Reno MultiGP National Championship - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Reno MultiGP National Championship

RCGroups member Kevin Turner had been sending me updates from the Reno FPV Championship and I thought it might be a great article. Read on to learn more!

Splash

From Kevin Turner

Howdy from Tennessee! We recently attended a really fun event at the Reno Air Races which was hosted by MultiGP ( www.multigp.com) . For those that have not tried "drone " racing i would encourage you to give it a try. MultiGP is a grass roots organization that has been involved in creating a nationwide network of race chapters with some global involvement as well. Currently MultiGP has over 20,000 registered members and growing!! Chances are there is a chapter near you to let you try racing your quad!

MultiGP - 2017 Drone Racing Championship - SAT Serious60 (2 hr 38 min 2 sec)

Our year started by doing a few races with our local chapter in Knoxville Tennessee. We then went to the Joe Nall fly in at Triple Tree and my son participated in the drone race near the heli flight line. It was great fun and we heard about a nationwide series of racing culminating in a national championship in Reno at the Reno air races. To get there we had to do well at a regional qualifier race and then do well at a regional four state final in order to qualify for the national championship. I became a pit mechanic and my son did well racing. Practices occurred at a great location outside Nashville known as "Bumpy's Place" helped a great deal. We qualified and attended the national championships at Reno and it was an awesome experience. Evan Turner (Headsupfpv), Alex Campbell (chief), Aaron Bigger (Bumpyfpv) , and Blake Sams (Nubb) were all Tennessee pilots that qualified to go to the nationals in Reno after doing well at the four state regional final in Peachtree City Georgia.

Photos

A new feature for the national championship was the addition of launch stands that enabled pilots to actually tilt their quads up on the front two arms and launch at full speed as soon as the start tone was activated. These were designed and built by www.prolaunchfpv.com and were very popular. Several days of racing narrowed the three main qualifying groups down to a final 16 pilots with Bumpy, Headsupfpv, and Chief all making the top 16. The location was epic as we were racing quads in a huge netted enclosure on an active airport during an awesome full scale air race going on at the same time!! I don't think anything like this has ever been achieved.

Several large military aircraft were there for demonstrations and static display. my favorites were the A-10 Warthog and the harrier jet. The netted enclosure was tricky for staff to setup due to winds initially but they persevered and ended up with an awesome highly technical course that included a protected spectator tunnel that extended into the course itself with Fatshark providing headsets for spectators to see the FPV view of pilot video feeds as well as simulators.

MultiGP - 2017 Drone Racing Championship - SAT Fast56 (3 hr 44 min 1 sec)

Several attendees took short trips after racing to go over to Lake Tahoe and enjoy the beauty of this natural wonder. The final day of racing was exciting with several close battles and the final heats had the crowds cheering for their favorite pilots. National champion this year was Alex Vanover (Captainvanover) with Gil Coronado (32bitsofgil) coming in a close second. the 25,000 dollar prize purse......that's right 25,000 ... dollars...... was divided among the top 12 finishers with first getting 10,000 dollars.

Sounds like plans are in the works to possibly have the national championship at Reno again next year so start practicing now for the MultiGP road to reno!

Photo credits -Justin Woodcock, Danny Chan, and Trace Vangorden

MultiGP News 2017 National Championships (1 min 1 sec)

Sep 26, 2017, 05:04 PM
whoops small correction. bumpyfpv did not make it to the final 16 but nubb did !