Sep 24, 2017, 11:23 PM
-insert witty saying here-
Thread OP
Discussion

Pee Wee .020 exhaust

Here's one for the Cox gurus. Going through a bunch of engines from a friend's late father and I came across a Pee Wee .020 that I cannot find anywhere on the various Cox sites. It's a silver Pee Wee, but it has a slotted exhaust shield/muffler or whatever. Anyone have an idea that it is from? I'm assuming it's a product engine with the silver tank....
Last edited by Hemikiller; Sep 26, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2017, 11:57 PM
Nitro User
It was meant to suppress exhaust heat hitting near by plastic to avoid deforming
and it is a safety feature for young little fingers learning how to use and operate.

It robs a bit of power and can be remove if you have none of the above issues.
Sep 25, 2017, 09:19 AM
This is spot welded to the cylinder. L.M. Cox was tired of engines being damaged by wrenches in the exhaust ports and found a way to alleviate this.
Sep 25, 2017, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox35
This is spot welded to the cylinder. L.M. Cox was tired of engines being damaged by wrenches in the exhaust ports and found a way to alleviate this.
Really? They even supplied the perfect tool for damaging the ports!
Sep 26, 2017, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris
LOL, no kidding. I learned my lesson to use those wrenches with care many years ago.
Sep 26, 2017, 09:37 PM
I think this was the other wrench on top. I machined a bunch of old Baby B cylinders for that TD wrench. I got this cylinder in a box of stuff Kewl Notice the soldered on plate on the bottom from a broken crank that went through, home made thrust washer, and the ring to hold on the venturi. Parts box.
Sep 26, 2017, 10:11 PM
Nitro User
Loose ball socket and one head shim can cause the piston to snap the cylinder in half more so if it's the old thin walled type.
Of course CL guys have vertical dived on hard pavement inverted and shattered the cylinder in half too.
Oct 05, 2017, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer_kris
I made one on the milling machine out of brass, end of problem. Ya notice Cox started machining flats on the upper fin on the cylinder? End of story.
Oct 06, 2017, 12:40 AM
Yes, I often make flats on the older cylinders or you simply make a wooden tool, or leather strap, that grabs the cylinder.

The reason for the "screen" is described here (scroll down a little); https://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils...uctengines.htm
Oct 06, 2017, 08:15 AM
Some of the old English motors said to use a leather belt to remove the cylinders on similar designs. Back in the days of the screw machine built motors. Many moons ago.
Oct 07, 2017, 08:46 AM
Got Chrome?
The "suppressor" on the engine in the first post looks similar to a chunk of a hose clamp. Looks like a bit like someone did their own "enhancement". Just my opinion.
Oct 08, 2017, 08:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
The "suppressor" on the engine in the first post looks similar to a chunk of a hose clamp. Looks like a bit like someone did their own "enhancement". Just my opinion.
That's what I thought at first, but the slots are perpendicular to the edges of the piece, not angles like a typical worm drive hose clamp. It was also perfectly spot welded to the cylinder, not something the typical home hacker is going to be able to accomplish.
Oct 08, 2017, 10:05 AM
Got Chrome?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller
That's what I thought at first, but the slots are perpendicular to the edges of the piece, not angles like a typical worm drive hose clamp. It was also perfectly spot welded to the cylinder, not something the typical home hacker is going to be able to accomplish.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but they don't tell the whole tale. Thanks for pointing those things out. It confirms what was said earlier.

Quick Reply