Receiver power - RC Groups
Sep 23, 2017, 06:34 PM
Question

Receiver power

The FlySky FS-iA6 description says "Input Power :4.0-6 .5 V DC". Will that work directly from 2s Li-Po, up to 8.4 V? Or what do people do?
(My present RC airplane is electric and takes the Rx power from the motor controller. Now I am planning an 0.20 powered RC converted Pushup, replacing the one I lost a decade ago.)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2017, 08:56 PM
Rough Landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 049flyer
Thanks for showing those links. I suppose the Life pack is better than the NiMh? How much flight time do you get before they are done?
Sep 23, 2017, 09:25 PM
Bit more involved than that I'm afraid.
Most Modern Servos have voltage limits.
Unlike earlier servos which were intended for 4 x 1.5v dry cell power (6 v).
Many servos will burn out at ..anything... over 5 volts. Read! their specs carefully.
So 2S is not a viable solution as a direct Rx/servo power source.. Need an esc with an inbuilt bec OR a standalone BEC... to adjust that voltage down to 5 v.
Also..Many Rx s can accept down to 3.3 v happily.
HLG guys use a 1S battery.. And 1s specific servos where lightness is a criteria.
Sep 23, 2017, 09:30 PM
LiFe packs hold their charge very well. You will not have to top off your batteries
prior to flying like you do with nimh cells up to 15-20% drain over the course of a week.
LiFe cells can puff, and at risk in a crash like lipo. I have had two packs puff no apparent
reason other then possible heat as the summers here get up to 106F

I use 1S with my Nano II with 1S servos
4x80mah nimh with Nano I and 4.8v servos
Sep 23, 2017, 11:43 PM
The Life packs have a bit less voltage than the Lipo packs enabling you to use them without a regulator.. I have run a variety of servos on Life packs without problems. Most servos these days can handle 6 volts without problems, our old nicad packs measured 6 volts fresh off the charger.
Sep 24, 2017, 02:42 AM
4 Nicads metered at 6v hot off the charger and only for brief moments of use.
Not that it mattered as servos of that era were designed for 6 v. .. but ran fine on 4.8v.
Although their perf specs were always quoted at 6 v levels.. which they rarely saw
One always got better speed and torque when on 4 dry cells (6v) rather than nicads' 4.8v.
Again; Many of the smaller Moderne servos have specific Voltage requirements. Buy with eyes open.
Old servos, if you've still got 'em, Are less picky about voltage.
Last edited by Bare; Sep 24, 2017 at 02:48 AM.
Sep 24, 2017, 02:28 PM
Thanks everyone.
Since there is nowhere near me to fly with combustion engines, this may not get a lot of flight time, so I am thinking 2 x CR2 or 2 x CR123a non-rechargeable might be a good solution. I don't have a charger for LiFe or for 4 x NiMH.
Or maybe I will use a light cheap motor controller or a bec and 2 x LiPo.
Sep 24, 2017, 10:27 PM
This looks light and is cheap: https://www.banggood.com/DC-DC-Conve...mds=mywishlist. That way I can use my regular LiPo charger, which has a 1/2 A setting.
Sep 27, 2017, 11:22 AM
Rough Landing
Another option:

https://alofthobbies.com/4-8-v-480-m...ck-square.html
Sep 27, 2017, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday101
Thanks for showing those links. I suppose the Life pack is better than the NiMh? How much flight time do you get before they are done?
Most of my 1/2A planes are 2 channel pylon racers. I get over an hour of hard pylon racing "on" time, so at 5 min per flight, I would probably fly about 10 flights or so. I also have a FrSky Taranis radio with telemetry as standard so I know to a tenth of a volt what my receiver battery is delivering. Plus I have set voice alerts to warn me when the battery is getting low.

In a glider, I just turn the rx on and shoot it up on the high start or motor up on the Cox .049, flight after flight. As I am not wiggling the servos like I do with my racers, I just leave the Rx in the glider "on" continuously for about 2 hours before my radio warns me the Rx battery is low.
Sep 28, 2017, 05:13 AM
Hey, watch this!
Here's one I used on a 1/2A plane a few years back. Did just fine.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us
Sep 29, 2017, 11:15 AM
I got a couple of those but have not tested them. The reviews seem to say 1 amp can be used up quickly with normal servos, so it seems ideal for 1/2 A 1/4A flying. You can use up a good cell from an old puffed up LiPo pack or whatever. For .049 to .10 planes I just use dollar store AAA nicads or nimh . A lot of them are 600 mah now which is better than the AAs of years ago. There are 2/3AAA now and many other choices.
Sep 29, 2017, 01:05 PM
Rough Landing
Right now this is all I am using and they work fine.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPYL6&P=ML

Weight is 1.9 oz., but still lighter than the 4 AA alkaline packs we used in the past.
Sep 29, 2017, 06:48 PM
1977 kawasaki kd100-m
I used to just use an eflite 1S 150MAH with a servo plug and just put it on the throttle channel, but that was for MAX 3 flights maybe 4 without recharging it and it was unreliable. now I just do the same with a 280mah 2s for my .020 powered eflite clipped wing cub 250. the 2s I found was a LOT more reliable and was light enough for a .020 powered ARF