Feb 22, 2002, 10:10 AM
Thread OP

WLM Highlight 1.8m C of G?

Can anyone tell me the centre of gravity positon and control throws for the West London Models Highlight 1.8m polyhedral e-glider?

I think this is similar to the Carbon D-Light E 1.8 and Koleos-E 1.8 motor gliders from Icare and the NSP Omega 1.8. My glider has a sheet composite V tail, some of these similar models seem to have built-up tails.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Neil.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2002, 06:05 PM
Single-task at best...
Hi Neil,

I was a bit cheeky, and emailed ICARE for exactly the same infomation;

The CG is at 70mm from the leading-edge, and as for the throws they replied "as much as you can get!"

Mine also has the foamie v-tail modified to allow it's removal for transport. How have you set up the linkages, and what power system are you using?

In the last 6 weeks of appalling weather, I've only managed to get 2 flights in so far, but this model promises to be a real floater for the summer evenings.

tim
Feb 23, 2002, 09:27 AM
Thread OP
> The CG is at 70mm from the leading-edge, and as for the throws they replied "as much as you can get!"

Thank you very much.

> Mine also has the foamie v-tail modified to allow it's removal for transport. How have you set up the linkages, and what power system are you using?

Servos in tailboom under wing TE, 2mm unsupported carbon pushrods to the permanently fixed V tail. V tail covered in flourescent trim to add weight. I made the back end as heavy as poss, but I think I will still have to add tail weight.

The powertrain will be a Kontronik Fun 28 with a 4.4:1 gearbox and 14"x10" (from memory) prop. The battery will be 7 CP1700, P2000 or new TS1700AUP cells. Est AUW about 26oz.

I really like the servos in the V tail setup that Steve Mettam showed in the latest/first Q&EFI. I spent a long time considering various rear servo optons but didn't come up with anything workable. I may rip mine out and start again.

I intend to fly mine in BEFA Electroslot comps. I am not much of a glider guider, but mixing with commited comp fliers is always very interesting, and comps do give more of a buzz than straight sport flying.

> In the last 6 weeks of appalling weather, I've only managed to get 2 flights in so far, but this model promises to be a real floater for the summer evenings.

I haven't flown since before Christmas! What does yours weigh? What powertain? Mine might be a bit fast/heavy for the local park - though I suppose I could fly it with a smaller prop and lighter batteries for gentler flying.

Thanks again for your help,

Neil.
Feb 23, 2002, 11:58 AM
Single-task at best...
Neil,

Brushless? Are you entering F5B with it?

I've just seen the servo article in the all-new singin'n'dancin' QEFI, and can see the advantages. My own Highlight turned out surprisingly (to me at any rate) nose heavy, and I'm only using the E400 set up of 6v S400 motor, 4.5:1 Cosmo box, and 12x13 RASA prop. Even so the 7x600AE cellpack is shoved way back down the fuselage; take a look at the photo. I'm thinking that you may have a problem stuffing those big batteries in there; I had to resort to making the pack in a IIIIII- format.

AUW is around 22oz.

tim

Quick Reply