Byron MiG-15 Conversion to Turbine - RC Groups
Sep 25, 2017, 01:27 PM
Build Log

Byron MiG-15 Conversion to Turbine

Hello, I am beginning this thread on the conversion of a Byron Mig to turbine. Years ago in the Ducted fan nitro days I had one with a Viojett in it, and it flew great!! I lost the model when a wing departed the airframe. The conversion was not my idea but a gentleman named Dave Nicholson from the Daytona area. He flew hundreds of flights with that combination. Whenever we went to Ida Grove there always tons of Migs in the air. So on to the build....
to remove ads between posts
Sep 25, 2017, 01:32 PM
The wings I have are the later kit with the metal spar and retract mount. After losing one model it was decided to add a spar to the front of the wing. I am going to use BVM blade spar reinforced with vertical grain balsa top and bottom. This secured with blade spar receptacles from BVM.
Last edited by PMSchuessler; Sep 25, 2017 at 01:39 PM.
Sep 25, 2017, 01:43 PM
The trough was made with a dremel router and the alignment jig to keep the spars square and the same distance from the metal spar.
Sep 25, 2017, 02:35 PM
Wanted: More Time to Fly
This looks fun!
I'll be watching closely since I have a second Byron F-16 that I'm debating to whether convert to Jetfan 130 or a small turbine (45 or 60 Newton).
Good luck!
Sep 27, 2017, 03:38 PM

More Wing Work

Decided to go with 4 servos running the ailerons and flaps. Made the troughs with the dremel router. Lined the bays with vertical balsa. Triangle stock with ply for cover plate anchor points. And plywood covers over the servos. BVM flat servo mounts.
Oct 03, 2017, 06:14 PM

More on Wings

Here are some pictures of the servo installation and flaps. The flaps were made using the Dremel router once again going down day 1/8 of inch into the Wing and using carbon fiber 1/16 inch for the flap and plywood-1/32 laminated with the hole details. Hinges are Dubro connected by music wire. Ailerons are stock with bass mounts for the BVM carbon fiber horns. After all the woodwork was done they were glassed with Z poxy. Primer is klasscoat.
Oct 23, 2017, 04:06 AM
Berto
Which turbine are planning to install?
Oct 24, 2017, 05:40 PM

Turbine

I am planning on using the KingTech K-45
Oct 25, 2017, 04:04 AM
Berto
Okay, will follow this thread, soon I will get a Byron Mig 15 and also am planning to update this oldie.
Nov 06, 2017, 03:04 PM
I added servos to the Stabs and used the original hinge positions and Robart hinges. Once again BVM carbon horns in .25 inch bass blocks.
Nov 06, 2017, 03:07 PM
Glassed once again with .75 ounce cloth and Z poxy klasscoat primer.
Nov 06, 2017, 03:13 PM
Berto
Great, I am also planning to place the servo`s directly in the stabilizers.

Here some pictures of my MiG 15,already started a little altough I have another big build besides it
Nov 19, 2017, 08:18 PM
So wings and Stabs done. Time to cut a hatch. It will need to be big. Squared up fuse in a jig and made a scribe line where it is to go.
Nov 19, 2017, 08:24 PM
Now is where it gets crazy. I am going to laminate a flange in the fuse but before you cut you must build a structure to hold it all true. Apply green tape and hot glue popsicle sticks all around zap them together remembering you will have to reach the cut line with the dremel. Then body putty to the tape quick and dirty. Then cut it out and all stays in place
Nov 19, 2017, 08:29 PM
Find a sheet of clear plastic and cut a hole to get access from below. Make 2 perpendicular formers on the front and rear and lay up the flange