Rib build QnA (I ask, you answer! :D ) - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 24, 2017, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports
When I read your first post, my initial though was: "Oh no, not another guy staring at the birds and wondering if he can make a flying machine....seemingly oblivious to the reality that humans have been flying and crashing for over 100 years, and have pretty much well figured it out"

But I see you are listening to the wise advise being offered. Welcome to the hobby and well done on a good call. For some reason taking advise seems the hardest part of this hobby for some. Not everyone's advise will be right, and not even the best advise can miraculously make you a competent designer, builder and pilot overnight, but it will make the rewarding journey there a lot shorter and less frustrating. It is a journey - there is so much to learn, and so many different options and solutions. Search around the beginner's forum when you have a chance - you will see that there are lots of folks in a similar situation and lots to be learned from their experiences.

Good luck and have fun.

Hang around on these forums and soon enough you will get a ring side seat watching someone insisting on ignoring advise...and no doubt have a chuckle at the road you might have followed

EDIT: OK, having read your other thread, I can only hope that the route you have sensibly chosen to follow on this thread helps narrow the vast gulf between your dreams, your current reality and what could be possible.
Thanks for the encouragement. I was slightly disappointed trainer isn't a flying wing but it's fine. Flying wings aren't known for their stability in flight.

I do have a vast gulf before me, but if nothing else I may just end up making a lot of new R/C friends (you guys/gals and others) who can fly with me, possibly hosting events like FliteTest does to teach newbs the art of designing, building, and flying Flying Wings. To my knowledge, they are the craft that's garnered the most interest as of late, and they'd be a prime candidate for full-contact (or nerf-modified) airborne battles.

There's other possibilities as well, but I don't like getting too far ahead of myself. Seeing as it's gotten me in trouble before, let's wait to see how my journey unfolds. I do hope to have a good chuckle at what could've been, though
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2017, 11:33 AM
Correx is (in my view) a very underrated material, particularly if you can get hold of the 2mm version. It is super cheap where I live (<$5 for a sheet 8' x 4'), though for some reason it seems to be quite pricey in the US.

This thread may be of interest - kinda documents my journey with correx flying wing style planes. The last 2 designs incorporate flight controllers and are theoretically capable of autonomous flight. I doubt that they are anywhere close to being capable of transporting live animals (well, maybe insects..): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tor-WITH-PLANS
Sep 24, 2017, 01:33 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
Thanks for the encouragement. I was slightly disappointed trainer isn't a flying wing but it's fine. Flying wings aren't known for their stability in flight.
This is the method I have used teaching dozens of people locally ( Portland Oregon area ) in the last 7 years ( and what I recommend on RC Groups ) : learn to crawl , then learn to walk , then learn to run . Some people progress quickly through the steps , some people never get beyond step one ...... but they are perfectly happy always flying a stable slow flyer .

For the people I have taught to fly locally :

Learning to crawl is usually the slow , stable EzFly in post #5 .

Learning to walk is usually the NON self-righting ( but very docile ) Giant Delta in post #3 .

Learning to run is usually the smaller , quicker and more agile Simplest Simple Delta in the video below ↓ , when they can fly the smaller SSD ..... they're ready to fly any flying wing .

Simplest simple delta (1 min 20 sec)

Sometimes I use this plane for teaching a new first timer , be sure to watch the landing at the end :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
Sep 24, 2017, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports
Correx is (in my view) a very underrated material, particularly if you can get hold of the 2mm version. It is super cheap where I live (<$5 for a sheet 8' x 4'), though for some reason it seems to be quite pricey in the US.

This thread may be of interest - kinda documents my journey with correx flying wing style planes. The last 2 designs incorporate flight controllers and are theoretically capable of autonomous flight. I doubt that they are anywhere close to being capable of transporting live animals (well, maybe insects..): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tor-WITH-PLANS
Haha, I can always start with insects But in all seriousness, I'll check it out. Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
This is the method I have used teaching dozens of people locally ( Portland Oregon area ) in the last 7 years ( and what I recommend on RC Groups ) : learn to crawl , then learn to walk , then learn to run . Some people progress quickly through the steps , some people never get beyond step one ...... but they are perfectly happy always flying a stable slow flyer .

For the people I have taught to fly locally :

Learning to crawl is usually the slow , stable EzFly in post #5 .

Learning to walk is usually the NON self-righting ( but very docile ) Giant Delta in post #3 .

Learning to run is usually the smaller , quicker and more agile Simplest Simple Delta in the video below ↓ , when they can fly the smaller SSD ..... they're ready to fly any flying wing .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeUSKLiAkSQ

Sometimes I use this plane for teaching a new first timer , be sure to watch the landing at the end :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Xyjy3fcpE
And here I was hoping I could start work on my own flying wing come the start of the year. Maybe I will, as I do tend to be a quick learn. Not sure about flying, though...

