Rib build QnA (I ask, you answer! :D ) - Page 4 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 06, 2017, 09:17 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Applying the glue using the 'brush' method worked fairly well, but it's actually quite difficult to do unless you're able to brush it on little by little across the build [instead of brushing a single large piece of foam like I tried]. The result was a few gaps and probably not the best seal, but I don't think a few small gaps will be detrimental, will it? Would you guys recommend going back with a glue gun to fill in as many holes as I can?
I would .
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2017, 12:14 AM
Registered User
Sweet, thanks for the photos!

Plugging in the lipo now to test electronics, then finishing the plane. Working on the wing polyhedral at the ends next. While I wait for the glue to dry/set so I can further work with the wing, I'm going to work on getting the rudder and elevator setup.
Oct 07, 2017, 12:25 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I would .
Might it be better to tape it, or would that make it too heavy like you said I don't want to do? It could add rigidity to the entire plane, could reduce damage upon impact (two things you expressly said NOT to do), but it could also help the air flow smoother over the plane to increase lift and greatly reduce drag.

E2A: and yes, I'm talking about taping the entire plane, not just over the holes.
Oct 07, 2017, 12:41 AM
Registered User
Alright, electronics work, polyhedrals almost done, now just need to find that spar and put the wing together, then figure out the rudder and elevator, and dry fit the wing to make sure it's going to sit square and level. Next time I post an update on the progress will be with a picture of the plane RTF! (don't want to bore you all with a play-by-play )
Oct 07, 2017, 01:13 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Might it be better to tape it, or would that make it too heavy like you said I don't want to do? It could add rigidity to the entire plane, could reduce damage upon impact (two things you expressly said NOT to do), but it could also help the air flow smoother over the plane to increase lift and greatly reduce drag.

E2A: and yes, I'm talking about taping the entire plane, not just over the holes.
A lighter plane will fly better and slower ..... and be less LIKELY to crash . And if it does crash , there's not so much energy in the impact .... kind of like dropping a feather on the ground .

A heavier plane HAS to fly faster and will be harder to control .... and therefore more LIKELY to crash . And when it does crash , there's more speed and energy .... kind of like throwing a bowling ball to the ground .

Smoother airflow and less drag are desirable for an airplane that you want to fly FAST , but not necessary for a plane that you want to fly slow .

I've experimented with many different ideas for EzFlys over the years , the best flying EzFlys are the ones with light wing loading . The WORST flying EzFly was one I completely covered in laminating film ..... it was a TOTAL waste of a LOT of work !
Oct 07, 2017, 01:16 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Alright, electronics work, polyhedrals almost done, now just need to find that spar and put the wing together, then figure out the rudder and elevator, and dry fit the wing to make sure it's going to sit square and level. Next time I post an update on the progress will be with a picture of the plane RTF! (don't want to bore you all with a play-by-play )
I don't mind the play-by-play .
Oct 07, 2017, 01:23 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
A lighter plane will fly better and slower ..... and be less LIKELY to crash . And if it does crash , there's not so much energy in the impact .... kind of like dropping a feather on the ground .

A heavier plane HAS to fly faster and will be harder to control .... and therefore more LIKELY to crash . And when it does crash , there's more speed and energy .... kind of like throwing a bowling ball to the ground .

Smoother airflow and less drag are desirable for an airplane that you want to fly FAST , but not necessary for a plane that you want to fly slow .

I've experimented with many different ideas for EzFlys over the years , the best flying EzFlys are the ones with light wing loading . The WORST flying EzFly was one I completely covered in laminating film ..... it was a TOTAL waste of a LOT of work !
Alright, I won't tape it at all. I appreciate the explanations and analogies - I think I understand now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I don't mind the play-by-play .
Alright then I'm looking into the wing spar but can't find my bad arrow that split on one end and I can't use anymore. I don't want to trim one of the five I have that are good [archery is the next hobby I'm going to get back into, and the great thing is I've got everything I need - except the time..] so my mom suggested possibly using a straightened coat hanger. Would that work for the wing spar?
Oct 07, 2017, 02:01 AM
Registered User
Just got the elevator taped on. Sort of messed up with the rudder attachment, but I can't easily fix it (most of my leftover foam has a bunch of cut marks now....). However, it's only the top part that doesn't show the 45d angle - the bottom part looks good so I'm going to try to fly 'er that way anyhow since it is a trainer and doesn't have to be the prettiest.
Oct 07, 2017, 02:07 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
so my mom suggested possibly using a straightened coat hanger. Would that work for the wing spar?
If you can't find anything else , it would be better than nothing .
Oct 07, 2017, 02:11 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Just got the elevator taped on. Sort of messed up with the rudder attachment, but I can't easily fix it (most of my leftover foam has a bunch of cut marks now....). However, it's only the top part that doesn't show the 45d angle - the bottom part looks good so I'm going to try to fly 'er that way anyhow since it is a trainer and doesn't have to be the prettiest.
Do you mean the top of the rudder doesn't have a 45 bevel cut ? The rudder won't be able to move both to the left and right without it .
Oct 07, 2017, 02:46 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Do you mean the top of the rudder doesn't have a 45 bevel cut ? The rudder won't be able to move both to the left and right without it .
I went ahead and recut it, but it's now able to bend almost 90d to one side (the side with the bevel cut). Evidently I cut it at too much of an angle, but I did get it taped and all. Only realized at what angle it was once I got it taped.

