Rib build QnA (I ask, you answer! :D ) - Page 8 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Oct 10, 2017, 11:52 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
What kind of paint can I use to spruce up the plane? And I'll get the battery checker on my next purchase, but atm it's not worth the $7 shipping for a $2 item.
For sprucing up foam board with the paper skins on it : DON'T use anything wet , or anything that will add weight . Colored pencils or crayons might work ...... or colored tape SPARINGLY ( a few stripes ? ) . But you might want to wait until it's survived the first flights .

Yes , it's best to order several items at a time from HK . If there's ever one item you need urgently , check with your local RC hobby shop .

Another good online store is Heads Up RC , they have FAST flat rate shipping ( $2.50 ) for unlimited quantity smaller components :
http://www.headsuphobby.com
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 11, 2017, 09:42 AM
treefinder
springer's Avatar
FWIW, banggood has 44 items under lipo battery tester, the first being this one from their us warehouse https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-1...l?rmmds=search

When you click on the link, wait for the page to update it comes up with EU pricing, but updates to US in a second. Free shipping typically.

With Hobby King it is best to aggregate items to max out a given shipping weight/rate (made tougher now with the way they set up multi warehouse ordering -still seems best to keep individual orders from the same warehouse), but with banggood, you can order ten items from any warehouses and they parse them and ship individually with "free" shipping (shipping included probably a more accurate description, but often the final price is similar to pre shipping price from HK). My experience is that banggood has the international shipping figured out. It's like Christmas when i order stuff from them, every few days another little black bag with goodies shows up in my mail box!
Oct 11, 2017, 10:26 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
+1 for Banggood !
Oct 12, 2017, 05:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
FWIW, banggood has 44 items under lipo battery tester, the first being this one from their us warehouse https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-1...l?rmmds=search

When you click on the link, wait for the page to update it comes up with EU pricing, but updates to US in a second. Free shipping typically.

With Hobby King it is best to aggregate items to max out a given shipping weight/rate (made tougher now with the way they set up multi warehouse ordering -still seems best to keep individual orders from the same warehouse), but with banggood, you can order ten items from any warehouses and they parse them and ship individually with "free" shipping (shipping included probably a more accurate description, but often the final price is similar to pre shipping price from HK). My experience is that banggood has the international shipping figured out. It's like Christmas when i order stuff from them, every few days another little black bag with goodies shows up in my mail box!
How would this product work on my EzFly? The way I'm thinking, if it's just to mount on the plane I may not see nor hear the alarm from where I'm at when I'm controlling it. Is there a way to set it so I can hear it, or to connect it to something wirelessly so I can hear it buzzing, alerting me to the battery voltage I've set it to (probably around 11.8 - 12V until I get it dialed in)?
Oct 12, 2017, 06:22 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
How would this product work on my EzFly? The way I'm thinking, if it's just to mount on the plane I may not see nor hear the alarm from where I'm at when I'm controlling it. Is there a way to set it so I can hear it, or to connect it to something wirelessly so I can hear it buzzing, alerting me to the battery voltage I've set it to (probably around 11.8 - 12V until I get it dialed in)?
You CAN mount it on your plane if you want to , and use the alarm to notify you when the voltage drops to a preset level . The default is 3.3v per cell , but you can set the alarm to go off at 2.7v per cell ( minimum ) to 3.8v per cell ( maximum ) ...... using the button on the back of the unit . One guy I fly with uses one of those alarms , and it is loud .

But I don't put my battery checker on my plane . What I do is : fly my plane using a timer set to 5 minutes . When the timer goes off , I land the plane and then check the battery voltage . If the voltage is down to 3.8v or 3.9v per cell , that battery is done and I use another fully charged battery for the next flight . And I make a mental note : that battery on that plane will fly for 5 minutes .
If the voltage only drops down to 4.0v or 4.1v per cell after 5 minutes of flying , I know I can fly MORE than 5 minutes .... and will fly another 2 or 3 minutes , land the plane and check the battery again . If it is then down to 3.8v or 3.9v per cell , I make a mental note : that plane with that battery can fly for a total of 7 or 8 minutes .

