Sep 26, 2017, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Taranis x9d plus loss of signal

Hi all,

I have faced an issue with one of my receivers /Transmitters (X8R with the antennas / X9d plus).

I am using them for my helicopter and I had three (3) incidents with lost signal (helicopter went into safe mode) and the two (2) of them resulted on a crash. At the beginning I thought it was the speed controller (since I had no warnings of lost signal or telemetry from my Taranis) thus I changed the speed controller. Following a new speed controller and a new custom setting of safe mode, I am now 100% positive that the issue arose from a lost signal and a very late recovery of it.

All of the three (3) incidents have occurred on my second battery of flying and at a small range (10-40 meters) where I was starting having confident that nothing was wrong.
I am starting thinking that it might be an issue of:
a) the transmitter - X9d (I am not sure why it blinks after a while) or
b) the X8R (thermal issue? - it happens when it starts getting warm?) or
c) a combination of the two together.

I have another receiver (X6R - with no antennas) using with my Taranis, that I have no issue with (placed on an airplane though thus I cannot be 100% if there was a blink and a fast recovery, however, it seems that with the X6R the Taranis works with no issues).

Is there a known issue? I am running version 2.1.6 of firmware and although the obvious answer of all would be to update it to a newest version, I want to be 100% sure that by updating it I would resolve the issue (no signal loss in the future).

I am starting losing confident with my Taranis and all of my fellow - helicopter - co-pilots say to buy something more reliable for my Helicopters which are more expensive machines. They have a point in there, since Taranis has so much configuration going on that an update to a version resolving an issue might bring another issue on the surface.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2017, 08:07 AM
Updating FW will not affect range or reception. Do a good range check with different receivers to determine if it's a bad receiver or your transmitter. Antenna placement on a heli can be an issue.
Sep 26, 2017, 08:55 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
There was a batch of X8R's a while back that generated a high number of range issues.

Also the X8R's paddle-blade antenna's are known to be more sensitive to orientation than whisker antennas. On a heli, I'd suggest replacing the paddle antenna's with whiskers (they are user-replaceable and new antenna's are available from any frSky dealer)

Also heli's have a lot of potential sources of antenna shading. If you have a CF frame, be sure it's not shading your antennas.
Sep 26, 2017, 10:54 AM
Thread OP
My X8R is with whisker antennas, and I have placed them almost at 45 degrees on the bottom of my heli (one in front and the other one on the rears) where there is plastic and not carbon frame.

Whisker antennas are difficult to place them at exact 90 degrees as there are quite long for a 380 size heli.

I will do a good range check this weekend, although if there was a range issue my Taranis would have made a warning somehow ('signal is critical', 'telemetry lost' etc.)
Sep 26, 2017, 11:10 AM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by glilis
. . .

Whisker antennas are difficult to place them at exact 90 degrees as there are quite long for a 380 size heli.

. . .
The active part of the antenna is only the last 30mm which is stripped from the insulation and shielding. Those ends need to be at 90 to each other. The orientation of the coax leading to the ends does not matter.

Ivan
Sep 26, 2017, 11:43 AM
Upgrading OpenTX will have no effect on the problem you describe although you may want to consider upgrading to the official OpenTX 2.1.9 rather than use the imo somewhat suspect FrSky version just because...

Upgrading the receiver firmware might have an effect. There is a known issue with the X8R/X6R receiver firmware which possibly might cover your circumstance although the change was supposedly made in reaction to reports of EMF interference from noisy ignitions and ESCs...The update for the X6R and X8R is the same. Make sure to choose correctly between EU and NON EU firmware. If you are not in Europe then you almost certainly want NON EU

https://www.frsky-rc.com/x6r/ 2017-03-07 170210
https://www.frsky-rc.com/x8r/ 2017-03-07 170210

You should make sure all the other potential issues are addressed also. Quite possibly there is more than one cause.

You say you replaced the ESC...It's unclear to me how you concluded that did not fix the problem.

What do you mean by the X9D+ "blinks after a while"?
Sep 26, 2017, 12:02 PM
Regexistentialist

Brownouts?

