This thread is privately moderated by nigelsheffield, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 27, 2017, 07:23 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Boldclash p01 whoop charger review.

I am really happy with this charger and wanted to share why I think it's the best option for charging single cell lipos right now.
First of all some pictures and a link to my first video review and also a short video demo of it whilst it is charging so you can see the display and see how it works.
Buy it here( none affiliate link) http://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-p...lack-p129.html
Or support me by using these links at no extra cost to you.
B06:https://goo.gl/tpmw6H
B06 & spare parts:https://goo.gl/i4cRw2
B06 Battery:https://goo.gl/Qu3ikW

Name: IMG_20170927_132952.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 911.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_132925.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 925.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_132912.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 924.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_123010.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 368.1 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_123104.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 843.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_123118.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 842.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_125059.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 870.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_125550.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 744.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20170927_125627.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 517.9 KB
Description:
Video review
Review of boldclash p01 whoop charger. (5 min 2 sec)

Demo of the display charging
Boldclash p01 charger demo (1 min 14 sec)

As you can see from the pictures it's got 6 ports for charging and each one can be HV or normal lipo setting, the current is set between 0.1 and 1.0 amps in 0.1a stages and is applied to ALL the ports so set it Romanian the lowest mah cell being used, I thought this might be a problem but in reality it's not, I can up the charge if need be once the lower may batteries are charged by simply pressing the button during the charge.
Each battery voltage is displayed during the charge and LEDs turn green when charged.
Voltage has been exactly 4.2 EVERY time tested on my multimeter after charging so this is a nice accurate charger unlike the little green chargers which I've found to vary a lot.
It also has a 2.1a usb charge port which is useful for charging phone or fpv goggles which is particularly useful because it can be powered from a 2s to 4s lipo or a normal 12v power supply.

It has all three socket type for different batteries plus it comes with some adaptors for the little red hat plugs too so suits all my 1s lipos.

It beeps when each battery fully charged.

This has become my go to charger because it is accurate, quiet, looks neat with no need for lots of adaptors etc, I can carry it with me when I go flying and can use it to charge phone/fpv goggles and 1s flight batteries and see the charge voltage of each battery too rather than just an led.

So no need for pros and cons etc as it's all pros and no cons.....
If you need a 1s charger just get this one!

Edit
The low voltage protection for power battery is said to be set at 3.3v and no mention of it being user changeable so there is room for improvement there, I personally do not rely on it anyway and I use a battery checker on the balance lead of my battery to check the charge state so it's not an issue and I'm still very happy with this charger.

http://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-p...lack-p129.html

Note that this is available in various packages with extra batteries for boldclash b03 pro, b05 and b06 and we'll worth getting these extra batteries because they seem to work well.
I tested the 300mah for capacity and it had just a little over 300mah and it flies my b03 around for a bit longer than the original b03 battery ( note that the pro battery is actually 300mah too even though it says 260 on it! )
Name: IMG_20171122_172046.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 608.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_20171122_183145.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 574.7 KB
Description:

Edit after using this for ages and ages I found the connectors for pH.20 power whoops started wearing out and charging was not working properly, I opened it up and replaced the connectors with these.

https://www.banggood.com/100Pcs-Mini...ustlinkid=1745

About $3 for 100 pcs so I can use them to replace my whoop connectors too.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jan 08, 2019 at 12:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2017, 09:42 AM
looking up, down under
nice toy, nigel

i had my eye on this one :
https://www.banggood.com/AOK-CX605-C...p-1158468.html

but unfortunately found it too late, having already spent $ for the hobbyking offering :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...rging-box.html

but i got it on special for us$9.99 at the time, which lessens the pain

if i had my choice again, i'd buy the aokoda - their tiny 1s battery meter impressed me, but their charger would have obviated the need for that device as it has a built in meter like the one in your review, and can run on battery, or usb power

cheers
Sep 27, 2017, 10:06 AM
Thread OP
The aokoda looks interesting though I'm not sure about the need to buy dedicated one for HV or normal lipos and do both go up to 1 amp charge ?!?!, I like the fact that you can set the low voltage for the power source, I'm not sure if that can be done with the p01 , it does say it has low voltage protection for power source but no mention of if it can be adjusted but it states 3.3v per cell which is really too low but will depend on the amps being drawn anyway , not a problem for me generally though as I just keep an eye on it by plugging in a little battery checker into the balance connector and won't let the battery drop too low.

