Dynam Stinson Voyager - RC Groups
Sep 26, 2017, 04:08 PM
Build Log

Dynam Stinson Voyager

I have a Dynam Stinson Voyager park flyer. Right off the top of my head, I think the span is fifty something inches.

The "manual" is just a little better than toilet paper so I need a little help with the wing struts to fuselage attachment. The location was cropped out of the photo and the instructions give the forward strut location as just behind the landing gear. The fuse has no screw blocks for the struts to attach to.

I thought I would ask how other builders resolved this before I try to add some blocks.
Last edited by PC Pilot; Oct 09, 2017 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2017, 08:36 PM
Your best bet would be to attach the wing & place the struts on the wing location & see where the lower struts touch the fuse. The Stinson pics look like the struts attach to the LG or the fuse where the LG attaches.

Denny
Sep 26, 2017, 11:29 PM
DFS#000178
Dynam made a Stinson Voyager?

Got any pictures of it?
Sep 27, 2017, 08:35 PM
There are tiny prepunched holes in the wings to show the strut attachment points. Attaching the struts to the wing first places the other end on the fuse just behind the gear. From the gear aft, there are two stringers but nothing to put screws in. I assume the blocks were forgotten during planning or production of this kit.

Here is a photo, from the net, and I will try to photograph the offending section, of the model, tomorrow.
Oct 09, 2017, 09:32 PM
I decided that making longer struts would be easier than blind fitting screw blocks inside the fuse. Besides, I like building better than flying.

Trying to move the original struts to the plywood around the battery hatch caused the wing screws to miss their mounting blocks. Going the other way put the fuse screw on unsupported covering.

My miniature table saw cuts a slot that is to wide for the CA hinges so I made a fixture to help me center a Zona saw on the strut parts. The hinges are a bit loose but I'm sure the adhesives will take care of that.

Here are some photos to show how I did it.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:20 AM
DFS#000178
Oh, this is the Pilot 1 Voyager, not Dynam.

I had an issue with the struts too but I just attached them to the wings at the indicated hardpoints. There were no hardpoints on the fuselage, so I made a couple with small pieces of ply from mixing sticks and just used those as the hardpoints, reinforced with a bit of thin CA.

They're really just cosmetic so they don't have to be load-bearing.
Oct 10, 2017, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the correction.
Last edited by PC Pilot; Oct 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM.
Oct 19, 2017, 06:41 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Wow for a second Ithought this was a kit build but its an ARF .
Amazing the differnace between the same planes different suppliers.
The Phoneix brand sold and owned by Tower has all of these elements done for you.
I removed the wheel pants from mine and added cub wheels because the pants were a pain on grass.
Aslo stepped up to a 6 cell /60 size motor because I typically have more 6 cell packs
Oct 19, 2017, 06:52 PM
DFS#000178
Here's mine. Same model the OP is discussing.

Some things to look out for.

1) The covering sucks. It softens, wrinkles and sags badly in even mild temperatures.

2) The landing gear fairings don't mate to the fuselage at all. You have to modify and cut them to get them to fit. Ontop of that they're exceptionally flimsy so you may crack them if you aren't careful.

3) The landing gear is very soft and is prone to breaking. Not the wood mounts, the landing gear itself. Grease her in whenever possible.

Mine actually came with some of the worst warping I've ever had on an ARF. The rudder and the elevator halves were terribly warped. I actually ended up doing the 2 elevator servo option just because the elevator halves were so warped that they wouldn't line up with the metal joiner. The only way I could get them to sit flush was with two elevator servos.

To be honest, it was probably the worst ARF I've ever assembled. It's a great-looking, great-flying plane when it's done but 4/10 would not buy another from that manufacturer.
Oct 25, 2017, 07:32 PM
I decided I was over engineering the strut problem. I made longer strut ends for the original struts. The parts were placed on the airplane and the hinges were tack glued. Removed the works and added more CA and trimmed as needed. The fuse end screws into the plywood around the battery hatch and the wing ends use the original screw holes.
Last edited by PC Pilot; Nov 06, 2017 at 12:54 PM.
Oct 28, 2017, 07:36 PM
Rampage, Is that a Cadet or Seniorita in your photo?
Last edited by PC Pilot; Nov 06, 2017 at 12:51 PM.
Oct 30, 2017, 01:01 AM
DFS#000178
It's a Kadet Seniorita. It's actually a "Super Margarita" which was the SIG ARF sold by HobbyKing and Nitro Planes. Same ARF.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:45 PM
Ahhh... brings back fond memories. I learned to fly with a Seniorita in 1985.
Oct 30, 2017, 07:47 PM
DFS#000178
It's one of my favorite planes. So much so that I just bought another one. Because you can never have too many big floaty trainers.

I actually fly it in wind conditions that guys won't put 60-size fully-sheeted nitro warbirds up in.