Attached are the pictures of the parts I have for this build. I'm thinking I should probably just invest in new parts, as I'm not familiar with the servos that are in the rag-tag team of vehicles I have. Most are too large to make getting off the ground feasible imo. That sucks, but if the price is low enough I may still be able to get this started this week so I can "take off" sooner Maybe, say, $20. Would this be possible at all?

If it's at all possible, I do have a decent transmitter I used for the off-road car (pic incl. below). It's probably my best bet for the cheapo-build I'm trying to do to start with. I simply can't afford a new transmitter, even with what little money I have to spend. If I can find an ESC and a couple servos for under $20 (incl. shipping) it may be possible. Otherwise, I'll have to try to do some odd jobs until I can get a steady paycheck coming in. As I said, maybe a month tops for that if the job pans out that's looking promising.

The good thing is, I may have a battery and a prop I can use. Maybe not, though. This is a pretty far-fetched idea, but with it being a trainer we may be able to make something work. I draw your attention to the dragonfly battery and tail section. The battery is very small (only 50 mAh) and the motor is quite small as well. However, if I can possibly make this a smaller indoor build it may yet fly. Let me know your thoughts on that, as I've included pics of the motor and battery down below as well. I do have limited experience in sodering, none in shrink wrapping wires with that special black tape (shows how much I know haha), and enough confidence to blow a ship! Nowhere, lol.

I was thinking of using the wire that's protecting the prop on the dragonfly for the rear wheel, and getting something else for the front wheels, something a lot more akin to wheels so I can properly take off and land. That's the one thing all my builds will have - actual wheels. Call me too realistic, but I don't like the idea of hand launching aircraft, no matter how safe, common, or popular it is.

After I have the parts to this I'll make my build thread to document my journey via flight. Hope all goes well, but regardless, sit back and enjoy the show once it gets started. I'm sure there will be plenty of crashes, bloopers, and just plain fails. There will also hopefully be plenty of successful flights, takeoffs, and landings as well, though.
Sep 24, 2017, 07:07 PM
In My Opinion :
I don't think it would be worth it to try to make any of those toy-grade RC electronics work for an EzFly . You would be better off getting a few $$ together and starting with a hobby-grade transmitter/receiver . The least expensive hobby-gradeTX/RX I know of is this one from HobbyKing , I've owned/used the HK TX/RX in the past .... and they work well : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobby-ki...___store=en_us

If you were to get that TX/RX , two servos and a receiver battery holder , you could start flying practice right away with an EzFly set up as a glider ( no motor ) . Then later when you have a few more $$ ..... get a motor/propeller , ESC and lipo battery to add to the EzFly glider .

Here are inexpensive servos from HobbyKing ( you'll need two ) :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt900-m...___store=en_us

Here is a receiver battery holder ( holds 4 AA batteries ) that will power the receiver/servos on the plane :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/4-x-aa-b...___store=en_us

All that ↑ will be $37 plus shipping .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Sep 24, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
Sep 24, 2017, 07:33 PM
I think I can make the $50 work in two weeks. Thank you!

Btw, how can you tell the parts are toy grade and not hobby grade? It'd be nice to know the difference for future reference.
Sep 24, 2017, 08:32 PM
Quote:
I think I can make the $50 work in two weeks. Thank you!

Btw, how can you tell the parts are toy grade and not hobby grade? It'd be nice to know the difference for future reference.
RC toys usually have transmitters that will only work with the ( usually ) all-in-one PCB ( Printed Circuit Board ) that's inside the toy . There is usually no separate receiver , ESC , and servos that can be interchangeable to other RC vehicles . And that toy transmitter you have is only 2 channel , which would be very limiting for an airplane .

Hobby grade RC electronics are interchangeable and can be used in different combinations , configurations , etc . For example : a 6 channel receiver can operate a motor/ESC ( or two , or three , etc ) on the throttle channel ( by plugging the ESC into the throttle channel ) . You can choose which channel your control surface servos will be plugged into ..... to operate the control surfaces . You can choose which channel you would like to operate flaps , retractable landing gear , bomb drops , etc .

And the hobby-grade transmitters can be used for multiple receivers/planes as long as the receiver is the correct protocol for the transmitter .

Sep 24, 2017, 08:55 PM
Quote:
RC toys usually have transmitters that will only work with the ( usually ) all-in-one PCB ( Printed Circuit Board ) that's inside the toy . There is usually no separate receiver , ESC , and servos that can be interchangeable to other RC vehicles . And that toy transmitter you have is only 2 channel , which would be very limiting for an airplane .

