Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Redcat Racing Everest Gen7

The new Everest Gen7 from Redcat Racing is a great performing sport-scale crawler for under $200.

Redcat Racing Everest Gen7

Steel Ladder Frame and Licensed Swamper Tires

The much anticipated Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 is a great performing crawler for anyone on a budget. Coming in under $200, the Everest Gen7 is fully ready to run with a 2.4GHz transmitter, a 7.2v 2000mAh NiMh battery and wall charger, a Hobbywing esc and Redcat Racing 550 brushed motor.

Here's what Tower Hobbies says about it: We want to climb ever higher, and we know you do to. That's why Redcat Racing is bringing you the Everest Gen7. It not only has the power and traction to get you to the peak, but the looks to make it standout once you get there. Itís built with the precision, care, and high quality components that make every Redcat product a masterpiece, and it comes with the gear you need to start your climb right out of the box. Don't settle for less than the summit, get the Everest Gen7 and take it to the top.

CLICK HERE for more information on the new Redcat Racing Everest Gen7 crawler.

Features and Specs:

• Chassis: Powder coated 0.12" (3mm) steel ladder with black finish multiple suspension configurations
  • Radio: 2.4GHz RCR-2C with dual rate steering, throttle & steering trim and reverse
  • Motor: 550 brush equipped with 18T pinion gear
  • ESC: Brushed crawler type with three drag brake modes, waterproof and LiPo ready, 40A 6V 3A BEC
  • Battery: 7.2V 2000mAh NiMH
  • Shocks: Aluminum capped oil-filled
  • Body: Trimmed and painted, hinged at the rear
  • Tires: Licensed Interco Super Swamper with foam inserts
  • Wheels: Scale 1.9" (48mm) with functional steel beadlocks, 1.8"
  • (45mm) wide, 4.5" (115mm) diameter
  • Bumpers: Black in color
  • Length: 20.5" (521mm)
  • Width: 9.5" (241mm)
  • Height: 9" (230mm)
  • Wheelbase 12.3 - 12.6" (312 - 320mm)
  • Weight: 5.1lbs (2313g)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Sep 26, 2017 at 02:54 PM..
Sep 26, 2017, 09:20 PM
Are the Diffs locked or open?
Sep 27, 2017, 08:51 AM
The diffs are locked. There's still some confusion related to the differences in lockers between the Sport model and the Pro. The manual shows the Sport ring gear as the "18009", which is the same part number that people buy as a locker upgrade for the Everest 10 plastic locker/ring gear assembly, yet the parts list still shows the plastic housing that would hold the plastic/metal locker inside. What the Sport actually comes with is still a bit of a mystery, but as soon as mine gets here I plan to open it up to find out.

The Pro comes with "180009", which appears to be a 1 piece ring gear & locker.
Sep 27, 2017, 03:25 PM
From the pics I can find of the axle case and diffs, it's probably the same E10 internals. The 180009 is the aluminum upgrade for the E10. They just put straight tubes (and probably solid driveshafts) on the rear, used different upper pumpkin braces, and adjusted/removed certain mount points.

It looks interesting, but not $300 or $379 interesting. I can't see them doing well unless their street price is much lower than retail like their E10 and RS10.
Sep 27, 2017, 03:27 PM
RCGroups Editor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon82
From the pics I can find of the axle case and diffs, it's probably the same E10 internals. The 180009 is the aluminum upgrade for the E10. They just put straight tubes (and probably solid driveshafts) on the rear, used different upper pumpkin braces, and adjusted/removed certain mount points.

It looks interesting, but not $300 or $379 interesting. I can't see them doing well unless their street price is much lower than retail like their E10 and RS10.
Its $199
Sep 29, 2017, 01:49 PM
Yup, the Sport is $200 and the Pro is $280.