Someone has said that the p01 is on tmart for £13 odd so as always shop around..

Anyway these chargers are better than the little green things or using the balance leads etc on a big charger, nice to have a quiet and accurate charger with adjustable current.
Latest blog entry: Diatone R349 pocket rocket!!!
Sep 27, 2017, 10:20 AM
looking up, down under
i confess i sometimes charge a single cell little 'un on the thunderpower for giggles when i want fast action

i'm considering putting the hobbyking one up for sale, and take a loss to buy the aokoda... which looks exactly what i need for my purposes
Sep 27, 2017, 10:37 AM
No Title
First thing I notice is how you look nothing like the mental image I had formed over the years. Like when you read the book, then see the movie. This will take some adjustment.

The charger looks good, if I was doing too much with 1s anymore I'd probably pick one up. I don't think there is anyone going to make some improvements to this but…

Speaking as the guy who recently hooked up a 3s and a 2s to a balance board, brief but spectacular, I'd like a little more old fashioned control and feedback.

I think per channel LEDs clearly showing which chemistry is expected and individual real switches, even a DIP bank or 0.1" jumper block would make this much less easy to mess up whilst using.

I read the manual and appreciate that it would take some talent to make such an error. Believe me when I modestly and abjectly cop to having such talent in large amounts.

I have taken to making checklists for many things, I don't think a month goes by in my later r/c efforts where I don't edit or add a checklist.

Also for this and any chargers, I wish they (they!) would use something other than the normal mating plug or jack, something mechanical like the old ZIF sockets used for IC programming. I find these connectors fiendishly difficult to hook and unhook, and it is an obvious point of wear and eventual degradation or failure. Again, I know no one will do this as it would be a fair increase in cost for a benefit that most wouldn't realize. The benefit of.

Lastly I'll say that to join the big boys who post lotsa videos you are going to have to learn how to squeeze stretch 5 minutes of material into at least half an hour.

crash7X
Sep 27, 2017, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Yeah I knew I should never have shown myself lol, I bet you thought I was a dashing English gent haha!
Not a huge fan of video reviews to be honest, I much prefer a written review but this charger needed to be shown working in order to see the display changing, I thought about just doing it without me in the picture afterwards but decided what the hey and posted it anyway...
As for stretching 5 minutes to 30 minutes I can do that if you really want!

If I make more video reviews they will defo be as short and to the point as I can make them, obviously some things need a lot more detail than this simple charger, but I think a short to the point video with a link to a detailed written review is much better.
I think the video blogs are a good place for long rambling talks and if I want to be entertained in that way I can watch those.

Anyway back to the charger ,
I don't think the sockets will wear out, I've had battery connectors wear out but the actual sockets don't seem to wear much if at all.
Dip switches would be more expensive I guess and switches fail so I am happy with this method of choosing HV or normal lipo, I don't use HV lipos anyway as I think they are a marketing hype rather than actual improved chemistry, the reports I've read suggest that HV lipos have relatively short life span if charged to 4.35v constantly, in the past prop!e have been charging normal lipos up to 4.35v with similar results, ie no problem but shortens the lifespan of the lipo.

Mainly the thing that could be done wrong for me would be charging too fast but I noticed that the start charge can be set at whatever you want by setting the charge rate and then a long press of the button and then wait for it to restart, then that charge rate is stored for when you power up each time, note that only one charge rate can be used for all ports at one time.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Sep 27, 2017 at 05:14 PM.
Sep 27, 2017, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
i confess i sometimes charge a single cell little 'un on the thunderpower for giggles when i want fast action

i'm considering putting the hobbyking one up for sale, and take a loss to buy the aokoda... which looks exactly what i need for my purposes
I once lent a 350mah 2s lipo to a mate and he had a while trying things out with it, when it came back he said "it charges fast, only took about 3 minutes!"
Turns out he had no idea how to change the charge rate on his charger and was charging at 3 amps!
Amazingly that battery is still working.( And his house is still standing lol ).
Sep 27, 2017, 08:23 PM
looking up, down under
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash7X
First thing I notice is how you look nothing like the mental image I had formed over the years. Like when you read the book, then see the movie. This will take some adjustment.