What BEC and servos? Can the BEC keep up with the demands of the servos? It is not uncommon for one or more bum servo to draw more current than the BEC can provide which results in the Rx voltage dropping out - i.e. a brownout - the result is loss of signal link.
Do you have a LOG file with the RxBat being recorded? I'd be sure to look there.
Sep 26, 2017, 01:05 PM
RSSI should tell you how good a signal the receiver is getting. It should start warning you when RSSI gets marginal. If no warning, then it's likely that your receiver cut out due to something other than poor received signal.
Sep 26, 2017, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
ESC was not an issue. I had a tiny change on the custom safe mode that it gave me the evidence that it was a signal loss activating the safe mode. Power and Bec (HW 100A) configured according to micro beast-x plus for s-bus configurations. I have not sign of servo burn (kst ds215mg).
Sep 26, 2017, 03:59 PM
Thread OP
I start to think if it was a bad batch of X8R issue. I just showed that I have bought 2 Χ8R from Bangood on the same day (I checked the order date and it was 3rd of May). The other receiver, I through it away since one of the two antennas had no signal and was providing a total range of less than 30 meters. I checked the cables with the antennas by replasing the one with the other and I realised that the issue was to one of the two ports and not on the cables/antennas and that's why I through it away (I haven't thought of making a video then). The port was tested by moving very close the antenna of the taranis. The good antenna loose the telemetry signal but when I moved it close to the bad antenna nothing happened. I changed antennas and rechecked so I concluded on the bad port.
Sep 26, 2017, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
Total range of the other receiver was tested on the open field. I should have made the video and ask for a replacement then .... My current problem is a lot more complicated and I was advice to test it on my foamy airplane first and see if I loose any signal on this one!!!!
Oct 29, 2017, 07:25 AM
"My grandma wants to fly jets"

Similar problem?

My taranis lost contact with my X4R receiver(s) last weekend - thankfully I wasn't flying a plane but rather R/C sailboat racing. My Tx battery was strong at 7.9v and the Rx life battery at 6.4v. I'd been sailing for about 45 mins and we were just starting the 3rd race, and I lost contact w/ my boat which was about 10' from me. After about 30 seconds, it came back on for about 10 seconds, and lost contact for good. I was eventually able to get the boat to shore to test. I pulled out a back-up receiver, and I could not get that to bind. I tried to rebind the original receiver and nothing. After about 25 mins of trouble shooting I just gave up. So this weekend I tested the Taranis with another boat/receiver, and it worked fine. So I went back to the boat from last weekend, and it is now working.

Since I couldn't get either Rx to work last weekend, it makes me think it was the Tx. I'm glad I wasn't flying a plane or heli like glilis, but it still frustrating since I had traveled 2 hours for this regatta... and it was the last event of a year long series.

Charlie
Oct 29, 2017, 02:42 PM
most exalted one
Completely original? No mods? How old? Dropped? Pristine condition?????
Feb 19, 2018, 11:47 AM

Similar issue, lost 2 F3K gliders in a week

I am having similar issues. I picked up my X9D in September 2017. 2 weeks ago I was practicing for a contest and experienced a loss of control on my last launch, the plane (stream) remained in launch mode and looped at high speed until it hit the ground. Fortunately just lost the vertical stab and flaps ripped out, and was able to repair. I had no control yet the transmitter was on, showing telemetry and seemed normal. I turned the model off and then back on, nothing, cycled the controller and tadaa, I again had control. I had it stuck in my head it had to be the model and verified all of the wiring and connections. No findings. The contest weekend I pulled my contest model out (CX4) and on my second throw, first full power it again locked in launch mode, this time at arm height and the second loop was a high speed vertical hit to the ground, destroyed. Again, no control, and this time blank screen power button on. I went through several motions with the TX to see if I could get it to fail again, no luck, so I decided to continue with another glider (stream) for the contest. Experienced a loss of control during the contest, heard the TX welcome me to open TX and I was able to recover. Not a good feeling. Next day, again practicing I experienced no issues and became complacent, until I lost control again high in a thermal (520ish feet by last altimeter read) when the model rolled inverted and continued circling. No control again, and when I looked at my transmitter is was again blank screen and power on. I cycled the power slider, relocated the plane and I began piloting for its orientation, now a dive until I regained control. I managed to recover the dive but not above tree line so I dumped full flaps and crossed my fingers. Buckled the wing I no longer trust this transmitter, but I have not heard of many folks having these kind of issues, I will update on what frSky finds. X4R and X6R receivers
Feb 19, 2018, 02:51 PM
That sounds like a transmitter problem for sure the screen goes blank and it reboots. Could be a flaky power switch or connector somewhere. I wouldn't use it until you find out what is causing that. Even if you send it back I am not sure I would trust it since the failure is so intermittent.
Try to make it fail with the plane on your bench. Try wiggling things and lightly shaking the Tx.

Quick Reply