Interesting "1/2A" CL Stunter w Flaps on OZ - RC Groups
Sep 26, 2017, 10:53 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
Discussion

Interesting "1/2A" CL Stunter w Flaps on OZ

While performing myriad searches to figure out what plane it was I had in hand, I came across this "1/2A" Stunter on OZ.
(Thank you, Kiwi, for solving the mystery of the unknown plane.)
At 36" WS I would think this would be at least .09 and probably .15-.19.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2017, 11:27 PM
.09 is classed as 1/2A in Australia and the UK for team racers.
Sep 27, 2017, 05:07 AM
Prior to being Golden State Models, the company was owned by A&J Freeflight. A&J did a remarkable job of replicating some of the Sterling kits. They provided machine cut wood either routed or bandsaw which was quite light as well. Golden State models was then purchased by Walter Umland and then finally and to this day John Brodak. There was another 1/2A the same size which was known as the Stork. The Stork was on print wood just like the older Comet kits. John Brodak offers it with laser cutting today. The Stork has tips a bit different from this Spitfire and it's span which is a claimed 33" is acutally slightly wider. These planes do indeed have enough squares to be considered larger than 1/2A planes but they're not and they fly very nicely with even a Tee Dee. A Norvel .061 works even better.
Sep 27, 2017, 05:33 AM
Great info from both of you, and some really interesting history I was not aware of. I'd like to give this plan a go sometime, but how to fit into a list of 99 unstarted projects...
I've been intrigued by the 1/2A Mirage, as well - looks like a potential performer and I was always surprised it was designed for 1/2A, at that wingspan.
Sep 27, 2017, 05:36 AM
<repeat>
Sep 27, 2017, 07:26 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Oriental. Having owned nearly 6 of them, they just worked excellent for me. The Pinto which is kitted by RSM Distribution offers it.This is a 1/2A version of the .35 size plane. The Pinto was designed for TD power and it has a reasonable wingspan as well. One of my club members Philly Skip recently built one and WOW what a neat plane in the air. Skip did a beautiful job in finishing the plane and it flies very well. It really is shocking to see a full fuse plane with a considerable wingspan just chugging away.

I certainly like the look of the Mirage. If you noticed, the designated engine is the Cox Medallion .049. Not as powerful as the TD but it apparently seemed to get the job done on the plane. Very cool stuff, I love the small ones. Ken
Sep 29, 2017, 06:34 AM
@ 36inch span , be 15-19 sized motors .
Would require a very strong 09 to pull it around ...
Sep 29, 2017, 08:49 AM
It's almost universal to relate a model engine size to an appropriate model's span. Everybody been doing it for years, right?

However it's also blatantly false and or misleading. Just as false in the world of full size aircraft.

I grew up building Scientific kits, etc. and they pretty much had me thinking an 18" model HAS to have an .049 engine. Later, when I built/flew a Goldberg Lil'l Satan, I realized that that same .04p (Cox of course) could fly a much larger although similarly built airframe, with relative ease. . It began to dawn on me that power to weight and wing loading are what determines proper engine size for a given performance level . It holds true for RC, FF and CL and ...hey! What do you know? Full size aircraft, too.

A healthy Tee Dee .o9 in that Spit,( built with an eye toward proper wood selection, light hardware, wheels etc.) would be a pretty lively proposition!
Sep 29, 2017, 08:48 PM

Yep !

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
It's almost universal to relate a model engine size to an appropriate model's span. Everybody been doing it for years, right?

However it's also blatantly false and or misleading. Just as false in the world of full size aircraft.

I grew up building Scientific kits, etc. and they pretty much had me thinking an 18" model HAS to have an .049 engine. Later, when I built/flew a Goldberg Lil'l Satan, I realized that that same .04p (Cox of course) could fly a much larger although similarly built airframe, with relative ease. . It began to dawn on me that power to weight and wing loading are what determines proper engine size for a given performance level . It holds true for RC, FF and CL and ...hey! What do you know? Full size aircraft, too.

A healthy Tee Dee .o9 in that Spit,( built with an eye toward proper wood selection, light hardware, wheels etc.) would be a pretty lively proposition!
There is the trick ...
Another consideration is line length .. Most of your energy will go into dragging those control lines through the air ..
Also line thickness ..
And if building from plans - the skill of the individual + What materials are available ?
How hard is it to get good wood these days ?
I remember 20 years ago we had a situation where good wood was hard to find . Buying bulk packs became risky because so much bad wood was thrown in to make the bulk pack . Are things better now ? ( I still have balsa from 30 years ago )
Oct 26, 2017, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit

Agreed, I've successfully flown a Sig Ackromaster and a TF Flite Streak both on Enya .09s with an 8X4. If the model is made light, it will work.
Oct 26, 2017, 01:50 PM
Old Timer

Relics of a long-dtstant past

When CL was new, and kit manufacturing in massive numbers first began, model engine power and quality were comparatively low. The O&R 19s of 1949 were less powerful than modern 049 glow engines, and extremely fragile, as well. A 1952 design, such as the Ringmaster, Junior, could claim to be designed to fly with 09s to 19s, and be underpowered with the earlier 09s. That same plane is imminently flyable with an 049 these days.

Within the space of a year, K&B released their first glow 19, with three or four times as much power as the O&R 19 offered, and a gross overkill for a 30" by 190 square inch CL model. Twenty-five years after that, Schneurle ported 20s/21s doubled the power output of that 1952 engine.

The OK Cub 049s and Anderson Spitzy 045s were really the engines that Scientific's many flying logs were actually intended for, and Babe Bee engines mostly offered somewhat more flying by being easier to get running, although also somewhat more powerful. Compared them to a Spitzy, the Atwood Wasp, a Cox Space Bug, or a Holland Hornet (all 049s) were like night and day, those were that much more competitive.

Somewhere above 36" span, keeping a CL model light enough for even a Cox Tee Dee 049 becomes a case of becoming too flimsy to handle, so a 40" size Flight Streak needs at least a .15 size modern engine, with the exception of various F2D and Racing 15s. Back even as far as 1959, Top Flite and George Aldrich were already selling a 24" span Baby Flite Streak, and the 30" span Junior Streak was a decent match to a competition 09 glow engine. I wouldn't hesitate to put a competition grade 049 on one of those today.

Kiwi