P32 geabox failure "cracked gears" - RC Groups
Sep 25, 2017, 08:10 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Discussion

P32 geabox failure "cracked gears"

I posted this in an old thread but for those who may not see it. I called Neu motors today to check on my P32 gearbox that seized up on me during a flight. It's been repaired and will ship out to me tomorrow. I asked what was wrong w/ it and was told the gears were cracked.. Has anyone else had this happen? I looked at the gear teeth and they looked ok to me but I didn't actually look closely to see if the gear bodies themselves were damaged/cracked. I just put this gearbox into service this April, no warranty coverage but due to the amount of use/number of cycles I didn't even ask.. I had about 300 flights on it though, probably 10x as many flights as most do in a one year period. I hope they send the cracked gears back to me so I can post pics
Last edited by tic; Oct 02, 2017 at 09:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2017, 02:11 AM
186mph Funjet Ultra
I had cracked gears once in a Robbe planeta Pro wich was fitted with none needle bearing bronze planets after about 8 minutes of flight due to overheating at around 700W.
After replacing them with steel none needle bearing planets the whole gearbox flew apart because of overheating and melting, the front part with the output shaft flew off after about 10 minutes of flight! The steel planets where still intact.

René
Sep 26, 2017, 06:30 AM
The P32 is normally rock-solid, as you also commented before.
Ofcourse at typical hotliner power levels stresses are high and an incident could always occur.

Most gearbox failures I've seen where either Kontronik (planetary gears too soft), or Plettenberg (the very small ball-bearings in the planetary gears gave up).
Sep 27, 2017, 12:26 AM
Bad lube -> heat -> structural failure

Neu has magic German grease that won't sheer at XXk rpm. I once spotted a bottle of Klouer (sp?) on his shelf and contacted the manufacturer who sent me two sample jars... I wish I could find them now.

It's a pity how much time of a time suck hobbies can be when we let them take over our lives, I must have spent 3 full days locating that stuff
Sep 27, 2017, 06:55 AM
Klüber?

https://www.klueber.com/de/schmierstoffe/schmierfette/
Sep 27, 2017, 10:15 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
The gearbox had the OEM grease in it although it had never been serviced
Sep 29, 2017, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben
Yah
Sep 29, 2017, 10:17 AM
And You're Not
You used to be able to get little (maybe 10ml?) tubes of the black Kluber lube from Neu, and I think it also came with the gearboxes back when they were sold separate. I'm not sure if he will sell gearboxes separate anymore, I haven't bought one in years, about the time the Castle distribution thing went down.

Latest blog entry: My Quad
Sep 29, 2017, 10:26 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Yes, you can buy the gearbox separate. I bought a P32 so I didn't have to wait for my seized one to be repaired. Turn around time on my P32 was two weeks.
Oct 01, 2017, 11:21 AM
FWIW my grease was white, and I never had a failure, but take all my posts, divide by 1,000 and that's the total number of minutes I've flown with the power on.
Oct 01, 2017, 01:59 PM
The grease I got from NEU was cream/brownish, from Leomotion it´s blue, from Plettenberg a different brown. They all seem to work..
Oct 01, 2017, 02:30 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Best I can roughly calculate is about 5 hours of run time on that gearbox in 300 flights
Oct 02, 2017, 06:20 AM
This seems to be an incident, a rare occasion.

As opposed to the normal experience of most users, finding the P32 to be a very solid and trouble-free gearbox .
Oct 02, 2017, 06:20 AM
This seems to be an incident, a rare occasion.

As opposed to the normal experience of most users, finding the P32 to be a very solid and trouble-free gearbox .
Oct 02, 2017, 07:36 AM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
If so, and with the motor/gearbox purchased less than one year ago, it would have been nice for warranty to cover the repair. That being said, I think there's a disclaimer that if used in competition or extreme conditions there is no warranty. Either way, I'm not complaining or trying to get something for free.
Last edited by tic; Oct 02, 2017 at 09:20 AM.