Speaking as the guy who recently hooked up a 3s and a 2s to a balance board, brief but spectacular, I'd like a little more old fashioned control and feedback.

i feel your pain - i absent mindedly added a 3s to a pair of 2s on the balancing board, and the balancing wires flamed in short order

pulled the banana plugs to the thunderpower, and the connector from the first power board in the daisy chain it requires, and i raced from the study to the thankfully conveniently placed back door and flung the whole incendiary mass into the back yard and stayed well away for a while

the room smelled like an industrial fire for hours, but at least the smoke alarm shut up fairly quickly

certainly made me more observant, although i am meticulous at measuring per cell resting voltages to match them before charging, on this occasion i had a senior moment and neglected to note how many cells on the lipo after reading the first cell in a battery i knew was at storage level, and not actually even noting the pin number on the balance plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Yeah I knew I should never have shown myself lol, I bet you thought I was a dashing English gent haha!
Not a huge fan of video reviews to be honest, I much prefer a written review but this charger needed to be shown working in order to see the display changing, I thought about just doing it without me in the picture afterwards but decided what the hey and posted it anyway...
i really like doing written reviews, but more due to being disinclined to trying to master video technique; i really enjoy making good images to append to my writing, which demonstrate detail or overall appearance

i'm already visible on line in my youtube persona as pacificwebsurfer, but in those videos i am generally simply flying things and not presenting details of the subject - it's purely illustration

although i do notice that the way to get inundated with review offers is definitely to go audiovisual; it's certainly doing the business for andrew newton (who does great reviews), but even low key me has had a few good toys sent my way, even if the g-rx8 was doa

the effort required to edit a "tight" video is too time consuming for my level of expertise, and i suspect i'm more a frustrated author than a frustrated producer

keep up the good work, nigel

edit : hk just mailed me about this 1s chager too :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/e6-batte...r-au-plug.html
Last edited by scruffy1; Sep 27, 2017 at 08:43 PM.
Sep 28, 2017, 02:06 AM
Thread OP
Nice save scruffy , that could have been so bad, I have used balance boards and y leads in the past and had similar problems and decided that I would only use individual batteries on each port from now on, for my bigger batteries I have the hk 4 port charger and a converted server PSU to supply it with enough amps and I charge at 2c which is fast enough for me.

As far as written Vs video review I guess it's horses for courses, obviously there is demand for video review ONCE you get a following, this one did not take long to make, no editing , I just made a mental note of what I needed to cover a and went for it, I may make another sometime but I will always make the written reviews too.
For me the advantage of written reviews are,
They can be written at leisure and edited quickly if mistakes are made and things need to be added or updated.
High Res pictures can be used.
They can be searched for specific words so enabling information needed to be found quickly.
They can be read a t a pace that the reader wants, skipping over some info and reading carefully other parts.

The advantages of a video review
Once you have everything set up it's probably quite fast to make because you just sit and talk about the gear.
It can be easily washed on a phone screen so maybe people will watch it as a bit of entertainment on the train etc?
Demonstrating the way things work is easy.

But if mistakes are made or updates are needed you have to either edit or start again ...
Getting lighting and camera setup right takes time as does uploading the video and doing descriptions and links etc etc...

I enjoy a challenge though so I will keep trying both, just hope to get a few more toys sent to test so I can have more practice lol!
Sep 28, 2017, 03:46 AM
looking up, down under
self propelling occupation, once the review items start to come your way

andrew n. has the advantage of a shed...
Nov 23, 2017, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
Just a quick note after a conversation with boldclash about the b03 pro battery , they told me it was actually a 300mah lipo even though it said 260 on the battery ...
So I did full discharge an charge test on my charger to check and yes it did just over 300mah, I now know why they b03 pro battery lasts longer than the normal b03 ones....
Anyway I updated first post to reflect that these are available as spares with and without this charger ... Seems a pretty good deal.
Nov 27, 2017, 03:09 AM
Thread OP
Boldclash are having a cyber Monday sale
https://goo.gl/BKHBZC
Nov 27, 2017, 03:52 AM
looking up, down under
i shouldn't check your links...

do they post for nix ?

edit : yes (i subscribed) :
Shipping Methods And Delivery Times
Ships from Chinese warehouse

Attainable countries, Free shipping (15-35 days) $0

and do i need the 615 motors as spares ?

and are their 3 blade props good on my h8 collection ? they look good
Nov 27, 2017, 03:57 AM
Thread OP
Postage was free last time I ordered, spare motors are always useful to have to hand....
3 bladed props are for the 0703 brushless motors , shaft sizes might be different so check specs carefully.
Jan 08, 2018, 07:03 PM
Great review, thank you!

Quick Reply