Redcat's latest propaganda indicates that the Sport's lockers are plastic, which frustrates me. Even at $200, if you're going to give me sticky tires and a 550 can, give me a metal locker! By the time I upgrade to metal lockers and CVAs, I'm likely to be approaching the cost of the Pro.
Oct 02, 2017, 05:12 PM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Decent price, have to see some reviews after it comes out.
Oct 03, 2017, 11:45 PM
This thing looks awesome if nothing else
Oct 06, 2017, 12:27 PM
Plane on the Brain
Our local group got a few dozen delivered last night.I'm picking up my black Pro tonight. Most commented on the good looks in person
Oct 08, 2017, 06:54 PM
Plane on the Brain
This needs a different servo horn since the steering radius is poor, as in original scx10 poor. I am using an ECX servo saver for the time being and it is better as the ball links clear the servo body. Then I trimmed 2mm of that useless section from the knuckles. I also moved the ESC down to the side to lower cg - but I don't crawl in mud.

The tire up top weighs almost 5 oz so I'm replacing that with a mountain bike or something
Oct 08, 2017, 08:22 PM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Looks good, how does it run?
Oct 09, 2017, 07:28 AM
If anyone has one of these and a SCX10 with the Cherokee body, does the Cherokee body fit on the Gen7?
Oct 09, 2017, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Yup, the Sport is $200 and the Pro is $280.

Redcat's latest propaganda indicates that the Sport's lockers are plastic, which frustrates me. Even at $200, if you're going to give me sticky tires and a 550 can, give me a metal locker! By the time I upgrade to metal lockers and CVAs, I'm likely to be approaching the cost of the Pro.
So the pro has metal lockers? That's still not a lot of money for most of us adults here. $200 $280. Really the same money.
Oct 10, 2017, 12:48 PM
Yes, the Pro comes with metal lockers.
Oct 20, 2017, 03:23 AM
I posted this on a FB group and thought I'd share it here too:

The RedCat Gen 7:
I bought the new Gen7 pro version this past week from a local dealer. My son and I took it to Crawl 4 the Cure up in the mountains yesterday, tried it out and I thought I'd share some thoughts in here on it.

a little bit of my background: I got into R/C's in 1985. I raced for many years in the 80's and 90's and got into crawlers around 2012. I've built and worked on fullsize comp crawlers and carried over a lot of that knowledge into r/c crawling and building.

The Rig:
The Gen7 is not groundbreaking. centrally mounted motor and transmission, axle mounted servo, about average steering. If you're expecting something unique or high performance, this isn't the rig for you, out of the box.

Having said that, I was impressed with this truck. At a $300 price point RTR, I really expected the older style Exceed/Redcat/Maverick quality build and plastics, but the plastics are very flexible where they need to be, especially for beginners or lower level hobbyists that aren't into rebuilding their rig all the time. frame rails are the same width as axial, so all the aftermarket bumpers fit (I checked with Donnie from Bentmetal, and it all crosses over. He told me 70mm width).

The truck is top heavy due to the body and accessories that come on the pro, but less so than the Traxxas from what I saw running our gen7 on the same obstacles as the TRX-4. The BPC chassis balances the rig out well and the forward/mid mount battery helps that out a lot. the tilt up body is convenient, but we pulled the velcro loose that holds the front of the body several times while hitting obstacles.

The aluminum threaded shocks worked very well, They're a little stiff for harder trail runs like we took it on, but with the weight of the body and accessories they needed to be. There's not a lot of travel, but it has a high breakover angle that makes up for it.

The tires worked really well, especially for an RTR. The foams, not so much. by the end of the 200 gates we hit with our Gen7, the foams had broken down so much that one of the rears had twisted inside the tire, and it barely felt like there was anything in there.

Nothing broke. we rolled about 30 feet down some rocks, submerged it, bound up the axles with full throttle and no slipper, and the CVD's held up.

What would I change? The front links had no vertical separation between upper and lower mounts on the chassis, so I changed them to uppers that were 80% of the lowers and mounted them up higher. I'm going to keep the stock swampers for now, but run Pro-Line 2stage foams. The electroncs tray is above the transmission, so it will get moved lower and further back on the chassis. It will also get a chassis mounted servo. I'm also going to end up changing the body and bumpers to something that isn't going to hang up so much.

Overall, for first timers, or guys that want something different, I'd have no problem suggesting this to someone, especially since so much of the axial/vanquish aftermarket crosses over, and I spoke with Bruce who said BPC will be supporting this platform with aftermarket parts, starting with stainless lock rings next month.