I'm going to finish the wings and putting the plane together tomorrow before the maiden flight. I have to wait until tomorrow to get the pushrods anyway, so it's probably best I get some sleep at least.
Last edited by FlyinWingFanatic; Oct 07, 2017 at 03:38 AM.
Oct 07, 2017, 03:37 AM
Registered User
Extreme Sports's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
so my mom suggested possibly using a straightened coat hanger. Would that work for the wing spar?
Mmm. That sounds novel, but v heavy. As B&C says, it will probably work IFF (if and only if ) you really have no alternative. But it will negate all the work you've put into keeping the plane light. Out of interest, could you please weigh the wire before you glue it in - I'd be interested to hear how it compares to a wood dowel.

Another option might be to cut two strips of thin cardboard (e.g. from a cereal box) about 20mm (3/4") wide and glue one on the top of the wing at the deepest point (probably at the back edge of the KFm step. The other goes on the bottom skin directly beneath the first. I've not tried this before, but in theory the combination of cardboard flanges and the foam sheer web should create a reasonably rigid wing (given this is not a very big wing). Even better still, you could use thin (but semi rigid) plastic - such as was used in old overhead projector transparencies. The key is to make sure the strip is properly bonded to the foam at all points along its length.
Oct 07, 2017, 03:44 AM
Registered User
Extreme Sports's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Thanks for the link and advice! I'll consider getting that one for my [hmm, what should I call it?] "second" / "final" / "next" Tx(?) Lol. While I'm not fond of using the one I got for a single plane, it will make introducing someone else to this hobby that much easier. I'm currently thinking my 5 yo nephew, then the three year old in a couple years, and then the one to be born any day once he's old enough (about 5 yo I guess) [btw, what is a good age to start kids with flying if they're interested?]. Might let some friends fly it sometime, but I really would like to keep this one in the family if I can, though we'll see how things go. I definitely don't need a plane cluttering my things unless it's flown somewhat regularly.
Definitely keep this little TX. With a simple bit of rewiring (adding a stereo jack) it makes an excellent, cheap 'slave' Tx for a buddy box system. With a little bit more rewiring, it works as a master too. Although I've got several more sophisticated radios now, my cheap Hobbyking one still gets used regularly for buddyboxing.
Oct 07, 2017, 06:42 AM
Registered User
flypaper 2's Avatar
Another thing to use for spars on these lighter planes is Veneer strips. You can get it at Home Depot.
It has glue on one side and irons on at low temp. I use the Monocoat iron. Comes in different woods as well as plastic but the plastic is not strong enough. I use the Birch , as it's a fairly tough wood.
Oct 07, 2017, 11:43 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
I went ahead and recut it, but it's now able to bend almost 90d to one side (the side with the bevel cut). Evidently I cut it at too much of an angle, but I did get it taped and all. Only realized at what angle it was once I got it taped.

I'm going to finish the wings and putting the plane together tomorrow before the maiden flight. I have to wait until tomorrow to get the pushrods anyway, so it's probably best I get some sleep at least.
If you are going to a store to buy push rods , also get a decent wing spar.... such as a wood dowel or bamboo skewers . A bag of skewers is usually only a dollar or two .


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article DJI R&D Engineers Answer Your Questions on RCGroups.com! Jim T. Graham Multirotor Drone Talk 176 Mar 15, 2017 07:34 AM
Discussion Gore asked about failed '10-year tipping' point Refuses to answer, enters SUV in snow kenpoprofessor Life, The Universe, and Politics 8 Jan 24, 2017 11:18 PM
Discussion Probably asked and answered but could use some help weimer20 Batteries and Chargers 4 Nov 04, 2011 05:11 PM
Already asked and answered BillHard Hand Launch 9 Jul 22, 2005 01:43 AM