Furibee DarkMax 220 - The Ultimate Furibee 2xx size? (review, work in progress) - Page 6 - RC Groups
Nov 14, 2017, 02:31 AM
Re the receiver, so I guess all these FrSKY compatible BNF quads are coming with the same receiver, which by many accounts is crap. I just checked the first page, and saw how you routed the antenna, but didn’t see it a more close up pic of the receiver itself. Could you give a more “for dummies”explanation of how to install a new one? I bought a XS something or other receiver for the X220, but didn’t use it, because I didn’t want to solder(had a spare D4R-II, which plugged right up)..

Edit - Just took a closer look at the FC. If the stock receiver comes with a cable which would plug right into the XS receiver, that would be great...
Last edited by Herrsavage; Nov 14, 2017 at 03:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 14, 2017, 03:38 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Re the receiver, so I guess all these FrSKY compatible BNF quads are coming with the same receiver, which by many accounts is crap. I just checked the first page, and saw how you routed the antenna, but didn’t see it a more close up pic of the receiver itself. Could you give a more “for dummies”explanation of how to install a new one? I bought a XS something or other receiver for the X220, but didn’t use it, because I didn’t want to solder(had a spare D4R-II, which plugged right up...).. Thanks.

(ps - still no shipping confirmation...)

Edit - Just took a closer look at the FC. If the stock receiver comes with a cable which would plug right into the XS receiver, that would be great...

With the DSM version I got, the receiver cable had a servo connector on the side that plugs into the receiver. So unless your XSR has these pins for receiver connection, it won't be plug in:

I decided to cut the servo plug and solder wires direclty on the XM+ solder pads, as there isn't that much room inside the frame.
Nov 14, 2017, 04:52 AM
Thanks. The receiver came with a cable which has a plug on one side - for the receiver, but on the other end there is no plug, the reason being I assume that that end is to be soldered on to the FC. So maybe the Frsky BNF version will come with a pin/plug thing on the FC…( if not, I would have to desolder it to change it I guess…) We'll see. In either case I don't have a cable with plugs on both ends for the XSR receiver. I do have a spare DS4-II though…, which comes with the right cable. Plugged right into the X220…
Nov 14, 2017, 10:23 AM
You can combine the cable that comes with DM220 and the XSR. By soldering the right color wires together.

Red to red, black to black, and white to white. The yellow and green cable are not needed, on is for PPM connection, which is not needed when using sbus, and the other is for telemetry. You can just remove these wires from the connector by carefully lifting the retainer tab in the connector, and slide it out. Or just cut the green and yellow wire, but that's a little crude method.
Nov 14, 2017, 03:18 PM
I break things
I must've gotten lucky on the electronics side of my Darkmax, it was rock solid in a hover, flew like butter with no jitters or anything. I was even impressed with the off-brand FrSky rx as mine has a range on it that surprised me. Got it too far away from me flying LOS and got disorientated, thought I was flying back but was actually flying away from myself! By the time I got some what orientated it was nothing but a speck on the horizon but still managed to get it home. Had to be at least 500+ meters...

Not so lucky on the frame cracking. Had been dealing with Anny from GearBest and seemed like she was going to be of some help but in the end she just directed me to the bare frame for $55 that won't ship until the end of December so I picked up a GEP Leopard 1 frame and am going to move the electronics onto that baby. Oh, splurged and bought a set of Brother Hobby Returner R4's to try out on it too.
Nov 14, 2017, 03:21 PM
youtube.com searchfor danqfpv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cprrogrammer
OK hold the phone... My Remapping of the Mix from the inputs addressed what I THOUGHT was in error so with no orientation change
I have her responding ( with the stick movements) properly ( Taranis QX 7 )

BUT....your telling me this board ( I didn't notice an arrow stamp on it) (damnit) is actually rotated +90 YAW...

That might explain some of the issues I've been mentioning in my previous posts about it being weird on every start up into betaflight....

lol at motor direction I believe I confirmed that but I will touch and confirm as well.. Thanks for the insight on the rotation along the Yaw axis. Now I'm gonna look at the FC included paper schematic and see if I somehow missed that ...
another thing thing that would cause the shaking is if you have the pid loop and gyro rates set too high. what khz do you have them set to? the maximum they should be set to is 8khz for both

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
One of the must do tests on any quad with BetaFlight or similar, is check if the 3D model on the "Setup" tab moves the same way as the real one, when holding it with your hand, and tilting it in various directions. Of it doesn't match, the board orientations needs to be adjusted. Often it's 90 or -90 (or 270, whatever you prefer)
yup thats what I always do too. its a good idea to do this too after changing settings.
Nov 14, 2017, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
You can combine the cable that comes with DM220 and the XSR. By soldering the right color wires together.

Red to red, black to black, and white to white. The yellow and green cable are not needed, on is for PPM connection, which is not needed when using sbus, and the other is for telemetry. You can just remove these wires from the connector by carefully lifting the retainer tab in the connector, and slide it out. Or just cut the green and yellow wire, but that's a little crude method.
Excellent. Thanks... That kind of soldering I think I can manage...
Nov 14, 2017, 09:24 PM

Eazy

I personally just soldered up an XM Since I'm acquainted with them and have a few laying around

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/xm-...non-telemetry/
Nov 14, 2017, 10:35 PM
Anyone have Smartport working ?
Nov 15, 2017, 12:51 AM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cprrogrammer
I personally just soldered up an XM Since I'm acquainted with them and have a few laying around
I got mine in and did it tonight.

Tomorrow I'll report in if my drop out issue is fixed or not. I'm lazy and my antennas are just sticking out the back for now.
Latest blog entry: Drones for Christmas! 🎅
Nov 15, 2017, 03:58 AM
For testing it will work, just make sure antenna can't get into the props

Here's how mine are secured:

Nov 15, 2017, 01:15 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[s]My darkmax is 100% fixed. I had a flight and it didn't drop out at all! I'm so happy that changing the receiver fixed it. SoloProFan I think your theory was correct. Bad RX locking up the entire board.[/s]

NOPE IT'S NOT -- see later posts.
Last edited by JohnCC; Yesterday at 10:49 PM.
Nov 15, 2017, 01:25 PM
My DarkMax also had the FC freeze issue, I'm still waiting for my R-XSR from Gearbest.

Is there a way to set up telemetry with this FC? Where do I solder the yellow? cable?
Nov 15, 2017, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
My darkmax is 100% fixed. I had a flight and it didn't drop out at all! I'm so happy that changing the receiver fixed it. SoloProFan I think your theory was correct. Bad RX locking up the entire board.

Glad to hear it seems to be ok with the new receiver.
Nov 15, 2017, 02:52 PM
Hi guys. I need to advise about the DarkMax and the FrSky R-XSR receiver. As for the drones, I'm a complete beginner and I try to learn something new every day. My question to you is this. The original receiver that comes with the drones is connected to the motherboard via a 3-pin cable. When I look at photos and videos about a new receiver, it comes with a cable that has a connector at one end, but the other end needs to solder. Is there a cable that does not have to be soldered and I can use it? If not, could someone please show me the scheme where to solder these cables. I know it's a stupid question, but I never did that and I want to learn it. Thank you for any advice.