Suggestions to fix vertical stabilizer - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 26, 2017, 08:04 AM
Discussion

Suggestions to fix vertical stabilizer

Hi,

I have a broken vertical stabilizer (Unfortunatly happend on ground ) see the pictures, any suggestion for how to fix it.

Thank you
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2017, 01:29 PM
30 min. epoxy, if more gluing surface/strength is needed, I'd try some hardwood pins in addition to the epoxy, otherwise I'd clean out the notch in the fuse and re-build the lower portion of the vert. stab. and epoxy it back in
Sep 26, 2017, 03:24 PM
Thank you bhady, do you think that using epoxy will be strong enough? in my city we don't have balsa available, and I don't want to make the plane tail heavy with the standard wood
Sep 26, 2017, 09:41 PM
Epoxy is stronger than balsa, it will be as good as new. That said, the structural design in that area is rather stupid and weak. I'd extend the fin leading edge and vertical member and attach them to the top surface of the horizontal stabilizer, but that would be major surgery. A compromise would be to add some triangular balsa stock at the corners between fuselage and fin.

Do check the fuselage structure first, there might be cracks below the fin seating area. Thin cyanoacrylate glue can be used to fix these. Also, in the second picture, I think I see a crack on the horizontal stabiliser leading edge near the fuselage left side (crinckled/torn covering).

Be careful to not add any more weight than absolutely necessary to the tail of the plane and check the balance when you are done. Adding some nose weight to compensate for the repairs might be necessary.