What do people dislike about Rc Helicopter flying? - RC Groups
Sep 25, 2017, 09:13 PM
YadTech Bropulsion Engineer
Discussion

What do people dislike about Rc Helicopter flying?

I enjoy this hobby but what annoys people about rc helis?
A constant annoyance for me is people wandering over and chatting about crap when I'm upside down trying to master reverse flying. If I'm flying a plank I don't care, but I hate it when someone wanders over and starts asking questions. I am too polite to tell them to go away... Crashed my 450 a while back (no major damage tho) when I was distracted by a fellow member asking me about headspeed and blade size when I was doing 3d.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2017, 09:17 PM
I dislike being bitten by bugs or having to smear poison on myself; which I do when necessary :-)
Sep 25, 2017, 09:51 PM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
Carrying lipos to the field.
Needing huge field to get pleasure flight.
Worrying, "will my owb survive that oomph pullout"
Worrying about tail blow out on fast down ultra fall
Tracking going out of track
Doing preflight, who does those anymore?
Hooking up lipos with antispark.
Velcroing lipos in place
Charging pipos after flight
Sep 25, 2017, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan
i dislike being bitten by bugs or having to smear poison on myself; which i do when necessary :-)
+1!!!
Sep 26, 2017, 02:26 AM
I am not a huge fan of talking in general so it especially irritates me when people feel the need to talk to me while flying. The amount of concentration lost just when someone approaches is astounding and when they start talking and asking questions, I just have to land and quit flying.

Even worse than that is, I am sick and tired of talking about DRONES! Every single person assumes I must be interested in "moving up" to drones eventually. So naturally the conversation is all about drones drones drones! I hate them, so I really do not want to talk about them.

I am sick of being asked if i can put a camera on it and I'm sick of being asked how far I can fly it and how high I can fly it. And I am sick of the fact that any time there is an article somewhere about drones people assume I must be interested in it since I fly drones, WHICH I DON'T!

Asside from that, I find charging batteries to be very annoying. I'm sure that will change a bit once I get a truly acceptable charging set up bit the cost of trying to charge batteries in a short amount of time is irritatingly high IMO.

Oh, and lastly, I hate vibrations! Seeking out the source of vibrations is probably the single most annoying thing about flying helis.
Sep 26, 2017, 02:26 AM
At the Constellation club it's the flys. Millions of flys.
Sep 26, 2017, 03:31 AM
YadTech Bropulsion Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod69
At the Constellation club it's the flys. Millions of flys.
We get them at Holdfast as well.. The club puts up lots of fly catchers but they still get in your face in summer. Nothing worse when the little bastards get in your ear or between your glasses...
Sep 26, 2017, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz
We get them at Holdfast as well.. The club puts up lots of fly catchers but they still get in your face in summer. Nothing worse when the little bastards get in your ear or between your glasses...
Between the glasses!!!! Little fornicators love getting between the glasses! I'm seriously considering a bee keeper type hat.
Sep 26, 2017, 05:34 AM
Bro, it is harvest season!
Really hate dog walkers who think they own the field.
Sep 26, 2017, 07:16 AM
Cá bhfuil an linn snámha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
This pretty much.

Look, I understand, some open areas are public areas and I accept if there's anyone else not part of our party there, we probably should not fly anything larger than a micro, which is probably why these days only my 180 and 977 get a lot of airtime, sucks though having to travel miles to find a place to fly big stuff.
Sep 26, 2017, 09:29 AM
Registered Mike Visitor
Short flight times, I want to putter around for a half hour.
Sep 26, 2017, 09:48 AM
When bad weather denies you the chance of flying for weeks and weeks.
Sep 26, 2017, 10:03 AM
GREY.riddles::{used}? hmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747
According to this project,
I'm a clever dog walker who thinks they own the field
Sep 26, 2017, 02:00 PM
Short flight times.
Trees in the way.
Big field is more fun but harder to come by.
The talking to me while I fly. Especially how high does it go? How far. "I don't know. How far can you see?" I say.
Then they tell me a story of a guy with this drone that had a camera and it showed him how high it went! And it could hover! Oh my God. I'm so flocking amazed!!
Bugs.
Crashing.
Lipos.
Taking canopies on and off.
Needing three parts that cost as much as a new kit. They really need to wake up.
Any heli that takes more than 1 minute to change a servo, servo arm or a main shaft or spindle shaft. Or a heli that needs servo removal to change a servo arm. Bye bye. This ain't 1986.
Tx battery low Tx battery low. Stfu British spektrum lady. Heard you the first 98 times. Let me crash and go away.
Sep 26, 2017, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pitcher
According to this project,
I'm a clever dog walker who thinks they own the field
If your dog is always on a lead, at a public field, then you are a genius man according to this project.

A few weeks ago I was flying the 470L at the field, very big field mind. Suddenly this dog starts barking below the heli, chasing the heli as it did a figure eight. I decided to hover high up and "parked" the heli up about 30 meters lol. I looked around, no dog owner around. I started walking with the heli high above looking for the dog owner. I then spot this old guy 50 meters away. My Tx timer beeped for the time to land but I couldn't land with this dog yapping below.

The old guy came very slowly as if nothing was happening. I politely shouted "Put a lead on your dog, I need to land". All this time the 470L was hovering parked 30 meters up lol. I then landed a minute after the Tx timer had beeped. Luckily the esc didn't go into low voltage cut-off.

The old guy then asks me "shouldn't your helicopter be able to hover itself like a drone?" What a cheek lol.