This thread is privately moderated by Deserteagle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 26, 2017, 10:29 PM
DumbThumbsFPV
Thread OP
Build Log

GEP Sparrow 139mm Frame build and review

I really liked the look of the GEP frames and thought I would try them out. Luckily GotHeliRC.com started to carry them so I bought the 139mm version from them. As usual the package came well packed and with fast shipping. The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was how nice the fit and finish was on the frame and the on the frame printing of the camera angles was a very nice touch.

At first I was going to put in a HGLRC XJB F428 TX20 ELF All-in-One TOWER but there wasn't one available in the US. I ended up talking GotHeliRC.com into carrying HGLRC products but they didn't have the small stack in when I did this build.

I ended up using components from previous builds plus a HGLRC F3 V3.1 that had been sitting on my bench for some time.

Components used:

• HGLRC AIO F3 3.1 FC\PCB\OSD
  • DYS 1306 4000kv motors
  • Racestar 20amp 4 in 1
  • TBS Unify Pro with old custom antenna directly soldered on
  • FRsky FrSky X4R-SB depinned
  • RunCam Swift Micro
  • Lumenier props 3040 props

Running the above components was going to be a very very tight build but I knew with some thought and persistence it could be done.

The first thing I noticed was the HGLRC AIO wasn't going to fit the frame with the battery leads in the back like I like it. I like to secure my battery leads to the frame with a zip tie instead of letting them hang off to the side by the solder pads alone. Because of this I had to redrill the back of the frame so the metal uprights would allow for more space. I used some small plastic washers on both sides of the uprights knurled standoff to compensate for the increased width. A 20x20 HGLRC tower would have fit perfect.

Because of this I also had to cut some custom carbon pieces for the back of the quad for the antenna tubes and VTX antenna. I also cut a piece for the LED strip and another piece so the Capacitor on the AIO FC could have some support.

I soft mounted the motors and FC\ESC stack and turned on dynamic filtering on in Betaflight while turning off my notch filters.

FLYING:
Once I got the GEP Sparrow tuned in, I can honestly say it flies very nice and has plenty of hang time (almost as much as a 5 inch) that allows for time to do nice rolls\power loops inverted yawing as so forth. I had a buddy of mine fly it and he was amazed at how this little bird flies. I'm getting about 5 minutes with plenty of punchouts on 850mah 3s batteries even though it's a little on the heavy side!! It's a fast and agile frame on 3s packs! I can't imaging what it would be like on 4s packs

RUGGED!
The frame is very rugged and sturdy. Even running it straight into a tree/picnic table and landing on it's top from 40 feet this frame not only did NOT take any damage but also protected the electronics inside. When I first seen the arms I didn't think it cold take the abuse I put my quads through but it does and does so well.

Bottom line:

I would highly recommend this frame for anyone including beginners. I know that GOTHeliRC.com is trying to put together a package deal that includes everything needed to build a very nice quad. With the HGLRC XJB F428 TX20 ELF with the included camera, not only would this build been so much easier but 15 grams lighter as well. If a person was to get this frame with EMAX 1306 4000kv motors, a HGLRC XJB F428 TX20 ELF with camera they could build this quad for under $200 with a FrSky receiver and 850mah 3s battery.

Plus if you shop with GOTHeliRC.com you would also get free fast shipping as well.

Enjoy the pictures and videos

GEPRC Sparrow 139mm build and review part 1 (10 min 20 sec)

GEPRC Sparrow 139mm build and review part 2 (9 min 20 sec)

GEPRC Sparrow 139mm build and review part 3 (9 min 19 sec)

GEPRC Sparrow 139mm Maiden flight (11 min 32 sec)
Last edited by Deserteagle; Sep 27, 2017 at 01:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2017, 08:06 AM
Just another user...
Nice build, DE!

I see you are getting 6 minutes on that 3S/850mAh pack. Amazing!
Sep 27, 2017, 11:44 AM
DumbThumbsFPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingrrcg
Nice build, DE!

I see you are getting 6 minutes on that 3S/850mAh pack. Amazing!
Thanks brother
You know I had some doubts about this frame at first but man am I happy with it! Now that I have the tune perfect it rolls and flips so predictable that it makes me look good And that's hard to do. The hang time is also shocking.
Last edited by Deserteagle; Sep 27, 2017 at 12:23 PM.
Sep 29, 2017, 04:32 AM
Nice build man! I'm building on the same frame currently. How necessary is the capacitor? I have the same 3s 850 lipos currently but I'm thinking of getting 4s 550 ones, how would you think those would handle?
Sep 29, 2017, 09:24 AM
DumbThumbsFPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeZ
Nice build man! I'm building on the same frame currently. How necessary is the capacitor? I have the same 3s 850 lipos currently but I'm thinking of getting 4s 550 ones, how would you think those would handle?
Thanks man
The capacitor is necessary for the HGLRC 3.1 and F3 V4 boards when running high KV motors. Depending on your build this frame on 4s will be insanely fast! I decided on this frame because I knew it would be tough for trying new things freestyle but never thought it would fly as well as it does so that's a bonus. Post a pic of yours when your done. I would like to see it.
Oct 03, 2017, 03:18 PM
Thinking about building a stretch version on 1407-4000kv motors for racing, but am wondering about durability.
Oct 03, 2017, 11:44 PM
DumbThumbsFPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconBits
Thinking about building a stretch version on 1407-4000kv motors for racing, but am wondering about durability.
The version I have is the 139mm with a 1 piece bottom plate and I can tell you it's durable!! I've smashed it hard about a dozen times and not even a scratch on it. The 145mm has a jigsaw bottom plate held together with what looks like two plates so I can't imagine what it would take to break that especially at the little bit of weight we are running with these. Very happy with mine even though I didn't build it with the latest stuff from this year. Really easy to fly. I could've save 20 grams of weight if I went with the HGLRC F428-TX20-ELF package,a lighter weight antenna and RX.
Dec 20, 2017, 07:31 PM
Aalesund, Norway
I built a Sparrow with the F428 package, It flies great !
BUT...after about 10 batteries I flew into a palm tree at about 30-40% power and it broke an arm..!
I can also see some delamination on other parts, Not good at all,
Not sure if I will replace the frame or go with another one.
Dec 20, 2017, 07:47 PM
DumbThumbsFPV
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggad
I built a Sparrow with the F428 package, It flies great !
BUT...after about 10 batteries I flew into a palm tree at about 30-40% power and it broke an arm..!
I can also see some delamination on other parts, Not good at all,
Not sure if I will replace the frame or go with another one.
Wow, I've crashed mine into... pretty much everything maybe they had an issue with their carbon as of late /shrug. I would maybe try the Neato pipsqueak... lifetime warranty on the frame.

Quick Reply