If you keep a cell phone in your pocket , you may be able to use the timer on the cell phone . Or use a cheap kitchen timer , etc .



Flying yet ???????
Oct 16, 2017, 04:12 PM
Registered User
Balsa: No, haven't had a ride yet But I think I found a park on the way to meeting with a person about employment near my house. The following park is close enough to walk to (so I won't need a ride from friends / family), but I'm not sure it's open enough. Let me know your honest opinion! I'd rather wait than risk another failure...

Will this work? (0 min 10 sec)


If this will work, then I'm hoping this weekend, weather permitting. Just waiting on that LiPo battery checker to come in from BG. Once it comes in, I'll likely go over everyday before dawn to be there at sunrise and if there is wind or unfavorable weather at least I got a good workout
Last edited by FlyinWingFanatic; Oct 16, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Oct 16, 2017, 04:36 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Balsa: No, haven't had a ride yet But I think I found a park on the way to meeting with a person about employment near my house. The following park is close enough to walk to (so I won't need a ride from friends / family), but I'm not sure it's open enough. Let me know your honest opinion! I'd rather wait than risk another failure...

https://youtu.be/R2H9yUVXHg4

If this will work, then I'm hoping this weekend, weather permitting. Just waiting on that LiPo battery checker to come in from BG. Once it comes in, I'll likely go over everyday before dawn to be there at sunrise and if there is wind at least I got a good workout
That looks like a nice flying site , go to the MIDDLE of the park ( away from the trees ) and fly over the middle of the park . If it gets away from you and starts to get too close to the trees ....... kill the throttle , and hold a little right rudder and up elevator until it spirals down and hits the ground . It's better to sacrifice $2 worth of foam then it is to put $40 - $50 worth of electronics in the top of a tree .
Oct 16, 2017, 06:44 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
That looks like a nice flying site , go to the MIDDLE of the park ( away from the trees ) and fly over the middle of the park . If it gets away from you and starts to get too close to the trees ....... kill the throttle , and hold a little right rudder and up elevator until it spirals down and hits the ground . It's better to sacrifice $2 worth of foam then it is to put $40 - $50 worth of electronics in the top of a tree .
Super happy right now lol. I'll be sure to do as you suggest. Now only to patiently wait for the LiPo battery tester to get here.
Oct 16, 2017, 07:29 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Super happy right now lol. I'll be sure to do as you suggest. Now only to patiently wait for the LiPo battery tester to get here.
You don't HAVE to have a lipo battery tester to fly your plane . I'm positive your batteries will be safe if you fly 2 or 3 minutes on each fully charged battery .
Oct 16, 2017, 09:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
You don't HAVE to have a lipo battery tester to fly your plane . I'm positive your batteries will be safe if you fly 2 or 3 minutes on each fully charged battery .
I know, but I want to fly the most for what I have. I may head out there this weekend or later this week regardless just to get in some much needed flight time, even if the lipo battery tester doesn't come in this weekend. I guess some is better than none if I can get up and get out there
Oct 16, 2017, 10:27 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
I know, but I want to fly the most for what I have. I may head out there this weekend or later this week regardless just to get in some much needed flight time, even if the lipo battery tester doesn't come in this weekend. I guess some is better than none if I can get up and get out there
When I build a new plane , I can't WAIT ..... so I take it out and fly it immediately !


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article DJI R&D Engineers Answer Your Questions on RCGroups.com! Jim T. Graham Multirotor Drone Talk 176 Mar 15, 2017 06:34 AM
Discussion Gore asked about failed '10-year tipping' point Refuses to answer, enters SUV in snow kenpoprofessor Life, The Universe, and Politics 8 Jan 24, 2017 10:18 PM
Discussion Probably asked and answered but could use some help weimer20 Batteries and Chargers 4 Nov 04, 2011 04:11 PM
Already asked and answered BillHard Hand Launch 9 Jul 22, 2005 12:43 AM