Hobby grade RC electronics are interchangeable and can be used in different combinations , configurations , etc . For example : a 6 channel receiver can operate a motor/ESC ( or two , or three , etc ) on the throttle channel ( by plugging the ESC into the throttle channel ) . You can choose which channel your control surface servos will be plugged into ..... to operate the control surfaces . You can choose which channel you would like to operate flaps , retractable landing gear , bomb drops , etc .

And the hobby-grade transmitters can be used for multiple receivers/planes as long as the receiver is the correct protocol for the transmitter .

Ahh, so that's why I didn't recognize the servos and whatnot. And that's why they have a circuit board. I was wondering about that. Shucks.

Thanks for the info!
Sep 24, 2017, 09:49 PM
flyin' fool
It's illegal in my country to fly a model airplane on 27 MHz. I sure it's the same there.
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 25, 2017 at 01:57 PM.
Sep 30, 2017, 04:13 PM
Just ordered the electronics for the EzFly!! I'll create a new thread once I've completed the build and gotten to fly it, as the first video will be my first attempts at flying the darned thing LOL.
Oct 05, 2017, 09:47 PM
Quote:
In My Opinion :
I don't think it would be worth it to try to make any of those toy-grade RC electronics work for an EzFly . You would be better off getting a few $$ together and starting with a hobby-grade transmitter/receiver . The least expensive hobby-gradeTX/RX I know of is this one from HobbyKing , I've owned/used the HK TX/RX in the past .... and they work well : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobby-ki...___store=en_us

If you were to get that TX/RX , two servos and a receiver battery holder , you could start flying practice right away with an EzFly set up as a glider ( no motor ) . Then later when you have a few more $$ ..... get a motor/propeller , ESC and lipo battery to add to the EzFly glider .

Here are inexpensive servos from HobbyKing ( you'll need two ) :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt900-m...___store=en_us

Here is a receiver battery holder ( holds 4 AA batteries ) that will power the receiver/servos on the plane :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/4-x-aa-b...___store=en_us

All that ↑ will be $37 plus shipping .
All the parts came in today and I got two pieces / sheets of foam (it's all the Dollar Tree I went to had). So, now how am I supposed to be able to program the transmitter? In the product link it shows some sort of computer program, but I don't see any indication as to what that is or how to get it. I'm guessing I might have to get some sort of a PC Cable now (thought it came with one, but my eyes deceived me), but is it ready out of the box if I don't want any advanced program controls (mixing, etc)? I'm going to start building this after I finish watering, as I don't want to risk getting the foam wet in between switching the sprinklers to water the lawn. Thanks guys!
Oct 06, 2017, 12:39 AM
Attached is what I got accomplished today, and also attached is the parts I got with the transmitter. I plan to cut and build the EzFly TOMORROW! I seriously want to finish, but I need sleep lol. Better to do the precision cuts (as well as trace out exactly what needs cut) tomorrow when I'm well rested, no matter how much I want to complete the build tonight.
Oct 06, 2017, 12:44 AM
Quote:
All the parts came in today and I got two pieces / sheets of foam (it's all the Dollar Tree I went to had). So, now how am I supposed to be able to program the transmitter? In the product link it shows some sort of computer program, but I don't see any indication as to what that is or how to get it. I'm guessing I might have to get some sort of a PC Cable now (thought it came with one, but my eyes deceived me), but is it ready out of the box if I don't want any advanced program controls (mixing, etc)? I'm going to start building this after I finish watering, as I don't want to risk getting the foam wet in between switching the sprinklers to water the lawn. Thanks guys!
Yes, that transmitter is a basic transmitter. You can get a programming cable for it to connect to a computer, but it's not worth it for the very limited programming that you can do . It's pretty much ready to use as is, tomorrow I'll show you how to connect everything.
Oct 06, 2017, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Yes, that transmitter is a basic transmitter. You can get a programming cable for it to connect to a computer, but it's not worth it for the very limited programming that you can do . It's pretty much ready to use as is, tomorrow I'll show you how to connect everything.
Great, thank you!

I had to add a couple more things to the rough-hewn foam plans, but it should all *just* fit. Almost didn't add the top stabilizer(?) between the tail and wing, as well as the top front wing support (extra foam lining the front of the wing). Seems I have a bit more jig-sawing to work out, but I'll get 'er done tomorrow so I can fly her Saturday! Then next Friday I should have the preliminary FHF video out in the new thread.
Oct 06, 2017, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Once you are ready for a flying wing, you will need to reprogramme the Tx for elevons. To do that you will need the USB cable sold by HK (it is not just any old USB cable, so you need to get the right one). But until then, B&C is spot on - the radio should work fine out of the box, and you will just need to make sure that the servos etc are mounted and connected to move the flight surfaces in the right direction. Back when many folks on this forum learned to fly, there were no programmable radios, so this was the only way to set up a plane. So I guess B&C will be taking you on a short history tour as well