Furibee DarkMax 220 - The Ultimate Furibee 2xx size? (review, work in progress) - Page 3 - RC Groups
Nov 07, 2017, 03:48 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
This is how my DarkMax looks now.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2017, 09:12 PM

@ TexasFlyr

The You Tube channel review by UAV Futures for this Quad mentioned how ODD the Carbon looked "Never seen carbon fiber like this " he then performed the stress flex test and exclaimed how rigid it appeared, I agree I did the same thing when mine arrived , but it does seem a bit odd.. please do update us on how they handle your request it should prove interesting . I didn't notice any frame only choice , but I did locate the tower by itself , granted I haven gone searching for a purchase option to replace the frame or canopy That was stupid of me... hey man would you please go back a page in this thread and peek at my question I'm curious if yours instantly recognized betaflight or perhaps you didn't even go into betaflight
Nov 08, 2017, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cprrogrammer
The You Tube channel review by UAV Futures for this Quad mentioned how ODD the Carbon looked "Never seen carbon fiber like this " he then performed the stress flex test and exclaimed how rigid it appeared, I agree I did the same thing when mine arrived , but it does seem a bit odd.. please do update us on how they handle your request it should prove interesting . I didn't notice any frame only choice , but I did locate the tower by itself , granted I haven gone searching for a purchase option to replace the frame or canopy That was stupid of me... hey man would you please go back a page in this thread and peek at my question I'm curious if yours instantly recognized betaflight or perhaps you didn't even go into betaflight
Not sure what “ODD” means, type of carbon fiber??ETA; (Ohhhh ok, odd! I was thinking it was some type off carbon fiber didn’t realize it simply meant it looked odd. Duhhh, I feel pretty dumb for that one.) It does seem rigid but if you look there are several screw holes and slots all in a line on the bottom plate which makes for a weak point and that is exactly where mine cracked, right down that line.

I’m pretty new at this but didn’t have much of a problem connecting to Betaflight, it recognized it and let’s me change settings, I guess I got lucky!

I did manage to find the bare frame kit on Gearbest for $54 but it shows that it won’t ship until the end of December! Guess I too didn’t think ahead and check for spare parts availability-not too smart of me. I contacted Gearbest directly on here and spoke to Anny, she said she’s looking into it and will try to get me taken care of ASAP. To be honest I’m thinking of just buying a frame like the QAV-Skitzo from GetFPV and tearing the guts out of the Darkmax and put them into the Skitzo.

Ok just went to find the frame, you have to search Darkmax and you’ll find it. Entire frame is $54 and bottom plate only is $40! Ouch, might as well buy the entire frame.
Last edited by TexasFlyr; Nov 09, 2017 at 10:28 AM.
Nov 08, 2017, 02:11 PM
youtube.com searchfor socalep1
i think uavfutures said the x215 pro looked odd. it definitely looks different than any type of carbon fiber ive seen before.
Nov 10, 2017, 05:27 PM

Thanks TexasFlyr

Thanks for the reply yes odd meant odd lol .. I agree the weak point of the holes lined up like that was not a wise design choice.

What UART did you get SBUS working on?
I got into betaflight
( Damn Port selection option)

but I cant get her to arm, and I copied my setup from another working quad.. I changed the receiver to a REAL FrSky X receiver
And I see her bound up ( Green Light) & I get stick response in the betaflight user interface but no Arming... motors wont go on...Im just ranting now but I am seriously curious about what UART because I tried all of them until No 6 gave me stick response and thats Krazy. The stupid little instruction sheet claims UART 1 for SBUS
Nov 11, 2017, 07:07 AM
It came in yesterday, and just looking at it I have to say I'm very impressed. The build quality is really tight, like no other I have laid my eyes on. This is why it's good to get in early. The motor windings Look very nice, the soldering is done well, the lens on the FPV camera looks like a good one, and everything is so clean and well arranged.

The only thing on the whole ship that looks even the slightest bit iffy is the antenna on the receiver, but it is the right kind of wire. No diversity either though, so I expect some failsafes.

