Spektrum radio or Orange RX for Taranis? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 24, 2017, 10:29 AM
Discussion

Spektrum radio or Orange RX for Taranis?

So I'm debating whether to get a orange rx module for my Taranis or buy a Spektrum radio, probably something on the cheaper side like a DXe. What do you guys think?

There's a lot of models I'd like to fly but they are Spektrum and I don't really want to mess with changing it all over to FRsky.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2017, 10:49 AM
Get a DX6e. You'll be able to use all the model files created by E-flite or other customers. Much more convenient.

Andy
Works for Spektrum
Sep 24, 2017, 11:25 AM

Neither!

I would recommend the: iRangeX IRX4 - which uses native serial mode interface support built into OpenTX 2.2 - (which also provides telemetry feedback from the models)

STM32 4in1 Multi Protocol Module iRangeX IRX4 for FrSky Taranis Radio Transmitter OpenTX QX7 X9D 9XR (16 min 59 sec)

I would recommend using a Spektrum DSMX RF module, but there is no such thing!
Sep 24, 2017, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr
I would recommend the: iRangeX IRX4 - which uses native serial mode interface support built into OpenTX 2.2 - (which also provides telemetry feedback from the models)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0W5V5ksids

I agree, this will give you the best of both (or is that all?) worlds!
Sep 24, 2017, 07:26 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunr
Sure there is, it's the Spektrum Hack Module, which uses an RF module from a DX4e, DX5e or DX6i on an adapter board. This is FCC legal as long as uses the same antenna setup as the original units.

Downsides are 6 channels only and no telemetry. Upsides are legality and support for all the HH BnF models.
Sep 25, 2017, 11:13 AM
so none of the modules do dsmx? the jumper tx claims to do dsmx and uses the same rf chip as the irangex module. so is the jumper wrong or is dsmx something that might be added later.

just curious.
Sep 25, 2017, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte
so none of the modules do dsmx? the jumper tx claims to do dsmx and uses the same rf chip as the irangex module. so is the jumper wrong or is dsmx something that might be added later.

just curious.
Both the iRangeX IRX4 RF module and the new Jumper T8SG compact Tx support both DSMX and DSM2 protocols at 22 or 11ms.
Sep 25, 2017, 03:57 PM
thanks. dsmx isn't mentioned on bg's irangex page so I wasn't sure.
Sep 25, 2017, 04:21 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte

just curious.
Only the DM9 doesn't do DSMX. The Orange modules do something vaguely similar to DSMX. The iRange modules and Spektrum Hack Modules do DSMX.
Sep 25, 2017, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Does anyone have the iRange or Jumper modules?
Sep 25, 2017, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroeffect
Thanks for all the replies! Does anyone have the iRange or Jumper modules?
I have both and they work as advertised. Very handy to be able to fly all my different brand micros using one Tx - primarily the tried and true: Taranis X9D!

I picked up the new Jumper T8SG to be a portable "adventure" tx (to carry in a backpack ot on my moto) - am still in the process of testing it out and learning the Deviation TxOS. (Although, It *is* hard to move to anything else once your mind has melded with OpenTX).
Sep 25, 2017, 10:37 PM
I have a DX6e and only limited to 6ch and Im thinking of getting the Qx7 and the irange module. So now I can have lots of channels and still be able to fly spektrum as well
Oct 15, 2017, 02:07 PM
rslegge

OpenTx 2.2 IRX4 RxNum Limitation seems to be 15

I have the QX7 with OpenTx 2.2 and the IRX4 multi module. I am liking them both so far. I have a bunch of Spektrum DSMX , FlySky, and Orange DSM powered airplanes and multirotors. I have been successfully binding them to the QX7 and flying each afterwards.

Successful until today when I created a new model in model 16 position and discovered that I could not input an RxNum greater than 15 - either from the Companion or the QX7. I ended up using position 13 that I had left open with RxNum 13.

If I had known I could only use 15 of my non FrySky models into the QX7 and IRX4 I may have made a different purchasing decision.

Does anyone know if this is a limit of OpenTX 2.2 using the IRX4 module or a limit in the IRX4 module itself, or am I just not holding my mouth correctly?

Thanks for any information.
Oct 15, 2017, 03:18 PM
rslegge

OpenTx 2.2 IRX4 RxNum Limitation seems to be 15

I have the QX7 with OpenTx 2.2 and the IRX4 multi module. I am liking them both so far. I have a bunch of Spektrum DSMX , FlySky, and Orange DSM powered airplanes and multirotors. I have been successfully binding them to the QX7 and flying each afterwards.

Successful until today when I created a new model in model 16 position and discovered that I could not input an RxNum greater than 15 - either from the Companion or the QX7. I ended up using position 13 that I had left open with RxNum 13.

If I had known I could only use 15 of my non FrySky models into the QX7 and IRX4 I may have made a different purchasing decision.

Does anyone know if this is a limit of OpenTX 2.2 using the IRX4 module or a limit in the IRX4 module itself, or am I just not holding my mouth correctly?

Thanks for any information.
Oct 15, 2017, 03:40 PM
You might get more help if you post in the big 4 in 1 thread.