Rib build QnA (I ask, you answer! :D ) - Page 12 - RC Groups
Nov 23, 2017, 06:47 PM
I just tried to make push rods from egg crate and paperclips (seeing as it would require no tape, zip ties, or rubber bands) and I'm still getting frustrated! I just want to fly my plane and I can't bc I can't seem to be as precise as I need to be without getting frustrated enough that I just want to be done with the hobby. Thankfully, I'm not that daft, but this is why diy push rods are COMPLETELY out of the equation. I already ordered the push rods from heads up hobby before seeing Extreme's post. I just fear even with the new ones I'll be getting I will still get frustrated due to the difficulty of getting the push rod length and where I place the L and Z "just right" so it's not too loose but still fits since that's what's so frustrating imo.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 23, 2017, 08:04 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinWingFanatic
I just tried to make push rods from egg crate and paperclips (seeing as it would require no tape, zip ties, or rubber bands) and I'm still getting frustrated! I just want to fly my plane and I can't bc I can't seem to be as precise as I need to be without getting frustrated enough that I just want to be done with the hobby. Thankfully, I'm not that daft, but this is why diy push rods are COMPLETELY out of the equation. I already ordered the push rods from heads up hobby before seeing Extreme's post. I just fear even with the new ones I'll be getting I will still get frustrated due to the difficulty of getting the push rod length and where I place the L and Z "just right" so it's not too loose but still fits since that's what's so frustrating imo.
Do you still have what you were using in your video ? ..... that seemed to be working just fine .
Nov 23, 2017, 08:40 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Here's a way to make push rods fully adjustable.
Make a wire over-length push rod. Z-bends or snake bends work well and are totally reliable.
Cut it at some suitable location and then join it by using a connector from the thing depicted below.
You can use the whole brass connector and its 2 screws or you can cut it in half and use 1 screw.
To set it up you install it with the screw(s) loose and set both the servo and the control surface to zero and then tighten the screw(s)
Nov 24, 2017, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Do you still have what you were using in your video ? ..... that seemed to be working just fine .
In the carnage of the first two flights a couple paperclip ends were lost. Then, in trying to repair it I scrapped that idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Here's a way to make push rods fully adjustable.
Make a wire over-length push rod. Z-bends or snake bends work well and are totally reliable.
Cut it at some suitable location and then join it by using a connector from the thing depicted below.
You can use the whole brass connector and its 2 screws or you can cut it in half and use 1 screw.
To set it up you install it with the screw(s) loose and set both the servo and the control surface to zero and then tighten the screw(s)
Is that just a brass connector? I'll have to see about it!
Nov 24, 2017, 03:09 PM
Yep! The brass connectors are retained in the plastic strip by the screws and are easily removed.
Look for a Terminal Strip or Terminal Block Like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Wire...wAAOSwm2xZnnV1
Nov 24, 2017, 03:32 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
'Z' bends are horrible things, to make and to install or remove.

Try a 'keeper', wire of a commercial plastic one, makes life easier.

Ray.
Nov 24, 2017, 04:38 PM
Ray, I am gob smacked that a man with your almost supernatural building skills has the slightest difficulty with forming a z bend.
My mental picture would be of you grabbing a piece of wire and some needle nose pliers, a brief blur of activity, and behold... A perfectly formed Z bend.
Nov 24, 2017, 05:50 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
In the carnage of the first two flights a couple paperclip ends were lost. Then, in trying to repair it I scrapped that idea
I recommend doing the same pushrod system ( IT WORKED ) that you had in your video , or making a new idea ....... which ever is less stressful .
Nov 26, 2017, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
'Z' bends are horrible things, to make and to install or remove.

Try a 'keeper', wire of a commercial plastic one, makes life easier.

Ray.
I like the idea of the middle part where I could lengthen or shorten as needed. May make my life a lot easier.
Dec 06, 2017, 01:30 PM
Should I get white or black foam for the Super Easy? Black would be easier to see in the daytime, but white would be easier to see at night. Maybe one color for the wings, and the other for the "fuselage"?
Dec 06, 2017, 01:31 PM
If I wanted one of each, black for the wings so it stands out during the day (main objective atm) and white for the fuselage so it stands out against the wings regardless would probably be best. And I can add small glo-sticks to the wings for night-time flying (right? lol)
Dec 06, 2017, 01:53 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Should I get white or black foam for the Super Easy? Black would be easier to see in the daytime, but white would be easier to see at night. Maybe one color for the wings, and the other for the "fuselage"?
The paper skins on the black Dollar Tree foam board are not as strong as the paper skins on the white Dollar Tree foam board , so I don't recommend using the black Dollar Tree foam board . For visibility and orientation , you can put a few duct tape stripes on the wings . DO NOT use anything wet ( like paint ) on the DT foam board , because it will cause warping .

Before attempting to fly at night , become competent at flying in the daytime . And make your first night flying attempts at dusk , not in complete darkness .
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 06, 2017 at 02:21 PM.
Dec 06, 2017, 02:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
And I can add small glo-sticks to the wings for night-time flying (right? lol)
For night flying , get the brightest LEDs you can find .... with different colors for the left wing , right wing and fuselage . And put lights on top ( as well as the bottom ) for when the plane is banking with the TOP facing toward you .

I get LEDs from HobbyPartz .... VERY bright on 12v . The white LEDs are so bright you can't look directly at them !
http://www.hobbypartz.com/rc-led-lights.html
Dec 06, 2017, 02:50 PM
Quote:
The paper skins on the black Dollar Tree foam board are not as strong as the paper skins on the white Dollar Tree foam board , so I don't recommend using the black Dollar Tree foam board . For visibility and orientation , you can put a few duct tape stripes on the wings . DO NOT use anything wet ( like paint ) on the DT foam board , because it will cause warping .

Before attempting to fly at night , become competent at flying in the daytime . And make your first night flying attempts at dusk , not in complete darkness .
Purchased 5 sheets of the white foam board. Now I have enough to make 4 Super Easy planes
Quote:
For night flying , get the brightest LEDs you can find .... with different colors for the left wing , right wing and fuselage . And put lights on top ( as well as the bottom ) for when the plane is banking with the TOP facing toward you .

I get LEDs from HobbyPartz .... VERY bright on 12v . The white LEDs are so bright you can't look directly at them !
http://www.hobbypartz.com/rc-led-lights.html
Putting them at a diagonal is smart! I probably wouldn't have thought of that at first. My suspicion is you didn't either? Lol, jk

I have to call some places and get my youtube video ready for tomorrow before I put the Super Easy's together, but I'll likely get it done soon.
Dec 06, 2017, 03:40 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
My suspicion is you didn't either? Lol, jk
Many trials and many errors ......