Now I just have to go and fly the thing. I don't know when that is going to be considering I am so busy right now and my interest in drones is at an all-time low rn.
Nov 11, 2017, 07:32 AM
Im really tempted by this flash sale.. Basically Ive been flying cheaper 3s MRs (Spedix quads and a hex) for a couple of years, and almost exclusively LOS. I got some Skyzone V2 goggles earlier this year, but the transition to FPV is kind of a hurdle. I actually like flying LOS. Anyway, I just recently got an Eachine Wizard X220, and have a few flights on that LOS. I am currently ordering some props, and so my question is basically if I get some DAL 5045 Cyclones, will they also work on the Dark Max in case I end up getting it? Thanks

(Im also planning to build a Thorax hex just for messing around, so basically want to have all my MRs use the same props, namely 5045 - from 2-blades to 4-blades...)
Last edited by Herrsavage; Nov 11, 2017 at 08:54 AM.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:53 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Im really tempted by this flash sale.. Basically Ive been flying cheaper 3s MRs (Spedix quads and a hex) for a couple of years, and almost exclusively LOS. I got some Skyzone CV2 goggles earlier this year, but the transition to FPV is kind of a hurdle. I actually like flying LOS. Anyway, I just recently got an Eachine Wizard X220, and have a few flights on that LOS. I am currently ordering some props, and so my question is basically if I get some DAL 5045 Cyclones, will they also work on the Dark Max in case I end up getting it? Thanks

(Im also planning to build a Thorax hex just for messing around, so basically want to have all my MRs use the same props, namely 5045 - from 2-blades to 4-blades...)

5045 will work too.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:16 AM
'K, thanks. Couple more newbish questions before I pull the trigger..:

1.) I had some hassles setting up Betaflight, so ended up with 3.1.1 on the Config, and the FC. Can I just hook it up to BF as is, or do I need to flash something? I want to be able to hook up both, obviously...

2.) I assume 4S will not fry the VTX(as it will apparently on the Wizard...)?

3.). Now a really dumb question: no clue about OSD. I can set it up as is to have stuff shown on my goggles screen, or do I need something else?

4.). I recently bought two Graphene 4S 1300 65C lipos. Will buy more when on sale. If I want to try 5S at some point, do I need to change anything?

Thanks...
Nov 11, 2017, 10:22 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
It should simply connect to Betaflight. You shouldn't need to flash anything.

The DarkMax electronics are rated to handle up to 6S. It is said that the motors run quite hot on 6S, but 4S and 5S is fine. It rips on 4S.

I plan to try 5S as well, but haven't pulled the trigger on a battery yet.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:58 AM
Thanks. So this should be a lot more plug-and-play than the X220 was, by the sound of it… I guess I would have to find a way to mount the Mobius on that weird angled front part, for in-air footage…
Nov 11, 2017, 12:33 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
I am getting no stick movements in the receiver tab in betaflight 3.2.2 no matter what I try.

#1. I bound to the frsky rx, green light is ON and XD9+ is in D8 mode. Bind appears successful, since if I turn off the radio the rx light blinks.
#2. I have verified under configuration that UART1 is enabled for serial_rx
#3. I have tried to disable LED_STRIP and this did not change anything.

The rx connection LOOKS okay. It appears to be plugged into the correct port. I understand there's a port for DSMX and one for everyone else. I'm at a loss and I need help guys.

I have never touched this drone with configurator 3.1.x, either. This came with BTFL 3.2.0 installed.

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Enable serial RX on Uart6 and turn it off for UART1. Configured from factory incorrectly.

I've attached a copy of the stock BTFL 3.2.0 config for reference with UART6 enabled as well since they are obviously shipping newer models with 3.2.0 before I go screwing around with anything else.
Last edited by JohnCC; Nov 11, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:40 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Thanks. So this should be a lot more plug-and-play than the X220 was, by the sound of it I guess I would have to find a way to mount the Mobius on that weird angled front part, for in-air footage

The DM220 was quite easy for me to setup. And it feels more polished than the X220. The Eachine is more a tinkerer's quad, it can work right from the box, or require some work.
Nov 11, 2017, 01:52 PM
Ordered..
Nov 11, 2017, 02:31 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
(nvm, see next post)
Last edited by JohnCC; Nov 11, 2017 at 06:11 PM.