Moving to the Tooele area.... - RC Groups
Sep 26, 2017, 11:10 PM
Discussion

Moving to the Tooele area....

I will be moving to the Tooele area in the very near future for work and was looking for information about where people fly sailplanes in the area. So looking for locations for Thermal (F3k/F3j), Slope, and DS. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2017, 11:38 PM
Mike M.
Hey Jeff,

We have a good active group of F3K junkies here along the Wasatch front, and would love to have you join in. Just watch our thread (HERE).
Sep 27, 2017, 11:44 AM
Hi Jeff,

There are some great flying sites, and one will be fairly close to where you live. Grantsville is just to the west of Tooele and there is a salt flat that we Fly AeroTow and winch launch at. The next Aerotow there is scheduled for the 21st of October. For Slope there is Point of the Mountain State flight park at the south end of the Salt Lake Valley, the western side of the south slope is the RC flying spot. Keep in mind that there are Paragliders and Handgliders flying there as well so please be careful. Your best bet there is to look to fly after 10:00 am when the wind and the thermals pick up and the Paragliders stop flying. The North side of POM if flyable as well but there will be a lot of HG and PG's there and most of the time we dont bother since it is so crowded. On the bench above the North side of POM is a DS spot which is quite fun but a real hike to get to, there is also a DS site out in Eagle, but I have never been.

Here is the thread for the Point.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...f-the-Mountain

The club that does the Aerotows is the Intermountain Silent Flyers, our next meeting is 10/17 at the Salt lake county building. We have an ALES contest on the calendar on the 7th of October but the location is TBD.

As like.2.fly mentioned there is a great F3K scene as well.

Hope to see you soon.

Matt
Last edited by Jugdriver; Sep 28, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Sep 27, 2017, 12:55 PM
Hi Jeff
I live in Tooele and have a big retaining pond behind my house that's good to fly 2meter and electrics and hand launch
Look me up when you get hear I'm also in the IMSF glider club and can help show you the sites
Steven Reed
973 N 340 W
Tooele UT
801-906-3154
Sep 27, 2017, 10:22 PM
Well wlecome to tooele will have to meet up when you have a chance to fly.
Oct 01, 2017, 03:17 PM
Thanks guys for all the information! Hope to fly with you all soon.

Quick Reply