Legionair 140 - RC Groups
Sep 25, 2017, 07:27 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Build Log

Legionair 140

I built Legionairs back in the '70s... quite a few of them. I don't even remember for sure how many but it was more than 20. I built them mostly for others, including several for the designer, the late Cecil Haga. I was poor and had 3 kids. This is how I afforded my hobby... and probably why I got burned out and almost quit flying models for 20 years. The last 2 I built were in the '02 to '03 time frame, and both are depicted on Ray Hayes' Skybench Aerotech website. Those were both scratch built models and I used an old fuselage for a plug, and made my own rudimentary mold... I only got 2 fuselages out of it before I destroyed it because I didn't use enough mold release... ... Ray decided he wanted to kit that model, and I sent him my plug. In return he sent me a partial kit, that I never built. I have a full set of ribs and plans for all versions of Legionairs, and it took me a bit of teeth gnashing and head scratching to decide which version to build, but the 140 finally won out.

So, during this build, you will see some laser-cut parts being used, and some old parts from the '70s being used, and... my mods to make this model winch and flutter proof. I will try to use a removable, straight joiner. one will be 7075T6 aluminum, and I am going to try to find an ejector pin of the same diameter for windier days. The 140 I built back then was strong, but did flutter a couple of times. It was also a touch heavy. This one will have a carbon tail boom and I will lighten the wings by tapering spars... and generally lighten the model by putting the weight where the strength needs to be. I use some techniques that some consider archaic... but they have worked for me for years. Don't be afraid to make suggestions,.. but please don't be offended if I don't use your method. I'm old, and set in my ways......

So here we go. This will be somewhat abbreviated through some parts, but through the wing mods and critical setup I'll be detailed in case some of you want to build one of these beautiful, before-their-time models.... Cecil definitely thought outside the box. Built light, and set up properly, a Legionair is still a potent model... Enjoy...

Darth Woodbutcher
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2017, 07:51 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
Sep 25, 2017, 08:22 PM
Bring it on JW watching with envious eyes. The 140 is a Super Sailplane. On my list... L
Sep 25, 2017, 09:05 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
I had a 132 that my father bought from a guy at a contest in Iowa for me. Amazing sailplane, although I really didn't know how to fly it well at the time. This goes back ... oh... about 36 years ago. I still have the fuselage. I would absolutely love to build one again someday. I was able to find plans for a 140, but have never found a set for the 132.
Sep 25, 2017, 09:45 PM
You know my thoughts Jack!

Marc
Sep 25, 2017, 11:03 PM
A build thread on the legendary Legionair? Yes, very interested here.

Aluminum tube wing spars in the original and Ray mentions carbon tube spars in his kits, I believe. Your version you have stated in the 'on your bench' thread is the 140cs, the letters for carbon spars. Definitely interested in your mods to lighten the wing. Archaic techniques? I prefer to use the phase time-proven.
Sep 25, 2017, 11:13 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
This should be fun to watch and follow along. Always enjoy you builds Jack. I always learn something new.
K
Sep 26, 2017, 07:31 AM
Had a kit back in the 80's but for the life of me I can not remember what ever happened to it.
Last edited by Gratter; Sep 26, 2017 at 04:56 PM.
Sep 26, 2017, 09:27 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Subscribed... what a awesome project...best regards.
Manolo.
Sep 26, 2017, 10:01 AM
What Adhesive are you going to use to bond the aluminum tubes with? I tried to restore the Legion Air that Dick Schilling gave me where he used some form of epoxy that rubberized over time. It was impossible to correct that so I did not continue with the restoration.
Sep 26, 2017, 10:54 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Keith,

There will be no aluminum tube spars in this one. But... When I was building these in the ancient days when Caesar was a pup... ... I used Elmer's white glue, as recommended by Cecil Haga. The spars got sanded with the scratches lengthwise only, and cleaned profusely. I then handled then with gloves to keep my skin oils off the aluminum. Never had that glue joint fail, but did I mention that the aluminum had to be clean? I believe the lengthwise "tooth" of rough sanding helped a lot, too.

I'm surprised that there's this much interest in this build thread... Maybe it's timely...

Darth CarbonSparticus...
Sep 26, 2017, 02:43 PM
Still have one or two NIB of all his versions. Cecil was WAAAAAY ahead of his time. Pod and boom! The neat thing was that the wing rod was long and fit far into the spars. A little white hospital tape wrapped around the rod just "to fit" into the spar tubes. Plenty of spoiler for those 100 point landings tapes. No sissy "in or out" circles in those days. Long flying times kept it from being a "landing" contest!"

cheers
Jim
Sep 26, 2017, 07:19 PM
Hey Grat , if you find it, I'll take it .
I can be there in a half hour .
Sep 26, 2017, 08:53 PM
If I had it I would build it now myself. That is not the only kit that has been lost in my memory. I wonder if one of my other personalities sold it. ��
Sep 27, 2017, 07:17 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
This is a plane that I'd dreamed I had back in the early 80's when they were popular. I was truly amazed of the length of the span.

Maybe someday. For now I'll live my live vicariously through Jacks build.
Kurt