more of my data... I've always flown without telemetry and think it would be interesting to get some actionable data.
Mar 14, 2018, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Not useless, just don’t turn the sampling rate up as it can cause ‘knocking’ sounds in the motor.

SteveT.

....yes i had the problem with the CC EDGE HV80A-engine xpwr 30 cc. I turned the data off and the engine stopped tapping. ***winter***
Mar 14, 2018, 12:10 PM
"I will return" Federico
While I had the Xpwr 60 installed in my 87" Extra I had data logging on for every flight with the CC Edge 160HV. It worked great and provided lots of useful information about each flight. It might help spot potential problems before they pose a risk to the plane.

The same ESC used with a Motrolfly DM 5335 did not work well without turning data logging completely off. Until then I had a few flights with the motor making popping noises, which is disturbing to say the least when your ears are tuned to what a smooth running motor should sound like.
Mar 14, 2018, 02:34 PM
Does Castle know about this problem?
Mar 14, 2018, 02:42 PM
Yes. But it's tough to classify it as an issue. It's been happening for a while and the only real issue seems to be the noise. Like I said, I turn the sample time down to 1 per second and the noise goes away. I never had to turn it completely off on any Xpwr or Motrolfly motors and the only motor where I actually said "what the heck is that?" was on was the DM5327. I set the PWM on my MF motors to 8 KHz. I didn't play with it to see if a lower or higher switching affects the noise.
Mar 14, 2018, 02:45 PM
"I will return" Federico
I'm sure they are aware of it. I contacted CC last July about another issue, and they mentioned this in response:

"The data logger itself can make a clicking noise when taking samples but that is rarely heard. You can check this by turning the logger off and see if you still get that noise??"
Mar 14, 2018, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I just had to lower it.
Mar 15, 2018, 11:48 PM
Well back from China and back at it. I installed the landing gear tonight. What I like about the kit is that it is an evolution of the ones before and many small details have been well thought out.

Next step is to mount the Power 60.

Dave
Mar 15, 2018, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaTrey
I did replace the stock foam main wheels with Kavan wheels which are 1.3 oz heavier in total.
Did you use the 4.0" Papa Trey?

The stock foam tires wear quickly on a hard surface.

Dave
Mar 16, 2018, 06:49 AM
PapaTrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davegenet
Did you use the 4.0" Papa Trey?

The stock foam tires wear quickly on a hard surface.

Dave
Yes I did.
Mar 16, 2018, 06:00 PM
They call me Lipo...

Northwest RC NOONTIME DEMO at AEF 2018!

Here's the Saturday noontime demo featuring SupaTim and Colton Clark last month at the Arizona Electric Festival !
Northwest RC NOONTIME DEMO! with SupaTim and Colton Clark - AEF 2018 (6 min 18 sec)

SupaTim is flying the 95" Extra 330-E, and Colton is flying the 120" Turbo Bushmaster

Just wait until you see SupaTim doing a rolling turn AROUND Colton's HOVERING Bushmaster !!!

This is one AWESOME demo....enjoy the show !
Last edited by Justwingit; Mar 16, 2018 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply