Top of the line custom 5" Racing Drone (No affiliate links) - RC Groups
Sep 24, 2017, 08:52 AM
Discussion

Top of the line custom 5" Racing Drone (No affiliate links)

Hello everyone, a friend of mine asked me my opinion about building a racing drone. He wants to build it from scratch which is imo the right way to start, and I'm going to help him. He asked me which parts he should purchase for the lightest, fastest racing drone he can get. since money is not an issue. I came up with a list of items I believe are top of the line, but I'd like your opinion on this. Are there any better choices in any parts, and if so, why? What do I gain and what is the trade off? Anything overspec that is not really needed?
I want to clarify that the links provided are NOT affiliate links. I do not affiliate with any company, website or brand. It's just the cheapest price I could find on the internet, that's why it's all from different websites and I made sure they don't have any affiliate codes at the end of the link. I just want your opinion. So here it goes:

Quad
ESCs: Racerstar Tattoo_S 35A 4 In 1 Blheli_32 Dshot1200
Flight Controller: F4 V5PRO AIO Integrated VTx PDB OSD
Motors: T-Motor F40 PRO 2600KV
Props: Dalprop Cyclone T5050C (red)
Frame: Catalyst Machineworks Merica 5"
Canopy: Catalyst Machineworks Merica Canopy (red)
Battery : Thunder Power 1600mAh 4s 95c Adrenaline Series
Radio Receiver: FrSky XSR
Video Transmitter Antenna: Lumenier AXII U.FL (RHCP)
Camera: RunCam Micro Swift 2 (2.3mm NTSC)
Battery Straps: RunCam 16*250mm

Weight without battery: 240g
Weight with battery: 425g

Total: $380

Radio
Radio: FrSky Taranis X9D Plus SPECIAL EDITION (Carbon)
Taranis gear (battery, neck strap, backmount, color metallic parts and switches, protectors, case)

Total: $300

Goggles
Goggles: Fat Shark Dominator HD3
Module 1: LaForge V3
Module 2: LaForge Diversity
Receiver Antenna 1: IBCrazy Mad Mushroom
Receiver Antenna 2: TrueRC X-AIR (RHCP)

Total: $670

Grand Total: $1350

And I guess the price goes higher (about $2000), because he will need more props, more batteries, a soldering iron, a charger, a parallel board, hex drivers and various other tools. I just realized how the drone itself is just a fraction of the cost of the gear that you need to fly...
Last edited by DimitrisMel; Sep 24, 2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Added names next to all the item links
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2017, 10:21 AM
Maybe you could write the name/desc of the gear in the list Dimitris, donít have time to click links Iím a busy man
Sep 24, 2017, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyriesRide
Maybe you could write the name/desc of the gear in the list Dimitris, donít have time to click links Iím a busy man
Right. I added the names.
Sep 24, 2017, 01:12 PM
Thanks, whereís the vtx, you have two osds? on the cam and the F.C.? Not really keen on the frame and canopy, just personal taste I suppose but it looks like a toy, not totl. I donít mean to be critcal, sorry but for the money heís spending isnít there anything a bit lighter and meaner looking?
Sep 24, 2017, 01:50 PM
Damn I had the wrong FC on the list. I meant to use the V5PRO. Thanks for that, I have changed it. I chose something that's AIO to make it fit into that tight stack and make it lighter, which is also the reason I chose a 4-in-1 ESC.

And yeah I have 2 OSDs but there is not really a choice there. All the good FCs have one and all the good cameras have one too. I will just turn off the camera OSD and have him use the Betaflight one, which is better.

As for the frame, I'd like to hear some more suggestions but this one is HYPER light. I mean it's 62 grams built and with the canopy on. Plus it has removable arms, to replace one if you brake it. I also thought about the Norris, but the non replaceable arms are a problem for a $80 frame. What other frame would you suggest?
Sep 24, 2017, 01:54 PM
add comfortably 450$ for 10-15 batteries and a good charger. oh and spares. if he's new to the hobby he's going to break a lot of stuff. antennas and probably motors
Sep 24, 2017, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasone32
add comfortably 450$ for 10-15 batteries and a good charger. oh and spares. if he's new to the hobby he's going to break a lot of stuff. antennas and probably motors
Yeah that's why I said it will probably get close to $2000. It's the price to get into the hobby for good though. With one of the fastest drones money can buy and all the gear needed to fly for hours at a time and repair broken stuff. It doesn't end there of course, since new stuff is constantly coming out and more spare parts are needed the more you fly, but not everyone has to spend that much. Those goggles tho!

He's not entirely new to the hobby, he's probably intermediate, but he flew already made drones till now and they were not very good in quality, so he wants to build one and step it up.
Nov 09, 2017, 09:56 PM
Have a look at amaxinno 2305 2550kv with dal 5051 not 5050. Use blheli32 escs with current sensing like the wraith or dys aria if price isnt an issue. I wish i could afford a build like that...